Gigrig Wetter Box solved delay pedal conundrum

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Big Twang Theory, May 10, 2021.

1. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So I may have FINALLY solved my problems with delay pedals. I'm pretty much a delay pedal fiend. Love em! But I've always had problems getting the right mix for different delay types. I use either a slapback delay or quarter note delay as always on, but very subtle with the mix. Just enough to give my sound a little bit of depth. I'm playing this way 85-95% of the time. But here and there we'll go into an atmospheric section and I'll use a delay that's a little more up front, either a dotted eighth with 3 or 4 repeats or a modulated tape delay with lots of repeats, but higher mix settings. But I've always struggled finding a way to integrate these in a way I liked. Tried lots of different ways, using expression pedals to control the mix, but couldn't get it just quite right. Have a band practice this weekend, that'll be the real test, but I think this will work. Here is the setup:

4 different delays (I know, but I said I was a delay fiend.)
    Boss DM-2 Waza (slapback)
    MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe (quarter note, 3 or 4 repeats, mix at about 9 o'clock)
    One of these two is the always on, they're in Loop A of the Wetter Box.
    Boss DD5 (dotted eighth, 4ish repeats)
    Strymon El Capistan (quarter note, lots of repeats with "wow and flutter" modulation about 11 o'clock)
    These are in the B Loop, and I'll use one at a time. Then I set the WB to add B to A as I go heel to toe on the expression pedal (as opposed to switching completely from one to the other.)
    The Carbon Copy, dd5 and El Capistan are all connected to a DS engineering Drill Sargeant, so when I tap on the El Cap, the tempo goes to all three.

Still early with this setup, but I'm loving the results so far!

dlew919 likes this.
  2. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I recently picked up an EHX Tri Parallel Mixer (TPM) to use similarly to how you are using the Wetter Box. While my original purpose was more for being able to keep modulation and wah separate from the dry signal (acoustic guitar, primarily) I've been surprised that somehow there seems to be a difference between using the Mix knob on a reverb or delay versus putting the reverb/delay on full wet and using the TPM to set the dry/wet levels. One thing is that I can send a slightly boosted signal to the reverb/delay then use the return level to even things out. I think that helps to get "more" out of the reverb/delay without drowning out the dry. I haven't yet tried different delays in different loops on the TPM. Been meaning to get around to that.

I do wish the TPM had an expression pedal input for at least one of the three loops. Your description of using that on the Wetter Box makes me jealous.

[​IMG]

3. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yeah, it's definitely different than just adjusting the mix knob on the effect. I thought about the TPM, looked like a good unit, but the ability for expression pedal was the tie breaker. And you don't even always need a separate expression pedal for the WB. The knob is one of those really large ones you can turn with your foot, but I didn't have room on my board. So it went underneath with the power supply. That and the fact you can either blend A and B totally separately or one on top of the other.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.