Girl Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
So I was sitting at the dentist's office getting my teeth cleaned. On the TV screen was this HGTV show about this couple getting their kitchen remodeled. The girlfriend/significant other told the contractor "I want this space to reflect who we are as a couple." I thought to myself what the heck does that even mean? I must have said it out loud (between scrapes) because the hygienist immediately answered "She wants it done exactly to her specifications or she won't be happy." I sat and thought about it. A guy doesn't much care what his kitchen looks like-there's a refrigerator to store the food, a table to put the food on, a chair to sit on while eating the food...and I realized she was exactly right.

I feel like maybe I'm starting to crack the code.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I tell homeowners whom I work for that I can only deal with/take orders from, one mouth and/or mind.

85% of the time that’s the female.

95% of the time I can predict what wifey will want . Especially these days .

White/black/grey/oatmeal , quartz counters, and some form of subway tile.

When they say they want it to reflect who they “are” , what they really mean is they wanted to reflect who they “watch”

1655986003062.jpeg

Last edited:

Doctor of Teleocity
“I want” is the key, and it doesn’t discriminate regarding men or women.

These shows perpetuate and promote the transactional exploits of entitlement and narcissism. Elevated sense of self importance, and the minimizing of the worth and opinions of others who are not onboard.

It’s being played out on social media and dating apps. Unrealistic, emotional, and delusional thinking, and expectations congratulated by consensus opinion, alongside the vilifying of logic and unselfishness.

No matter what incantations Hollywood and TV hammer into people’s heads, the real world is not our oyster, there are ultimately consequences for behavior, no matter how many lies are being entertained in fantasy world.

Demanding people ultimately find out one way or another that life doesn’t always work out in their favor.

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
She meant who I am as a couple.

Came home from work one day and my ex had all new furniture in the living room. Awful blue plaid farm house furniture. Didn’t even mention it. That kind of disrespect is of the many reasons she’s my ex.
I came home to find all the furniture gone (exception was dining room table that had been my great grandparents) and every
single wedding gift gone.
If she'd been able to get the dishwasher out, she'd have taken it.
"What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine, what's ours is mine"......you can't fix crazy.

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
I live in a nice big 5 year old home that my Son gave me when I retired (he builds homes). It has a huge island in the kitchen with stools and a nice attached dining room with dining table. I live by myself. I eat all my meals on the coffee table in the living room and watch tv. I do have to wipe the dust off
the table and island occasionally.

Brad Pittiful

Telefied
Silver Supporter
from the film...mr blandings builds his dream house...talking about the colors she wants to use in the house

Muriel Blandings: I want it to be a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green. Now, the dining room. I'd like yellow. Not just yellow; a very gay yellow. Something bright and sunshine-y. I tell you, Mr. PeDelford, if you'll send one of your men to the grocer for a pound of their best butter, and match that exactly, you can't go wrong! Now, this is the paper we're going to use in the hall. It's flowered, but I don't want the ceiling to match any of the colors of the flowers. There's some little dots in the background, and it's these dots I want you to match. Not the little greenish dot near the hollyhock leaf, but the little bluish dot between the rosebud and the delphinium blossom. Is that clear? Now the kitchen is to be white. Not a cold, antiseptic hospital white. A little warmer, but still, not to suggest any other color but white. Now for the powder room - in here - I want you to match this thread, and don't lose it. It's the only spool I have and I had an awful time finding it! As you can see, it's practically an apple red. Somewhere between a healthy winesap and an unripened Jonathan. Oh, excuse me...

Mr. PeDelford: You got that Charlie?

Charlie, Painter: Red, green, blue, yellow, white.

Mr. PeDelford: Check.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
So I was sitting at the dentist's office getting my teeth cleaned. On the TV screen was this HGTV show about this couple getting their kitchen remodeled. The girlfriend/significant other told the contractor "I want this space to reflect who we are as a couple." I thought to myself what the heck does that even mean? I must have said it out loud (between scrapes) because the hygienist immediately answered "She wants it done exactly to her specifications or she won't be happy." I sat and thought about it. A guy doesn't much care what his kitchen looks like-there's a refrigerator to store the food, a table to put the food on, a chair to sit on while eating the food...and I realized she was exactly right.

I can't understand not caring about your kitchen, if you are fortunate enough to own one and have the luxury of caring.
I realize most people don't cook, from all the open floor plans without a real hood over the stove, but it's where you live. It's like not caring what clothes you wear.
Which some people don't, but that's not a gender thing.

standup

Tele-Meister
i thought this thread was gonna be about a Nick Lowe song.

I do most of the cooking for my wife and I. So I want a kitchen that’s a comfortable space to work in. It does not "reflect who we are as a couple."

We bought an old house 7-8 years ago. The kitchen was straight out of 1925, and not in a good way.

So we worked on the design together, moving boxes around the space to figure out where large things could be placed. We rolled the refrigerator around to every corner of the room.

She’s more organized and logical. It took both of us to figure it out.

It‘s a good kitchen now. And contractors don’t design kitchens, I hope. Our contractor did the installation, working from a plan we got from the kitchen design department at Home Depot of all places. We ordered the cabinets from one of their providers.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I thought this was gonna be about the mashup DJ

Anyway, this is like the client any graphic designer has had, the one who wants something to "really pop" and what they really mean is "I am a giant baby with no idea what the words I'm forming mean."

If you want someone to capture who you are as a couple, you need a photographer. If you want that conveyed in a room you need an interior designer. If you want that in a kitchen and aren't both professional chefs, you probably need a psychiatrist. Some contractors are very skilled at interpreting dimbulb requests like this, but they should charge more for it. I surely would.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter

You didn’t crack the code. A woman explained it to you. The man version is if Mama’s happy then everyone’s happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.