Gigging with really cheap guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bluescaster72, Sep 7, 2013.

1. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Who here does it ? Squier bullets , first acts, whatever. Stock guitars few if any mods other then a setup. And why ? cost? Playability ? I think in later years most of my guitars will be custom made by me do to the fact I need a thick neck . I didn't realize this till recently . And the funny thing is a lot of the cheaper guitars have the baseball size necks that I need LOL

2. Stuart_tate41

Stuart_tate41 Tele-Meister

The cheapest I use is mexican fender. I would go back to squires and recently tried out a brand called 'vintage' that are cheap but excellent players.

3. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

I have expensive guitars and cheap ones. I like to mix them up

4. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

I love my Squier J5 and it's seen plenty of gig action.

5. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

I've gigged numerous times with an Electra LP copy and a Peavey Generation EXP Tele copy. No problems. I actually prefer lower priced guitars gigging becuase I don't have to worry so much about them.

6. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

My number one at the moment is the MIK Squier Strat I got when I was a kid. It says Fender on the headstock, but it's a Squier. I have much more valuable guitars, but that Strat and I have been through so much that it really is like an old friend. That guitar taught me to play, and nothing else feels as comfortable. I played my first gig with it twenty years ago, and I finished my last gig with it about an hour ago.

7. Whiskey_Joe

Whiskey_Joe Tele-Meister

I have gigged an Aria STG series. I have also gigged various lotus(es?) From such experiences i am learning that tone is is the fingers or underpants, depending on whom you speak with. I want a a $3500 PRS, but it doesn't make any noises worth the price difference. I have many cheap guitars and love them all.

8. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

The audience can't tell the difference...

9. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Epiphone SG400 faded that I got used with no fretwear. Light weight 6.4 lbs, throw it in the car for club jams rather than my 11 lb Les Paul.

Set-up with .11 for Blues and sounds good through most amps --- but I use the Les Paul when it's my night on stage with the band.

10. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

I've gigged with lots of cheap stuff over the years-some of which is not so cheap now ;}.
    25 years ago, my rude blues and rockabilly rig was a Harmony H-74 thru a solid state Echoplex into a Silvertone TwinTwelve. My guitar playing friends would give me crap for not using my '78 Strat and my Mesa Boogie. Now I gig with the same setup and people flip out over my cool vintage gear. I have gigged quite a bit in recent years with a bolt neck P90 Epi LP Jr., Korean Dano U-2, a $99 Squire Tele I turned into an Esquire, cheapo parts Tele, Agile Les Pauls, Chinese AC15CC,Epi Firebird VII, Fender Blues Junior/Carvin combo, Chinese Wechter acoustic, Hondo II 335 copy, Line6 AxSys 212, Dano mini-pedals--none of which cost more than $300. I added at least one decent pickup to all the guitars, most of which I had in my parts cabinet, some GFS tuning machines where needed, and better used (scrounged) speakers. Learn to do your own setups and how to cut a nut and file a fret........it's fun to mess around with cheap stuff and get some sounds not everyone gets.

11. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

My modified Squier Affinity has seen MUCH gig action as a working professional. Often sits in a stand beside far more expensive guitars plugged into my Mesa Boogie Mark IV Custom.

It is currently "curing" in the garage on the roof in it's new Nitro Daphne Blue finish - them it will be reassembled and gigged again.

12. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I remeber reading a Guitarworld article about the Foo Fighters when they released "The color and the shape" where the reviewer attended a Foo Fighters' rehearsal and describing what was going on.

It had this scene involving Pat Smear.

At the right of the drumriser Pat Smear is contemplating what to use for this rehearsal. Should he go with his Japanese made, el-cheapo SG copy or should he go for his vintage Gretsch white Falcon? Decisions, decisions, only a mind as unconventional as Smear's would hold those instruments in equal esteem.

I remember seeing an early Foo Fighters concert on MTV and going "Pat is playing those seventies Japanese Gibson copies, how cool is that?"

He said that those copies have a sound of their own and he's right.

13. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

The Squier 51 worked fine for Nick Curran.

14. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

First of all, I don't gig. But I do have a couple of foreign born Fenders, one I bought for 65 bucks. I have inexpensive guitars that I will put up against many much more expensive rigs.
    If they play, I'm in.

15. Quill

Quill TDPRI Member

Foreign Fenders and Gibson copies?
    And you claim to gig them with no shame?

How can you guys be so irresponsible?

Think of the tone!

Think of the children!

Attached Files:

16. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Squier Bullet Strat with cavities and pickguard shielded otherwise stock standard. Why? because it is very playable, sounds great and I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about it getting damaged. Ditto for an Epi LP Special 2.

17. GoodCleanFun

GoodCleanFun Tele-Meister

I used to gig my Epiphone LP 100 all the time. It's a 1994 Korean thing, beat to hell and back but it rocks so hard. It has mucho mojo:

[​IMG]

18. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

ah ....the genius

"Gigging with really cheap guitars"

great name for a band! (kinda like the bare naked ladies)

19. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

I gig my squier CV fairly often. While not the cheapest squier, its still a very cheap guitar. It's currently out of rotation for fret work, though.

My gigging bass is a $250 parts build that is beat to crap (P bass body with jazz neck) . No name on the headstock, so no snobs can comment on the brand or listen with their eyes. People always think it was way more expensive than $250 when they hear or play it.

EDIT:

Old pic of the bass (way more beat up and a pearloid PG now) :

[​IMG]

My modded CV:

[​IMG]

20. Psyclone

Psyclone Tele-Meister

I'm currently eyeballing my $40.00 garage sale Peavey Predator with the intent of using it at an outdoor gig tomorrow afternoon.

Nobody will care and it will sound fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.