Give me an album that's all killer no filler!

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
Perfect in every way.
1679797397750.png

goonie

Friend of Leo's

I adore that album... But Jump Street and Love Me Tomorrow are filler. IMHO YMMV etc etc

I would argue many (perhaps most) of the other great albums mentioned on this thread also contain a dab or two of filler ... Maybe I'm too tough.

I was thinking of this thread earlier today while listening to Billy Joel's The Stranger, which strangely (haha) hasn't had a mention. Or maybe not so strange given it's piano-based pop and this is a guitar forum.

If you're a songwriter looking for inspiration, the songwriting on that album is incredible. One of the weaker tracks is Just The Way You Are, which won Song of the Year :)

BrazHog

Tele-Holic
I would argue many (perhaps most) of the other great albums mentioned on this thread also contain a dab or two of filler ... Maybe I'm too tough.

Yes, and also one would have to define what "filler" is... usually it means "a song that I don't like".

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I adore that album... But Jump Street and Love Me Tomorrow are filler. IMHO YMMV etc etc

I mostly agree with you. I belong to a car forum also, and it has an off topic area similar to this. There was a similar thread there and a couple of people listed like 20 albums that were 'perfect' lol No way. To me, there probably aren't more than 5-10 in the whole world that I'd consider perfect (or actually, close to perfect).

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home

I was thinking of this thread earlier today while listening to Billy Joel's The Stranger, which strangely (haha) hasn't had a mention. Or maybe not so strange given it's piano-based pop and this is a guitar forum.

If you're a songwriter looking for inspiration, the songwriting on that album is incredible. One of the weaker tracks is Just The Way You Are, which won Song of the Year :)
After another re-listen I won’t surrender the point. To me a filler track is one my mind wanders waiting for the next cut. Doesn’t happen to me on this album.
I appreciate the input, though.

DekeDog

Friend of Leo's
Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, and I might add:

Heavy Weather- Weather Report
58957: The Bluegrass Guitar Collection- Tony Rice
Midnight Blue- Kenny Burrell
Live at the Village Vanguard- Bill Evans
'Til the Medicine Takes- Widespread Panic
No Guts, No Glory- Moe
Mystery to Me, Bare Trees- Fleetwood Mac

Anything by Miles Davis, T. Monk, Weather Report/Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins, Paul Simon and Garfunkel, Doc Watson, Grateful Dead, David Grisman, Allman Bros., Howlin' Wolf, Rory Gallagher live albums, Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West, Tom Petty, Tom Waits...

goonie

Friend of Leo's
After another re-listen I won’t surrender the point. To me a filler track is one my mind wanders waiting for the next cut. Doesn’t happen to me on this album.
I appreciate the input, though.

I get what you're saying. They're not so bad that they spoil the journey. I think there needs to be a distinction between good filler and bad filler :)

Mister_Baddabing

TDPRI Member
I never skip a track when playing any of these:

Pink Floyd - Wish you were here/Animals
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
Van Halen - First Album
Led Zeppelin - II
Jonny Lang - Lie to Me
Robin Trower - Bridge of SIghs
Def Leppard - Pyromania
CSN&Y - Deja Vu
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Aerosmith - Rocks

goonie

Friend of Leo's
I'm sure Rumours has been mentioned but did you know Stevie Nicks was bitter for many years about the band's decision to leave Silver Springs off the album due to space constraints? A sign of a great album when a song like that gets cut.