Ginger Baker goes for bitter old man award in Rolling Stone Interview

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by McGlamRock, Mar 11, 2014.

1. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

like the man said...

"I shoulda learned to play the guitar, I shoulda learned to play them drums- That ain't workin' that's the way you do it... money for nothin'..."

2. jonsongz

jonsongz Tele-Meister

This was a telephone interview. He was probably approached to do it. He answered all the questions asked. If people don't like his answers or his perspective too bad. The interviewer didn't have the chops anyway..unlike Ginger Baker who certainly had many in his day. The whole stupid conversation says way more about the decline of rock journalism than it does about Ginger Baker.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

He was nicest guy we took a kid from audience up to dit on stsge ginger baker buddy miles show and a couple groupies came down took him toward drums for shot and ginger baker stepped out from behind curtain put him on throne for pics totally cool

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I'll go on record as saying that in the 2005-ish Cream reunion - Baker impressed me the most.

When I finally got over the fact that Clapton used a Strat w/ a battery and re-watched it a couple years ago ?

Same opinion - Baker had it together musically more than the other two.

The Cream...:rolleyes:

5. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

...he was no Charles Shaar Murray.

6. burtwangcaster

burtwangcaster Tele-Holic

***** or not, one of the greatest drummers in rock history. IMHO. Even on the Cream reunion DVD, he was the stand out highlight of the show.

7. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Tele-Meister

Great drummer.
    Stupid shallow interviewer.

I like the way Ginger responded to these dumb questions. I wouldn't say he's an obnoxious *****, he just has no patience at all for people who belabor "the bleedin' obvious."
    And I agree with him, Charlie Watts is the best musician in the Stones.

8. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

JMHO but... Clapton hasn't played a note I've wanted to hear since about 1972.

9. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Baker could've handled it a hell of a lot better, that's all I'm saying..

10. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In the reunion DVD, I loved how Baker worked up his solo in Toad. He started off very clear and methodical, showing us the material that he would be working with. Then he just kept adding more, changing things up, tricking us more and more often, and generally messing with us big-time. As musicians get older, sometimes they look back at their youthful work and think of it as nothing but "sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I remember in my bands in the 60s and 70s, how annoyed we would be if an adult tacked on The to our bands' names. Still, with some names, it made more sense to do it. But, in general, we saw it as a generational thing.

11. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

To be frank with you, Clapton playing those Strats wasn't the worst part here.
    [​IMG]
    Jack Bruce should stay away from any bass that has no frets, since his playing is so OFF KEY!

He had the best sound when he played that Violin shaped Gibson bass.
    [​IMG]

12. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

JMHO, I think Baker is a darn good jazz drummer.

I read an interview a ways back about his work before Cream and though I remember no names, but I think he said himself that jazz is where he came from and that's what he brought to Cream.

As for his attitude in the RS interview, he's speaking his mind. More power to him.

13. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

14. Bromanking

Bromanking TDPRI Member

I liked Cream, but they would have been much better with a good drummer. Elvin Jones liked Keith Moon (as did I ), but about Ginger Baker he said " they should make him an astronaut and lose his ass in space".......I agree.

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Man, what a tool.

In a single interview he ;

• Says he doesn't listen to music at all.
    • Then contradicts himself by naming a few singers he likes.
    • ...which contradicted an earlier point that he's supposedly "a fan of nobody."
    • Throws a not-so-subtle barb at Jack Bruce by saying that some other bassist is the best he's ever played with.
    • Says Keith Moon wasn't a great drummer.
    • Basically says The Rolling Stones isn't a good band.
    • Hasn't practiced at al since the 50s. Yeah, right. Why even have a set of drums set up at home, then?
    • Overinflates Cream's popularity and influence with comments about how only the guys in Cream could be together for such a short period of time and be impactful. Uh, ever heard of The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Ginger?

I can empathize that he's in pain and that surely can't make somebody turn into a positive presence, but he was like this before.

My attitude towards the person doesn't factor into my enjoyment of his music. But I've rarely seen such an obvious compilation of bad qualities being displayed so bluntly in a single interview.

16. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

The interviewer may as well have asked what his favorite color was and got it over with. And, everyone knows that Ginger Baker is a colossal a-hole. I get the feeling that the editor intended to get that kind of reaction out of Baker by sending a lightweight to interview him.

17. Chancerubbage

Chancerubbage Tele-Meister

Ginger Baker has been like this for at least 40 years. No real surprise there.

But what I find remarkable, what did surprise me, I saw him playing something in the past few years (had to have been footage from the Cream reunion I think) and he seemed happy, laughing and smiling, you know, like a bloke with a sense of humor and some joie de vivre.

18. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

The Ginger Baker personality is what happens when you give a guy a girl's name.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

19. joseito

joseito TDPRI Member

Questions are moronic and he's bitter, bitter, bitter...

20. Arcticman

Arcticman Tele-Meister

I didn't realize so many folks here knew Ginger personally.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.