1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gimme Shelter: Is This A Joke?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jwsamuel, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

One can only wonder what would have happened if Yoko Ono could have come prancing on stage with an outfit like that on, with those shoes she would have over towered, and over powered the mighty Beatles and they would have been known ever after as the Yoko Onos. John, Paul, George, and Ringo could have all done amplified four part harmony arm farts during the finale to complete the effect of her dancing.

2. blues dues

blues dues Tele-Meister

Ok, former musician currently employed as full blown spectacle.

3. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

From 2011:

I get the impression that some people think that being a good performer, or a "spectacle," is super easy. You just have to get up there in front of a ton of people and hold their attention while singing and dancing your a** off, right? Well guys, it ain't that easy. If you don't like her style, that's one thing, but it cannot be denied that she is a very good singer, an at least competent pianist, a songwriter with a unique voice, and an engaging performer.

All that said, she's not really my cup of tea. But you know what? As I get older, I am discovering that I like more and more kinds of tea.

Can we start talking about what gauge stings James Burton preferred again yet?

From a Newsweek review of the Beatles, 1964:

"Musically, they are a near disaster; guitars slamming out a merciless beat that does away with secondary rhythms, harmony and melody. Their lyrics (punctuated by nutty shouts of "yeah, yeah, yeah!") are a catastrophe, a preposterous farrago of Valentine-card romantic sentiments."

Have I had too much coffee this morning? Maybe.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Can we start talking about what gauge stings James Burton preferred again yet?

Would it be more interesting if James had a pair of them shoes? Now his ex boss (Big E) woulda liked those shoes a LOT! Probably the suit too.

5. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Well said - I can't help but think that most of the people who slag off GaGa are the reincarnations of the folks in the 50s who thought rock and roll was "jungle music" and a sign that the world was going to hell in a handcart.

If its too brash - you're too old.

6. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Exactly.

Bang those canes and rattle your dentures.

7. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

How she get into that stage outfit? WD-40?

8. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'. There's more to life than news, weather and sports.

9. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Very nice. I knew she studied at NYU, which has a seriously tough music program(s), but, really, you can hear in the Gimme Shelter video that she knows music and knows it deeply. She's been on her path as a singer and songwriter since age 13. I'm surprised that in a forum of this level, there are people who can't hear the depth of the musicality in her voice. I hear tons of videos and audio recordings by people in this forum whose pitch is just not anchored at all. It floats around the notes, but sometimes rarely lands squarely on one. She's in complete control of her pitch, not to mention her projection via rhythm and dynamics. She's every bit the musician as Merry Clayton, who sang the song originally with Mick. If someone is going to be criticized for their singing, surely a key factor would be pitch. She's got zero probs there.

She's going to be around for a very long time, judging from her background and personal trajectory. Here's someone who has done it for real, rather than being on American Idol or some such tv show, and we're the kind of people who should most appreciate that.

10. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Go Larry. Well said brother!

11. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Is that the new Stones single???

12. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think Larry's right. She nailed it. Much as I'm not one to want to listen to her music, I have actually liked some of what I've heard. She's consistently over the top, she's an entertainer and a performance artist. She's top notch at what she chooses to do. As I watched for the second time it became clear her flailing was an homage to/parody of Jagger's own writhing.

She's not my cup of tea, but that doesn't prevent me from admitting she's got boatloads more talent than 99% of the folks out there. Heck, at least it wasn't Nicki Minaj that the Stones pulled up.... yeeesh.

13. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, now that's funny! :lol:

14. teleman65

teleman65 Tele-Holic

I found Lady Gaga to be a distraction in that performance but I have to give her credit. Her singing was not a problem and here we are talking about her and not the Stones. Bazinga!!!

15. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

I thought she tried too hard and missed the target...she had no connection to the lyrics, her voice was weak unless the mics were in Mick's favour. As for the outfit...look at me, look at me.

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Her mic may have been a bit lower in the mix, but her voice was in no way weak.

17. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

Personally I don't care however I like to laugh and i di a good belly laugh ahh that was nice and then I read ALAMO's comment and got a good belly laugh out of that .. thanks guys...merry Christmas

18. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I think she's big in all the right places. and thanks to the poster who put up the Florence Welch bit, Florence and the Machine are kick a$$! That is some good music, as well.

19. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

20. Paleus

Paleus Tele-Meister

I'm sure you would have felt the same way about Mick Jagger in the Stones' prime.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.