1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gigging with a Blues Junior

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by clearfish, Oct 18, 2016.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, My BFDR is my go to amp. I use it everywhere (or just my BFD) I rarely, if ever, have it above 3 on the dial.
    But, I know pro, full band players who gig with the Blues Jr and seem to have plenty of headroom. One wore out his Classic 30.. literally. It had been repaired so many times we just gave up on it. After another amp attempt or two he settled on the Blues Jr. I think he got lucky as he hasn't had any issues with it that I'm aware of.

Two other non pro players have them and both had issues with their amps. One poor guy, a starter player used to come to my jam all the time with his brand new BJ. He'd wait a couple hours to get up to play and damn near every time his amp would fail! It turned out to be input jack fails and tube fails and something in the reverb circuit.

2. connuchar

connuchar Tele-Meister

eye have an older creme board version that eye did most of the Bill M mods to [ just shy of the output tubes change to 6v6 or 6l6]also got a c rex [thats broken in now] tilt back fender legs just in case, and a heyboer output trans with an 8 and 4 ohm tap and switch [ sometimes run an extension 8 ohm 1x12 cab hot rod model too] works good with humbucker or single coils too.

3. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

A blues Junior is plenty enough here’s one of mine. A tweed 3 with a WGS ET 65 speaker. Only drive was a boost set a 9am.

philta, Walker and swany like this.
  4. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I went to see a friend's band back in the winter at a cafe that holds about 100 people. She used a Blues Jr and I ended up completely taking the amp mic out of the front of house (I was helping with sound). It was PLENTY loud off the stage. This was blues trio (SRV style blues).

5. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Here's a Blues Jr unmiked on stage. Keep in mind this is also with the camera standing over on the other side with the bass and drums. In front it was plenty loud. (Yes, there is a mic in front of the amp but I was doing sound and I took it completely out of the mix as it was not a robust PA to begin with).

swany likes this.
  6. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Me too. They don't have any bottom. I call them and the ilk, cracker box amps. They cut too many corners and just don't sound good.

Yes, it will get somewhat loud, but not in a really desirable way to my ears. The clean is pretty sterile and ugly and the breakup isn't smooth and nice like so many classic amps.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  7. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Two video's above, one clean on a tele and one overdriven on a strat and they both sound fine to me lots of bottom and no harshness?.

8. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

If you need to project the sound of a Blues Junior or other similar size amp further out put it
    on a chair to get the sound past listeners close to the band.
    Don't aim it at the bar though. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.