Gimme Some Neck, or Who's Necks Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joealso, Nov 14, 2019.

1. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Preparing for my next Tele-style build. I can handle building the body, but I won't attempt the neck.

Warmoth? Mighty Mite? Allparts? ... What's been your experience with these and other neck builders?

2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

What are you looking for? Pretty standard or pretty customized/unique? What are your preferences? I’ve heard great things about all those companies, but some will specialize in certain things more than others.

Personally, I’d look for a used Fender. Baja specifically if available.

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

-Musikraft just did a very nice neck for me, they have a ton of options many of which don't cost extra. Even their care in packing is superb. My neck came in a cloth protective sleeve.
    -Warmoth are good, but with the same MK options, unless you can find a stock one, will be a lot more $.
    -Fender Mexi are hard to beat if the specs you like.
    -A few months ago I bought a WD neck. I hadn't bought from them in a long time. I happened to find the right specs on Ebay after a ton of searching, so bought it. It's a huge improvement over 10 years ago. I bought it for an oddball guitar and I didn't realize that guitar has a 2.25 wide neck pocket! So that's why I ordered the Musikraft neck!

That WD neck is available reasonable (new, finished, never mounted) now that I have the 2.25 wide replacement. Contact me for specs. Probably $150 shipped.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you have very specific requirements and know exactly what you want as to where the trussrod adjusts, nut width, specific profile and depth, frets, one piece vs slab, etc., I'd suggest Musikraft over the others you mention. The Allparts ones are fine for the price if you are ok with their profiles, nut width, trussrod adjustment at the heel, etc. In my personal experience I've found Warmoth to be ok, but Musikraft better, quality wise.

schmee likes this.
  5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

If ya just wanna neck that works for the tele superbly..the AllParts neck is great... but... with any neck. leveling, crowning and polishing the frets is paramount to have a guitar performing at it's optimum.

rk

nojazzhere and mkdaws32 like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve had a bunch of Warmoth necks.
    Maybe about seven.
    I’ve had a few All Parts necks.
    I’ve had one Mighty Mite neck.
    All were good, but the Warmoths were the best of those competitors.
    I’ve also owned three Philip Kubicki necks.
    I currently own (since 1984) one, which “lives” on my avatar guitar.
    The late PK made the best and most beautiful necks I have ever experienced.
    RIP, sir.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm just looking for a basic Tele-style neck. Nothing special. I had forgotten about Musikraft and I have considered looking for a MIM Fender on ebay.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I've used two Warmoth necks, and I'm very pleased. I'll have to check MusicKraft. In addition to requiring "fat", "wide" (at least 1 11/16") and Fender-licensed headstock, I like a "conversion scale" neck, with the 24 3/4" scale length. Not sure who does that other than Warmoth.
    I'm off to MusicKraft to check.....
    OK, I'm back. To duplicate my Warmoth necks, which were each $202, delivered, MusiKraft wants $285+ delivery. I'll stick with Warmoth.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    joealso likes this.
  10. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I prefer my own. That said I have used both Mighty Mite (3) and Warmoth (4). The MM needed quite a bit of fret work, the Warmoth were usable as delivered but I still did a tiny bit of work on them. In a recent interview in American Lutherie Ken Warmoth said they EXPECT the end users to dress the frets but they know most don't.

Warmoth of course will do all sorts of custom things, one of their necks was unfinished rosewood and had the Gotoh side adjuster in the heel. I liked that.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Warmoth. Quality and worth every penny to me.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Mirrorshades

Mirrorshades TDPRI Member

+1 for Musikraft.
    Their "heavy rolled" fretboard edges have completely spoiled me. Regular fretboards feel like angular Lego bricks in comparison.

13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My favorites are Allparts necks. I like the proper vintage look and truss rod location.
    I like them unfinished so I can roll the edges to just how I like them, tint and finish myself. They are great bare bones necks that turn out as good as you want them too.
    For the price I would also buy one unfinished and refret it myself if they didn't have what I wanted available standard.

14. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I like Warmoth's 10-16 compound radius thing.

I the necks for my current two projects underway with 1.75" nut width and I think I'm going to really like them. A little extra string spacing works for me.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I’ve used three All Parts necks in builds and really liked all of them. They can be a bargain too, as long as you don’t buy them direct from AP. As posted earlier you’ll still have a little work to do on them out of the box, but I’ve been very satisfied with their products. The Warmouth’s I’ve tried were really nice as well.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.