Gigging / rehearing with 2 guitars

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Axegrinder77, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

So my special edition mim Tele with custom shop nocaster pups has been my main axe for a couple years.

Just bought an incredible sounding American standard Strat. Put 69 customs in there. My new number 1.

The Tele is no slouch, however, and I figured I'll be cool and use both. Strat is burst, Tele a striking contrast, opal.

So it's become a challenge. The guitars feel and sound different, duh. But I didn't realize that it might be more trouble than it's worth. Pedals need tweaking, slightly different necks (each which I like), trouble with volume, etc

Anyone go down this road and just settle on one guitar? Seems like life would become a whole lot easier, albeit less interesting.

2. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Wait till you have a few more... ;) It gets worse before it gets better..

3. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

I always gig with 2 guitars so I have a backup in case of string breakage. But, in this case you want the guitars to be as close sounding and feeling as you can.

In the case where you have 2 different sounding guitars, I would tend towards embracing the differences. Use the guitar that suits each song the best. If there is a large difference in volumes, you could use a boost pedal to make up the difference. The different feeling necks is something you will get used to over time. But if you have to tweak every setting, there's not much point using 2 different guitars.

4. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Using them both shouldn't be too hard. Just decide which songs are going to get which guitar and set yourself up for it.
    If the outputs of the guitars are different, use a boost pedal when playing the quieter one. Or use that difference to the song's advantage.

Daniel

aerhed and Pechorin like this.
  5. dsouza

dsouza TDPRI Member

All you need is one guitar. Having a backup tuned the same way is great if a string breaks. Think of how much a gig is paying before you go spending thousands on new guitars.

The Edge had like 15 guitars all different for one of his tours but another identical all different backup of each guitar in case of string breakage. So he had like 30 guitars on call for one tour.

I don’t believe there’s much money in gigging unless you’re famous or do weddings. So I don’t buy duplicate guitars and at this time in my life am focused on recording instead. Eventually, I want to get to the point where I’m selling my own original music online.

www.youtube.com/u2adrian1000

6. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

No, and I have been trying since 1976 to find That One Guitar. I used to get a LOT of grief from my band about changing guitars for different songs, and my compromise was a Strat.

Now the problem with a guitar compromise is, that means you're never actually satisfied. Which is another way of saying, you're always some percentage of uncomfortable.

Curiously, the guitars that have come closest to covering all the bases are a Gretsch 6120, a G&L Doheny, and a G&L Legacy with a splitable bridge humbucker. Note that all 3 have whammy bars.

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I use Two Teles, one in standard tuning, one in G, also a Strat and a Taylor acoustic .
    You never know when a string will break, or, you may simply be playing really well with one and your'e on a roll.

Random1643 likes this.
  8. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Have to take 3 to a gig in a few weeks since regular singers can’t be there and he plays acoustic on a few tunes.

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

that is why you have 2 pedal boards , one for the tele one for the strat

RodeoTex, stratoman1 and Mouth like this.
  10. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

My custom made Staufer T-Caster HSS is my absolut No 1, I´m playing classic rock, country, blues with my band. It suits for all. But for sure I take a second guitar with me as backup. It´s a tele, sounds slightly different, so I dial in different knob positions on my amp but never touch my pedals. It works.

If you want to use both get a good boost pedal with some eq possibilities (TC spark, Xotic RC) or an equalizer pedal, this should solve the problem without touching the amp or the pedals.

11. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

I rotate through my guitars and always bring two to a gig. Usually I play one for each set because I find it distracting to change in the middle.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not very fussy. So I can play a rehearsal or show with one guitar.

If I have second guitar, my rig may sound very slightly different when using it.

Isn't that to be expected? Why is that a problem?

cousinpaul likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I just bring one electric ( or acoustic, if it's an acoustic gig) to a gig, and 90%of the time it's my Strat. ( just have a few guitars anymore)
    It just seems everything I play ( even 'acoustic' songs) can be done with a Strat, a clean amp, and a way to make it dirty ( OD pedal). Just one hell of a versatile and comfy guitar!

There was a time ( basically late '80's thru '90's) when I NEVER did a gig w/o bringing 2 guitars and 2 amps. Then after say 10 years or so, it hit me " You never use or need the backups!"

So I just keep it simple, happy!

cousinpaul likes this.
  14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve always gigged with a minimum of two guitars.

Breaking a string is one thing but If one suddenly has a cracked dry solder and cuts out you can hardly fix that on stage. Yes that happened to me once in my life. Just switched guitars.

Now I gig with 4 but for variety tone and tuning reasons to best support the material I’m doing. Eg one is a 12 string for a handful of tracks. One is set tuned to capo on second fret for tracks where the singer needs the key.

It’s a bit of a pain to carry four but there you go.

15. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

For me, having more variables than absolutely necessary at a gig is just asking for trouble. I bring one guitar, one amp, and as few pedals as I can get away with.

16. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

This is why I combined a strat and a tele (sort of). Now I take two that are exactly the same, one is a backup.

17. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I've broken strings at several gigs (even ones that I put on that same week or a few days before). So now I don't ever gig without a backup. They are both telecasters though that are similar in sound, so i don't really have the problem of the two sounding much louder or different from one another.

8trackmind likes this.
  18. lost sailor

lost sailor TDPRI Member

Sounds to me like you need another Tele and Strat for just such an occasion

19. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed.

20. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I don't gig much, but if I do, I take a backup guitar. I use a multi fx box, and I'm finding that it's really pretty easy to program a few presets for each guitar, and label them clearly enough to tell what they are.

That way I can have a couple of variations of reverb, delay, compression, distortion, and modulation of some kind, set up for the tele, and the same for my humbucker guitars. Easy to change the whole board over with a couple of clicks.

It works so well that I think I'm going to clear out the rest of the factory presets to eliminate the possibility of getting lost in those and having to click my way out while people wait.

Chicago Slim and Random1643 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.