1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gimme Shelter: Is This A Joke?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jwsamuel, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hey dude, she's singing a duet with Mick in front of thousands of people while you're grumpin' around on the Internet in your undies on Christmas Day. Who sounds ridiculous again?

2. StarliteDeVille

StarliteDeVille Tele-Meister

Very good point.

3. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

+1

Here's the thing about armchair musicians with a computer and internet access; they mistakenly think they are commenting on GaGa (or whoever) but the substance of their comments betrays their own level of musicianship (and/or betrays their level of maturity given some of the schoolyard comments here).

If someone who professes to be a musician (or even just a guitar player) listens to that performance and cannot hear the quality of her singing then they are simply revealing themselves to be very limited in their musical awareness and abilities. I see this constantly on this forum and I see it constantly on my own local scene.

I'm certainly not suggesting that every person who has truly got an ear that can actually hear talent is required therefore to like Ms. GaGa but my experience is that those people, while perhaps disliking a performer, will at least have the maturity and strength of character to acknowledge that person's talent at the same time.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This place would collapse without armchair musicians.

5. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Be boring to :lol:

6. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

That's true.:D

Perhaps my snippy comment was misdirected. Many of us enjoy the warm comfort of an armchair's embrace now and again and rightfully so. Whether a person who refers to themself as a musician chooses to sit in an armchair or prefers to recline in a large vinyl covered beanbag on the floor (also perfectly acceptable) is neither here nor there. The mode of reclining was not really the point. The acuity of person's hearing that describes themself as a musician was the theme.

Have a GaGa Christmas everyone.

[​IMG]

7. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

I'm O.K. with GaGa. Just a little curious as to why the her more-than-decent wailing continues AFTER she has pulled the mic away... maybe I don't understand microphones.

8. smallstoner

smallstoner Tele-Meister

Sure did look like lip syncing to me.

9. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

acuity - sharpness...acuteness

10. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe the audio wasn't well synced to the video.

11. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

It's youtube fer chissakes. Lousy sync. It's a great performance. I can't believe anyone would say otherwise. Try closing yer eyes and listen. She's singing her ass off, and making great choices with her voice. That's big league talent in that lil body.

12. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I mean, since when are the Stones known for being understated?

13. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Wow. You sure put me in my place!!! Here I thought that the whole purpose of this site was to share opinions on various musical topics. Ah, well.

I am gonna go for it anyway.
    She and Mick are the perfect match. They looked like stumbling bar drunks.
    In addition, the face on either of them could stop a freight train.
    I think that this particular performance will go down as one that won't be making it to the retirement reel.

This coming from a person who was alive when the Rolling Stones opened up at the Excelsior Amusement Park in Excelsior Mn for a local group called Danny's Reasons. Got a little bit of history with the band.
    "You Can't Always Get What You Want" was written about this experience and a little drug store in Excelsior.

14. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Your point was right on the money. I'm not a fan of Gaga or the Stones as live performers however, both are talented. As for what she was wearing...I can't see what my opinion matters in the least. I did like that video she made in the prison.

15. garytelecastor

Got to disagree. They might have brought something, but what "it" was is up for discussion.
    It has always been kind of a code that the choreography should be appropriate to the music. As far as I was able to see, all they did was twirl around and it seems that Mick Jagger has better control over his appearance than Ms. Gaga.

Has nothing to do with rattling dentures and canes, it has to do with 30+ years professional experience. Call me a fascist but I like it when there is an attempt to make the production palatable.

16. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

I hadn't noticed synch on YouTube was that bad... but yeah, I can see that. That said, she kicked that song's ass.

17. garytelecastor

In total honesty, if she had gone out there, left the stones and the goofy outfit behind, I would have preferred it.
    This is an amazing performance.

18. paranoidsam

paranoidsam Tele-Meister

19. smallstoner

smallstoner Tele-Meister

Yes, I can see how closing my eyes would help me to determine if she's lip syncing. :rolleyes:

Just for context, she's done it before. I don't really blame her; it's pretty much impossible to jump around like a coked-up monkey and sing at the same time.

Seriously, though, most of these "choreographed dance troupe behind me doing everything I do" singers at least have their record playing, including their vocals, which they sing over, but covers for them when they're really tired out, vomiting (quite a trick there if she's not lip syncing) or having a metal pole dropped on their heads.

The question isn't whether she's a good singer--I'll stipulate that she is. The question is whether she's actually singing.

20. Deacon Blue

Deacon Blue Tele-Meister

There may be a question as to whether she's actually singing, but there is no question that the sound and video are out of sync.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.