give me some ideas....

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by funkymann1, Apr 18, 2015.

1. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

my garage is my shop....i have painted a few dozen guitars & always use 2k urethane...after the body is wetsanded i usually screw the stick back into the neck pocket & store it in a 5 guitar stand that has foam bars on the bottom to rest on...well...needless to say i went to get the one guitar i had on there this morning to start assembly & the foam melted into the bottom of the body...i had to wet sand it off again...must of happend sometime between yesterday & now cause i picked it up yesterday to look at it...i dont remember the heat being that bad last night here in south Florida....only thing i can think of is the foam is getting old & is deteriorating & melted into my finish...
    can you think of something i can use to line the bottom bars of the stand that i will never have to worry about this again?...maybe some short hair carpet?...what do the factories use?
    & yes the paint was fully cured....did it over a week ago...

2. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

What about hanging the guitar?

3. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

i dont trust doing that....i have no were to do it either...

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I made a small stand, one leg goes into the brdge pup route the other the neck pocket where it is screwed in just enough to hold through one of the neck screw openings. The 2 legs are attached to a 3/4 inch thick plywood roughly the same width as the body but longer than the body (centered or bridge leg slightly towards edge) for proper weight distribution. It comes in handy when I'm not getting back to the project right away.

5. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

I'm pretty sure the foam is old and not good anymore, try some old t shirt rags around the foam.

6. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I usually place small towels over anything that might interfere with guitar finish, whether it is urethane or lacquer.

7. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

Cured maybe, but completely outgassed? Some, such as appliance epoxy (a lacquer) can take a week to outgas. More if several coats are applied. The solvent outgassing can melt rubber.

In any case, I'd replace it with flexible PVC tubing. PVC is one of the most chemical resistant common materials, and when plasticzed is made into things like medical tubing. Not as soft as spongy rubber, but soft enough that it won't leave dents in something sitting on it.

However, I'd second the "hanging" solution and recommend you put together or find a way to do so. Does your garage have rafters? Exposed pipes/conduit? Got a place you can install a shower curtain or sturdy towel rack? A stout metal clothes hanger, stretched into a long double strand can hold any guitar. I put them through a tuner key hole if one is empty, make a loop around the neck at the nut if the tuners are all in. These are even easier if it's a neck only. For a body only, a piece of scrap wood cut to fit the neck pocket, with matching screw holes is cheap and easy to make, install on the body, uninstall when done. A single hole in the other end to hang the thing from, and you're in business. Fewer things can go wrong, or get on it, the higher off the floor.

8. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I hang mine from the garage door track on one side of the garage or the other. If I need to work in that area I can also clamp it upright with the side clamp of my workbench.

9. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

What I've been considering to do is make a little rig, that mounts up from the ceiling, and attaches to the body in place of the neck. Up and out of the way so not taking up space in the garage, and can dry in peace.

10. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

Lacquer out gasses for weeks but he used automotive 2k urethane, it dries by chemical reaction in a few days.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.