1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gigging with a music stand.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RevMike, Apr 5, 2012.

1. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Well, that's a whole other discussion. Some gutys are just singing songs and some guys are trying to take things to another level of communication. If you aren't trying to become the characters in the songs, what's the point?

Springsteen didn't use a TelePrompTer for the first 40 years of his career, it should be noted.

2. Five Fingers

Five Fingers Tele-Afflicted

I never liked using a music stand. It's better to learn your stuff, and if you sing, your lyrics. It's pure laziness as far as I am concerned. Also, it looks bad on stage. Some folks get so used to it, it looks as if they just go through the motions without any real performance.

3. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Then don't use one.

4. Five Fingers

Five Fingers Tele-Afflicted

I don't. That was precisely my point.

5. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

I get what you're saying if you are singing your own songs, I want to believe the person singing whether it's Bruce, Jackson Browne, Paul Simon, or some young singer I never heard before.

But if your singing cover songs in a bar band? I'd say you are taking things a bit too seriously if you think you're taking things to another level by trying to become the characters in the songs.

And Bruce started with his on the reunion tour in '99, it's hardly new.
    But I'm glad he uses one because it allows him to constantly pull out different songs and rarities at every show, making each one unique.

6. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

If you take request and sight read stuff you've never played before, then yes, it is perfectly fine...

I wished, but a friend who plays in several bands does a jazz duo gig and he and his bass player will play any request as long as they have the sheet music for it. It is amazing to hear them, I'm not a jazz fan but their talent level is awesome.

7. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm with ya; 12 years strong, crowds of up to 20,000, played for governors, senators and the POTUS three times. Never ONCE has anyone said anything about our horn section or singers and their music stands.

Just my $.02; YMMV.

8. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Gig five or six new songs a week - bars, clubs, weddings, parties etc

"Professional" is delivering that for which one is paid - demands on the memory might be stretched using your hard criteria.

One practice, 5 new songs, 3 gigs, next practice, 2 or 3 more gigs - sorry, I'll take the discrete songbook on the low stand.

Your experience must differ.

9. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I guess the best thing one could say about the polemic in this thread is that the subject is different from the hardy annuals such as tube/solid state or CV vs Fender.

I never cease to be amazed by the depth of sincerity and seriousness given to such a mundane issue. For goodness sake, if one wishes to use a music stand go ahead and use it and never mind what others have to say.

10. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

... ...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  11. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

How you dismiss my life in a stroke of your keyboard............. :cry:

12. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Three cheers for Boblets! :D

And now stand by and watch this thread continue for another 130 posts...

-Gnobuddy

13. teleconvertMij

teleconvertMij Tele-Meister

I couldn't care less :)
    However, somebody mentioned earlier the gigbook app for ipad. That does sound interesting!
    Question from non-nerd: where do you get the pdf sheets from? Is there a (free) online source?
    :-D

14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've only used them for sub/fill-in GB gigs where I hadn't rehearsed
    with the band and wasn't familiar with their material. That said, usually
    at a function-type gig like this, it's considered okay, but not in a club.

15. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

I just watched my "Jeff Beck Rock n Roll Party" BluRay one more time. Top notch musicians, top notch performances. And a music stand, out in front, by Imelda May's microphone.

Oddly enough, nobody in the audience seemed to want their money back even though there was this evil music stand right out in the open. :D

-Gnobuddy

tweeet likes this.
  16. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Personally, if I see a music stand it sorta makes an implication to me about what kind of musician I'm seeing.

"Hey, this guy can probably read music!"

:p:D

17. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Exactly. If the music rocks, the audience couldn't care less.

Well played!

(unless it's a singer in a bar band, then I know he reading lyrics he printed off after a google search....)

18. cbtd

cbtd Tele-Meister

I find it much better to put your beer on the music stand than on your amp. They tend to rattle off the amps. If you put them on the floor they get kicked. So I am all for music stands, you can even throw a few stray picks, a slide, maybe a set list. Heck I even suppose you could put music on them.

19. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Tele-Afflicted

A good part of my playing comes from backing up different singers or subbing for other players. I have a book for each act that's alphabetized, in plastic, easy-to-turn sleeves. I may not work with some of these acts for long stretches of time, nor is there any rehearsal when I do. Subsequently, I have no problem showing up to these gigs with a stand, because my attitude is, "First, do no harm." This discussion is analogous to the "I never use effects" or "I'll never play a relic" or "All Teles must make you sound like Don Rich" discussions. Playing music means being open to new ideas, sounds, approaches, criticism, growth. As soon as we say "never," I think we run the risk of closing ourselves off to possibilities. Something as insignificant as a music stand has never been the reason I've not played well, but it sure has saved my ass on more than one occasion.

20. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You forgot maple vs rosewood!!!! :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.