Girl Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
“I want” is the key, and it doesn’t discriminate regarding men or women.

These shows perpetuate and promote the transactional exploits of entitlement and narcissism. Elevated sense of self importance, and the minimizing of the worth and opinions of others who are not onboard.

It’s being played out on social media and dating apps. Unrealistic, emotional, and delusional thinking, and expectations congratulated by consensus opinion, alongside the vilifying of logic and unselfishness.

No matter what incantations Hollywood and TV hammer into people’s heads, the real world is not our oyster, there are ultimately consequences for behavior, no matter how many lies are being entertained in fantasy world.

Demanding people ultimately find out one way or another that life doesn’t always work out in their favor.
This in a heartbeat! It explains, along with such meaningless garbage phrases as "my/our happy place" why the West is pretty sick right now.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I definitely care what the kitchen looks like. In fact, I care about the interior design and furnishings of my home. Men have tastes too.
On the other hand, a wise man once told me that you should never get into an argument with your spouse/girlfriend over such matters. She's the final arbiter of such matters. You're not going to win! It's a pick your battles situation.
That said, your home reflects who you are IMO. Most people spend more time in their homes than anywhere else. You should like or enjoy your home including its style.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
During the early part of 2020 we undertook some extensive ground floor renovations at the Cyberi4n household. Namely converting the living room and kitchen into open-plan living. It took a substantial amount of persuading on my behalf that my solution was both practical AND sensible, and in the end required my mocking-up of the solution into a 3D digital render in order to get my point across. We both got involved in the final finish, although some details I left largely to my wife, and I picked the battles that mattered most to me, and left the ones that didnt. Learnt a lot about myself AND my wife in that process. Now the work's been done, we cant imagine the house any other way, so it was definitely worth it, and it was styled overall by us both.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
So I was sitting at the dentist's office getting my teeth cleaned. On the TV screen was this HGTV show about this couple getting their kitchen remodeled. The girlfriend/significant other told the contractor "I want this space to reflect who we are as a couple." I thought to myself what the heck does that even mean? I must have said it out loud (between scrapes) because the hygienist immediately answered "She wants it done exactly to her specifications or she won't be happy." I sat and thought about it. A guy doesn't much care what his kitchen looks like-there's a refrigerator to store the food, a table to put the food on, a chair to sit on while eating the food...and I realized she was exactly right.

I feel like maybe I'm starting to crack the code.
I've said it here before.....I pretty much stopped watching any of the HGTV-type shows when I realized (yeah, I can be slow) that they were NOT about actual "home improvement".....and ALL about spending money. (usually other people's)
I used to think those self-centered, entitled people on these shows (both men and women) were mostly scripted to make a sponsor's products appealing, until a young couple exactly like them bought the house next door to me, and began to have it remodeled. The young (beautiful) princess was so picky and demanding, that the first contractor actually quit the job over her demands.
I can be pretty particular about some things in my home.....choosing mid-century modern design whenever possible, but not picking at every minute flaw I can find with a microscope. Life's too short!

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I came home to find all the furniture gone (exception was dining room table that had been my great grandparents) and every
single wedding gift gone.
If she'd been able to get the dishwasher out, she'd have taken it.
"What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine, what's ours is mine"......you can't fix crazy.

Well, it's knowin' that your door is always open
And you furniture is GONE
- George Carlin, his song parody of Gentle on My Mind

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I came home to find all the furniture gone (exception was dining room table that had been my great grandparents) and every
single wedding gift gone.
If she'd been able to get the dishwasher out, she'd have taken it.
"What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine, what's ours is mine"......you can't fix crazy.
Yup.

When we were dividing everything up in the divorce it is was, “my family gave us this so it’s mine, your family gave us this so it’s yours, your family gave us this but I want to keep it.”

Then we were living together while I was waiting to close on my new place. She had bought me out so I was playing rent. I finally got my closing on the last day of the month, but it was a Friday. I didn’t want the people helping me move have to take a day off of work so I asked her if I could move Saturday the 1st instead of Friday the 30th. She said sure if I wanted to pay another month’s rent.

I don’t know what is wrong with me for putting up with that for so long. The last draw was after we had divorced, but still kept in touch. She was an avid photographer and had thousands of pics so when my sister died I asked if she could send any pics she had of her. Six weeks later I get six pics and my sister wasn’t even in two of them. I don’t care how much I hated someone, I’d never do that to them. I said to myself, I thought I could let bygones be bygones, but that was the last draw. I ignored every communication from her after that.

I take full responsibility for putting up with that. I plead insanity though. :)

fleezinator

Tele-Holic
I definitely care what the kitchen looks like. In fact, I care about the interior design and furnishings of my home. Men have tastes too.
On the other hand, a wise man once told me that you should never get into an argument with your spouse/girlfriend over such matters. She's the final arbiter of such matters. You're not going to win! It's a pick your battles situation.
That said, your home reflects who you are IMO. Most people spend more time in their homes than anywhere else. You should like or enjoy your home including its style.

Quoted for relevance and succinct accuracy. Took this slowpoke years to learn this.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My wife doesn't read this forum, so I don't get any brownie points for saying this.

She picked out the vinyl plank, tile, granite, fancy sink, new furniture, new paint, and decided we needed a detached 3-car garage.

She picked out the features (like max towing capacity) on our F-150 and ordered it; found, researched, and inspected our latest boat; decided we should learn to scuba dive (22 years ago); has my back when I go up the anchor line with bloody fish hanging on my stringer (sharks); and when I said I was going to sell a gun to buy a new guitar, she said, "Keep the gun and just buy the guitar".

I got lucky.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
It is all corporations controlling & manipulating your life. No more, no less. And once anyone, least women, have has been exposed to it, the hook is already in your nose.

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
I do all of the cooking in this house except for the occasional "I'm feeling horrible about not cooking for my family" cooking. My opinion about the kitchen still means squat. She'd be happy with no stove and two microwaves.

Toast

Tele-Afflicted
Back when was I younger I went out with a woman and we came back to my place. At one point she said, "Do you know you don't anything on your walls?" At that moment I realized that my apartment walls did reflect something about who I was. I was a simple caveman. To this day, I pay attention to those things because they actually matter. I want my living space to reflect something about my nature. I don't want my decor blank because I don't think I'm that boring. I have my boring moments though.

Last edited:

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
It is all corporations controlling & manipulating your life.
I'm not sure that's always the case but it certainly is true for the guitar world. The next"gee-whiz" pedal, amp, rack gear, guitar can't hit the shelves fast enough after the initial reviews. "You gotta get it." As an example, I give you the new UAFX "amp-in-a-box" pedals. YouTube gurus couldn't praise it fast enough and initial distribution was sucked up. Now anxious folks are salivating like Pavlov's dogs for the next mass distribution.
When someone created a bogus story about release of a new American Classic series to replace the AO series it created immediate anticipation.
I'm not sure why so many get sucked in by the YouTube shills.
Of course, at some point you get old or wise enough to have zero xxxx's to give about many things.

Last edited:

raito

Poster Extraordinaire
I tell homeowners whom I work for that I can only deal with/take orders from, one mouth and/or mind.

85% of the time that’s the female.

95% of the time I can predict what wifey will want . Especially these days .

White/black/grey/oatmeal , quartz counters, and some form of subway tile.

When they say they want it to reflect who they “are” , what they really mean is they wanted to reflect who they “watch”

(pic removed for redundancy)
I'd think you'd like that. When the next big thing comes along, another remodel!

'Who we are as a couple' would have most kitchens looking like concentration camps.

Fortunately at my home, I am the master of the kitchen, as I do most of the cooking. I care less about style than function, though I did lose the battle to put in commercial stainless. Probably rightly, as potential buyers (and there won't be one util I'm dead) won't understand the choice. I certainly don't want some faux-retro, unless it's retro all the way back to baroque and I'm the aristocrat.

Status
Not open for further replies.