Gigs Pro bono?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sotakoira Musti, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

Well, next friday we’ll do a gig for a very large public corporation. No way I’ll do a charity for them. And we’ll even pay taxes for the fee. Not much of a hour salary. But to have face time in a bar or just to amuse some good people, then pro bono all the way.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Sotakoira Musti

Well, I don’t play for money anyways. I’d have to play about 200 years just to compensate my excpences :lol: 4-6 beers and a van rental, and I’m good. That 50 yo lady got a freebie, and I’m perfectly cool with that. Actually, thought about it myself in the night while playing.

3. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

We do one or two benefits a year. They are for a good cause, and we usually get to work with a pro sound company.

4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Nothing against it in general, but in practice it can be difficult for band members to agree on which cause is worthy of their individual free time/effort. And if you do agree to play the cancer benefit for one member’s friend, is everyone obligated to then play the fundraiser for your charity of interest when asked, etc.

5. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

If she is poor & a single mother, what business does she have hiring a band to play for her birthday party? And I agree with the poster who said he shoulda cleared it with the band first. Someone tries that with me, they're gonna pay out of their own pocket.
    I am too old & too grouchy to play for free, or for the "door". Equipment is heavy; gas,strings & batteries cost money. My steel guitar alone is about 85lbs.
    If I'm gonna play, they're gonna pay. ESPECIALLY when a clubowner's cash register is ringing. Zero exceptions.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Deeve likes this.
  6. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

I probably play 3-4 benefits a year. Don't
    mind helping out with a cause I can support. Usually the organizers are working a lot harder than me! The ones I've done folks really appreciate it, and help carry equipment and generally make sure we're well taken care of:)

7. Sotakoira Musti

Me thinks if it were for cancer, mental illnesses, poverty or eqv, I'd go and do all along. If it were for some rich corporate outing etc, no way. Bar gigs, well some (or more) beer and money for our expences, it'll do fine as a hobby.

8. Sotakoira Musti

It turned out kinda sad. I didn't have a clue about the subject we're playing to. And then to see her sad offerings: a 24-pack of beer, handmade buns and a cake. Some poor soup also. I agree with you that the bandmate who hooked this up should have checked the facts a bit more closely. There is a negotiation about some fuel money. But I really don't care if I get 0€, 10€ or 50€. Man has to pay for his hobbies, right?

Controller likes this.
  9. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

To quote Jimmy Carl Black:

Listen, man, I just wanna know two things. Is there any beer in this fake nightclub, and when do we get paid?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.