1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gigging with a music stand.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RevMike, Apr 5, 2012.

1. kman900

kman900 Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes you need 'em but they absolutely suck!

Actually we're trying to setup a pair of cheap android-tablets to act as "teleprompters" . . In case we're successful with this i'll give it it's own thread.

:cool:

2. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Well, this pic did it for me. If it's cool for Dwight, it's cool for me, cause they don't come much cooler than Dwight Yoakum.

[​IMG]

3. OlRedNeckHippy

But see, I keep mine down low so it doesn't get in the way of the pics. The stand on the right is blocking your view of a honest-to-goodness 67 Telecaster. Bummer!

Attached Files:

4. guitar dan

guitar dan Tele-Afflicted

Ipads have made it so easy. I don't think anyone in the audience knows or cares unless you're standing there like a statue behind it all night. I use my Ipad for a few charts or lyrics on my gigs. Plus, we are starting to use Ipads to adjust our own monitor mixes on digital boards.

When I do fill in work, I definitely have to have it. I learned 28 new tunes for a gig last week. I can chart them and play them. But I can't memorize that many new tunes all at once, especially for a fill in gig.

Before the Ipad, when I did have to have music stand, I would set it off to the side - either behind the mains or tucked in with the drum kit.

5. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I wanted to respond while it's still fresh o my mind. My experience with using lyric sheets or charts is that they can become a crutch. I had never used any cheat sheets before I joined my current band. When I started with them everyone used them (except the drummer) and since I had not played with a band in 15 years, I used them as well. What I found is that I spent a lot of time looking for the right sheet (no matter how organized I thought I was, it didn't stay that way and the songlist grew and morphed,) and if I didn't have that sheet in front of me, I panicked and those same songs that I've been singing in my car and with various bands for 30 years were forgotten. So I did away with the cheat sheets and now all is good. Besides that fact that I think it looks tacky on stage (unless it's an orchestra for some reason [just my opinion]), I think you can become overly dependent on them. But that's just me.

6. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

It's really a non issue for everybody but guitarists who don't like em. Lots big national acts use monitors.....no different than a stand.

7. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

Ah but, a teleprompter is at least angled and down like a monitor wedge. Hidden so to say. A music stand sits upwards and looks unrehearsed(notice I did not say unprofessional)and blocks audience view.

8. Johnnyb4894

Johnnyb4894 Tele-Meister

They may clips for Ipads that attach to Your mike stand.Why don't You try that.They are illuminated,descrete,and You can even get a foot switch so it will scroll down the page.
    J.B.

9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with Norton72. I have had cheat sheets ranging from index cards with chord charts and the hooks tabbed out to sheets on a stand. Once I depend on them they are hard to get rid of. In my latest band I am holding myself to no cheat sheets and I find that I am memorizing songs faster. I realized this playing some shows with a long time stage and studio pro, and after one take or even just a listen he always had it locked in. Like waiters that memorize your orders, it can be done if you practice. But using sheets prevents you from getting that practice.

I agree that sometimes there isn't a choice such as a stand-in gig for obscure, complicated originals, and there are ways to minimize the intrusiveness of the crutch, both visually and auditorally. Maybe that's why they call it a "stand in" gig- you gotta bring your stand.

10. ce24

If you're makin good music nobody cares in the audience...saw Elvis Costello had a massive book on a stand....makin good music...:cool:

tweeet likes this.
  11. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

Ha! I never thought of that. In my younger days I was a waiter and I never wrote down orders until I got back to the kitchen. It impresses the customers and you get better tips.

12. OlRedNeckHippy

+1

My gig book is customized for every gig. It has mostly songs that I've been doing Less than 1 year. After about a year I don't need the book any more.
    Last gig, 3 12 song sets, had about 16 tunes in the book. Cause we're doing Current Country. These tunes are less than 6 month old.
    With a job, and a family, and a dog and a house and a..... I don't practice as much as I, should. There. I said it.

It takes months for a song to permanently imbed itself in my brain, so that I do not need the paper any more. We're just a bunch of guys in a basement, makin music. We aint pros, nor do we aspire to be. We're hobiests. We spend more money doing it than we get paid for doing it.

So yea, I use a music stand.

"Truckin'" Grateful Dead. Classic.
    I know every word. Every verse. Every neuance, I saw 20 + shows, so....
    I can Not spit the words out in the correct order without a cheet sheet. It is not a story that has a plot line, a beginning and a end, it's just a bunch of randomly arranged statements.

"Hot Rod Lincoln" Cody
    No Paper. I'll spit every word ou without a hitch. I been singing that song for 20 + years too, just like Truckin, but It's a story. A plot line. It's A Lot of words. No problem.

My point, certain songs I will always need the paper. Oh well.
    Keep your music stands low so they don't screw your photos. Large print helps too....:oops:

13. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think it depends on the band/genre etc.

Big band playing Swing Era standards? Sure.

A rock band playing alternative, dance rock, classic rock, and/or punk etc? NFW-- beyond lame.

14. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

We all use them in my band, and I see nothing wrong with it at all. I'm a drummer who plays guitar as a second instrument, and I need help on certain songs when it comes to chords. I find it hard to remember every song, so I need help. At my age, I can't remember every chord to the hundred or so songs we have on the master list.

If some of you think it's unprofessional, well so be it. I couldn't give a rat's rear end, in all honesty. Nobody has ever come up to me, or anybody in my band and criticized us for using stands.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  15. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Afflicted

Music stands on stage sure don't look too professional, but some singers just have a hard time memorizing all the songs. I'd vote no to the stands, but sometimes it's just necessary, especially if the singers don't gig very often. Now the musicians have no reason to use a stand, as they should have their parts memorized. Just my opinion!

16. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

i don't think it's a big deal. if you play and sound good, then it shouldn't matter. why should classical musicians get a pass, but not anyone else? on PiL's fairly recent tour, John Lydon had a stand with some lyrics on it for new tunes that he hadn't had a chance to memorize yet. nobody seemed to care. and not that i enjoy opera, but i've seen at least few on PBS where there are those clear teleprompter screens on each side of the stage that reflect a monitor on the floor.

a lot of big name musicians have teleprompters these days, so i don't really see what the problem is as long as it's not negatively affecting the overall performance. i mean, if you're standing there and staring at the lyrics the whole time, that would be kinda hacky...but if you've got to glance over occasionally and don't make a big deal about it, i think it's perfectly acceptable.

17. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

If I "gig" at church, then yes, I don't hesitate in using a music stand. Gigging at a club? Nope, I don't use a music stand.

18. ce24

So you think Dwight Yoakum, elvis Costello Tom Petty, Norah Jones and many other national acts are beyond lame?

19. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The way I look at it I'm really just a hobbyist, not a chart-toppin' country western troubador. I've got a life that takes up lots of time, and I don't always get time to practice enough and I'd rather make sure that of the 100 or so songs my band does, that the 30 or so we do rarely, I play correctly for the folks.... I'm sure they'd rather see a music stand off to the side out of the way than hear me dork up their favorite song.

20. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

Words fail me

I can remember virtually every note of any song I have played in the last 45 years, but I like to have a lyric sheet when I'm doing lead vocals. For some reason, I just don't commit the words to memory. I use a small stand that clamps to my mic stand. It's relatively unobtrusive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.