Ginger Baker: RIP

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by L.A. Mike, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

So long Mr. Baker. May you go in peace.

What Ginger has to say...
    "So I made my first kit out of biscuit tins - a toy kit. Then I'd only been playing three months, but I got an audition with a trad band, quite a good one, actually - and told 'em I'd been playing three years. So I showed up with me tin drums - told 'em my regular drums were broken - and they were incredulous. But I got the gig."............"me Mum..lent me fifty quid and I bought a good drum kit. All calf skins in those days....used to down 'em with a teaspoon......" Speaking in 1987

"when I got home [from John Finch's party that he first sat on a kit at], I started looking for a drum kit straight away.....I told my Mum I wanted to buy a kit and she said, 'you haven't finished paying for your bloody bike yet!'
    [which had gone under a taxi in London] She didn't agree at all that this was a good idea; it was something quite insane to her. However, I was pretty determined & managed to get hold of a toy drum kit for three quid (£3). It had only one head on the bass drum, so I cut up my tent to make another one & painted a design on it. The tom tom was very thin, so I got a biscuit tin and I ade it deeper so it sounded a bit better. The tighteners were just on the top head with wing nuts, but I had a kit of sorts." (Hellraiser)

"I got offered a job with the Terry Lightfoot Jazzmen............I got Vic O'Brien to make me up an all-white matching drum kit to replace my previous one, which had been made up of bits & pieces." (Hellraiser)

How Ginger switched to DW...

"....did a gig at the Iridium in New York with djq2o. Ludwig wouldn't provide a kit...DW did...was so impressed with the drums they built me - my present kit."

nojazzhere and GuitarKid like this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

sad day for sure the man was an Icon and a monster on the drums!

3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

GuitarKid likes this.
  4. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

Heck of a drummer ! I personally like the fact he was kind of silly. Authentic. A great artist. Inspiring.

boris bubbanov and GuitarKid like this.
  5. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So sad ....RIP Ginger Baker . He was the same age as my dad is .

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Rip Ginger

Only time I saw him was a billl listed as Buddy Miles vs Ginger Baker. Great show.

7. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

RIP Ginger Baker
    He had a great run! As long as I have the ability to play any recordings he was on Ginger Baker will live on forever

8. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

The man was a warrior.

RIP

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.