Gigging your CS guitar

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by aquaboi924, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Long_Ghost

Long_Ghost Tele-Meister

I have a hard time understanding the reasoning behind those that are saving their guitars for the next guy. I own two CS guitars, a strat. and a tele., and gig them both regularly, but by the same token, I try very hard to take care of my instruments. Maybe the next guy will appreciate that.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I did at one time but no longer now that I have another set up just like my Nocaster.

3. Icheme

Icheme TDPRI Member

I went on tour with 2 guitars, my tele CS relic 52 and a strat . I borrowed the strat just in case I needed a spare in case I broke a string.

I tried to play the strat, I only did for soundchecks...
    I only used my tele

4. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

This is a pic from a few years back, me playing a CS 65 relic, Galuszka MB 50's Tele on the Stand ... and incidentally the amp is a Matchless Lightning ... so any tone fail that night would definitely be the wrong underpants!

So yes guitars are for playing, but this was an upmarket executive gig, so little risk of theft!

[​IMG]

5. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Tele-Meister

I'm not gigging much these days, but my CS Strat goes to jams etc. It's an NOS guitar and I'll be sad when it starts to get beat up, but I bought it to play.

6. aquaboi924

aquaboi924 Tele-Meister

Pics please!!

7. aquaboi924

aquaboi924 Tele-Meister

Different strokes for different folks. I play mine whenever, whatever.

8. aquaboi924

aquaboi924 Tele-Meister

I know what you mean about NOS guitars...my CS are all relics now so I don't mind them getting dings and stuff.

9. Guy Lorshbaugh

Guy Lorshbaugh TDPRI Member

I've never owned a CS guitar, but I've had a handful of new-in-box guitars, or guitars I found flawless. Or, for that matter, used guitars in which I had yet to make a dent.

My first dings have occurred on stage, in the living room, on the workbench, you get the idea. They were devastating at the time. But I was looking at a Taylor I've had since 2004 the other day, comparing it to a new instrument I was lucky enough to end up with about six weeks ago. It's beat to hell. Did I notice every "flaw" along the years, as I bumped against the arm of my chair, set it somewhere for just-a-second, or knicked against someone's instrument in a cramped rehearsal space? Definitely not. Do I regret them, looking at it twelve years down the line? Not for a second. I earned this guitar. And its scratches. It's beautiful to see the work I've done on it. Reminds me of what I've done while I've had it.

Aren't dings and scrapes some of the reasons old guitars look so cool?

10. aquaboi924

aquaboi924 Tele-Meister

Indeed Guy. The first knicks were always the hardest to swallow, no matter how small it is. It gets easier after that, and the next...etc.

11. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I know a guy who gigs regularly with a '58 335 and a '59 Strat. He sold all his custom shop stuff and bought the real things and now he plays them all the time. He calls them his "401k guitars."

I had a similar discussion on the Martin forum; I was concerned about taking my "nice" Taylor (it's 314 but it's the nicest guitar I have) to outdoor pool party gigs. Most everyone there said guitars are meant to be played, so play them wherever you play them. That being said, I still have a beater (Martin X-series) that I use for beach weddings. I don't want to get sand in my Taylor.:cool:

12. howlback

howlback Tele-Meister

Ever since I got mine, I've used my CS '52 on every gig but I keep an eye on my s*** and if I'm at a club where they let everyone enter/exit the green room I lock it back up immediately.

I hate to be this way but people should stay the hell out of there, the only thing worse than worrying about your gear being nicked is finding out someone drank all of the free beers in there.

That being said, I'm currently investing the drummer for the latter charge.

13. 51Blackguard

51Blackguard TDPRI Member

I have only Custom Shop Fenders and Gibsons. I gig 12-15 times per year, plus open mics/jams etc. I bought the guitars to play, not sit in a glass case or in their cases, under the bed. They have a few nicks/dings/battle scars and I anticipate more with time.
    As for playing in a place where I'd need to worry about the guitar's safety or theft, I won't even bother going there. No gig is worth a stolen guitar or worse, it being taken by force.....common sense guys....

14. viper007

viper007 Tele-Meister

I still do.

[​IMG]

aquaboi924 likes this.
  15. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I'm in the "if you have one, there's a reason why you got one" camp. I don't own any CS instruments, but if I did, I'd play them. The way my budget works, my $300-$800 guitars are every bit as precious to me as someone with a $3000p-$8000 (or whatever they cost) instrument might be to them.

16. aquaboi924

aquaboi924 Tele-Meister

Cool pics! Cheers.

viper007 likes this.
  17. Sneddo

Sneddo Tele-Meister

I'll be proudly gigging my Nocaster on Saturday night. Sweaty, crowded pub gig. Can't wait :)

51Blackguard likes this.
  18. aquaboi924

aquaboi924 Tele-Meister

Pics or it didn't happen!

19. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

It didn't! It's on Saturday.

aquaboi924 and Grabsplatter like this.
  20. Sneddo

Sneddo Tele-Meister

Someone might take a pic tonight.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.