Gigging stops gas

WRHB

Tele-Holic
If there’s a cure for gas I don’t want to know it. I’m glad all your stuff worked great. That’s always nice. But it’s also nice getting something you want/need…… or just want. As long as my bills are paid and we aren’t going hungry I buy something when I have the cash.

telekaster1999

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've been fight gas quite some time now, then Sweetwater had a drum pedal on sale this week I'd been looking at so.... you know the rest

danielreid27

Tele-Afflicted
Ya, I almost bought this but I didn't have the boots to match it ! 👹
eb563c88-d8d1-4b98-bca2-b526bf44f7b7.jpg
f87ba980-cabc-4344-99eb-0f791e132f4b.jpg

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
I always thought gigging helped keep it down. All that time spent rehearsing, practicing and commuting left less time to browse. Plus using gear in the real world, you see how little it takes to get the job done.

Ironically, I’m fighting off the GAS on a Black Friday deal on a HT Squier Strat ATM! 😂

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
Hi guys, I am thinking about strats for a while.
But tonight we played a gig and all my stuff worked so great.
I guess the gas is cured.
But a Hardtail strat would be nice, right?
There is the gig, of course that goes the other way. The realization that you dont have the right gear, amp, etc for the project. It can work both ways.

AquariumRock

Tele-Meister
I love my guitar. I don’t really want any others. Japanese Hybrid II Telecaster. Didn’t even know they existed a year ago, happened to see a YouTube video about them and it was a match made in heaven. Everything I could want.

I have a simple amp. Katana 50. Figured if I couldn’t readily say what “the” amp I wanted was, I should get something good enough for living room futzing around. If I hear an amp someday and go “that’s it!” I’m sure I’ll talk myself into buying it, but I don’t have that right now.

If I had a weakness I guess at one point it would have been pedals but I sold off my entire collection at one point and haven’t been itching to replace it. Maybe a Big Sky just to say I have it. That would make me feel like a real big shot. Buy a 400 dollar pedal to score that cloud setting.

Anyway, what I’m getting at is, gas is usually a manifestation of dissatisfaction. It’s up to you to know yourself well enough to know if that’s actual dissatisfaction with your gear or dissatisfaction with your abilities or vision.

I’ve always seen creative ruts as geographic distances. So if I’m stuck, I usually practice or play more often, usually in a state of frustration. My wife asked why I did it if it wasn’t fun, I told her it was like cutting rot out of a piece of wood, or draining a cyst. I have this bad mojo in me, I gotta work it out, exorcise the demons. Otherwise that negativity sits in your head and holds dominion.

Maybe playing out gives you that satisfaction, so you don’t feel the need to band aid it with new gear? A valuable lesson.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I'm definitely guilty of say, 'pedal GAS' or other cheaper accessories ( not really buying guitars, as too much $$- but tempted...)
when not doing a lot of gigs- I get distracted by a shiny toy sometimes!

But when busy, it's more like "Just grab something with fresh strings & play!"

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I don't know if there's a cure, but my gas has been greatly reduced by asking myself the following questions before buying something - 1) What will this do that none of my other guitars do? 2) What guitar will I stop playing because I'm playing this? 3) Would I REALLY play this enough to justify the outlay?

I've also instituted an "at least one out for every one in" rule, which I've stuck to pretty well lately. I also don't buy anything I don't try first - I mean the actual guitar, not one "like" it.

I believe if you follow these guidelines, it will greatly reduce your buying, if not your actual GAS.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Your fourth sentence proves your third sentence false!

It's an addiction like any other and this forum is the anti-AA whatever that is.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
the more I play the same stuff, the less I want something else, particularly if I'm taking the time and effort to keep the stuff I'm playing setup and maintained properly, and really practicing a lot. It makes me focus on the music and my hands and not the gear. Also it makes me pickier and realize how hard it is to get something else tweaked up to par, and If I'm playing a lot, I'm more sensitive to differences that make it impossible to play the harder stuff I'm trying to play.

It makes me like what I have more than what I try and see.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
idk, gigging fuels gas just as much as anything else.

but it fuels gas in a way that it makes me want to refine or pare down what i'm doing, find the efficient solution, rather than "oh wouldn't it be a nice thing if..."

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
A new Hardtail Strat would be Nice!

For me, GAS and Gigging feed each other and, feed on each other.
YEP!!!