Gigs starting up

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockinvet, May 20, 2020.

1. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

Our beach gig is starting up soon. I’m a bit apprehensive but prepared. We’ve been rehearsing responsibly as a trio. Gonna be weird. Anyone else got gigs starting back up in the near future?

ndcaster and telestratosonic like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep. Not real happy about it

Rockinvet and nojazzhere like this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I know what you mean. As long as people keep taking precautions and continue to keep a respectable distance, things should be OK.

However, even during the lock down, most / half the people in my area were not wearing masks, were not keeping a distance, were still congregating and chatting with friends in small clusters. You just cannot account for people.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I just got home from Walmart.....I'd "guesstimate" around half the shoppers there were NOT wearing masks. Young, old, fat, fat, it didn't matter.....
    I'm afraid our SECOND biggest threat now is arrogance and over-confidence. PLEASE!!!!!,,,,stay smart people!!!!!!

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

No spoilers, but...1918. o_O

stepvan, 6String69, Rockinvet and 2 others like this.
  6. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

At least people back then were willing to try to do the right thing, and sacrifice for the betterment of everyone.

Today? Nope. "Scuse me, but I just *have* to get that shot and post it!"

Wally, Rockinvet, blowtorch and 2 others like this.
  7. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm seeing a lot of venues around Sacramento advertising upcoming events with live music. Some are this weekend while others are scheduled around June and July.
    I'm personally not comfortable with this. I'm in two bands and neither are even rehearsing yet although one is chomping at the bit to get together. Again, I'm in no hurry.

nojazzhere, Rockinvet and blowtorch like this.
  8. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Our first gig as a band since this whole thing started: This Saturday night we're playing a pizza place that we've been playing at for years and years. Week after that we've got a Friday night gig at a restaurant/bar we've been regulars at, and the next morning we're doing a car show.

Rockinvet likes this.
  9. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

We've all heard of "The Greatest Generation." Well this will be known as The Worst Generation.

Whining and crying like little babies because they are asked to wear a mask to protect their fellow Americans. I just saw where someone SHOT a restaurant employee because they were asked to wear a face mask. What is wrong with these people?

If this is a hoax, you've been slightly inconvenienced, if it's real, you've probably saved lives.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  10. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

We have steadily seen everything we had for spring roll off the schedule in front of us as timetables have been extended.
    We still have things booked that we haven’t had to cancel and we have folks who’d like to reschedule, but I can’t honestly say when we will play in public again.
    Tough call all the way around.

nojazzhere, Rockinvet and DavidP like this.
  11. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

Classy post...

39martind18 and stepvan like this.
  12. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Still crickets here as far as live performances go. The local online music calendar that would normally have 120 or so gigs posted on a busy Saturday night still only has like a handful of streaming gigs posted on any given night.

I'm back to doing lessons face-to-face at least. Zoom lessons were a huge bummer.

Good luck with the gigs and stay safe!

Rockinvet likes this.
  13. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

We're into "Phase 2" here... Local rehearsal studio opened yesterday with a detailed "you know what" policy/protocol; everyone, including singers, wears a mask when in the studio. I'm not yet ready to be in a room for 2-3 hrs with people singing throughout, so it makes sense to me. Ever tried singing through one? I think it will be challenging!

Rockinvet likes this.
  14. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

Thanks, neither am I. The folks I work with aren’t worried. I’ve hinted a few times to no avail but I committed to the gigs already. I’m just hoping the city does not go through with this just yet. We’re gonna be on the sidewalk with hundreds of people walking by.

15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I Say this with all due respect to those who have lost loved ones, friends and acquaintances, despite the tens of thousands that have fallen victims to this plague some of us , US ALL, still fail to take the operating instructs as something that does not apply to ME, those instructions are for other people, and the death count continues to grow.
    Bless us all.
    I have no business going anywhere and socializing, participating in any social or business that is not absolutely necessary, doing other wise I am putting my life at risk and endangering the lives of others.
    There is nothing to discuss about the factuality of social distancing and continuing to shelter in place.
    I suspect that my response might be censored.
    rat left.jpg gatot right.jpg images (3).jpg

16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got one coming up with a Beatles project I work with (sorry, Blowtorch ;)), but with a twist.

It's at an assisted living facility, but instead of playing indoors and all the hazards that would entail, we'll be setting up in the courtyard of the facility and the residents will be able to watch us through the windows.

Band will set up in a socially distanced manner and use our own personal mics and cables. I'm a little nervous about it, but if done right it could be pretty cool. And hopefully the residents will enjoy it - it must be hard to be in there and prohibited from having visitors of any kind.

- D

17. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

Local venue just put out an announcement that they will be booking shows soon but with limited capacity. I guess that means that they will only let X amount of people in at one time. The place really isn't very big. If they make people stand 6 feet apart. I can only imagine bands will lug their equipment to the gig, have the sound guy mic them up, only to play to 10 people.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m doing my second gig of this type on Friday (weather permitting).
    The trio will play behind a big senior living center.
    We’ll be masked, and nowhere near the residents.
    They can watch/listen to us on their balconies.
    I’m looking forward to it!

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  19. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

It will be a long long time, if ever that I will feel comfortable playing in a public space and I may never do it again. I'm in the vulnerable age group on top of having health factors that should not be ignored.

A bandmate of mine has had a few small block "get togethers" where the neighbors bring out their lawn chairs, sit appropriate distances apart and just hang out in the evening. We have thrown around the idea of maybe setting up in his driveway and play as a duo. His neighbors know that we have a band and have asked him for some light entertainment. I'm kind of on the fence about whether it would be safe to do so or not, but with appropriate distancing, no handshaking or up close contact, it would probably be okay. We're going to give it a few days and think about it. Maybe it's just too soon, maybe not with intelligent precautions.

nojazzhere and Rockinvet like this.
  20. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

I'm not expecting to be able to play a show for the rest of 2020. Everything in the summer has already been cancelled. Venues aren't even allowed to reopen yet as gatherings are still not allowed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.