1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gigging musicians - what guitars do you gig with?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Johnny Morales, Sep 3, 2009.

1. James Lutz

James Lutz Tele-Meister

I've been thinking about this question lately. I recently realized that everything I own now is old. The newest amp I have is a 78, the newest guitar I have is an 82. I take my old 335 or my old teles out, don't have any choice. I should build me a partscaster but just don't get around to it.

2. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

Main Gigging Rig

I have a bunch of guitars I don't gig with. Same goes for amps. These are instruments I enjoy very much, but I don't want to worry about what could happen to them or in some cases, they're fragile and I'd like them to be with me a lot longer.

My main gigging rig is:

06 Crook silver paisley tele with 3 texas specials, g bender and a '66 Tele neck
    07 Fender CS closet CAR Esquire that has been stealthed with TS's for front and mid, under the hood.
    03 Turquoise G&L semi-hollow ASAT special.
    DRZ Stangray head, 2x12 Cel alnico gold cab
    DRZ Maz senior 2x12 combo
    plus the usual; assortment of boutique pedals...

Now that stuff is almost always at the gig.

Sometimes, if it's a smaller spot, I'll just bring a DRZ Maz Jr and 2x10 cab.

Other guitars I gig with:
    Martin 000-16 for acoustic gigs.

Gibson CS339 tobacco and a 1970 LP P90s, for blues gigs
    Two AMSTD Fender Teles naturals...
    Various other Teles, Les Paul juniors and such.

I don't take out 50s Les Pauls or 50s Gretsches...or 60s Fenders I have. I want to, but I can just see bad things happening. Same goes for my old Vox AC30s. Roadcases and all, some of the wood just can't take another knock.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  3. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Depends on location and tone.

#1 is my '73 blonde, but she's worth enough I take her out in "secure" places. Fortunately, most places I play fit the bill. If the set calls for soul or twang, out she comes! I also call on the 62 copy with a bucker in the neck (nicely built by Big Mike Griffin) and an epi dot. Either one's gig-worthy (and more replacable if lost).

Amps are either the blues junior for small gigs or bf pro reverb for big ones.

Come to think of it, that's about all I own, electric-wise, so I guess I DO gig what I buy.

This might be a better question to ask of the acoustic players. The tone of a $200 tele is close to that of a $1500 one, but very few $200 acoustics sound like first-class instruments.

4. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Most of the time, it's my '83 telly with a Duncan Broadcaster in the bridge (been there since '86-I think I like it!) or an Epi Dot (unmodded) going through either a Carvin Vintage 16 (for small gigs) or a HRDX for the bigger rooms. Sometimes, my Warmoth parts strat will make it to the van, or my Martin DR-1-not a high-end Martin, but really nice sound from that guitar (and it only cost me $400!). Pedalboard has nothing on there that cost me more than $60 (half was under $30!).

I have a parts telly that rarely sees action nowadays, it's setup for slide. I also have a Harmony H-4 lap steel that's seeing a fair amount of action lately.

Nothing really special hiding in my closet, all these guitars might wind up on the gig, depending on my mood...

Franc Robert

5. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Unless it is a Steel Guitar only gig where I would bring the Carter D10, this is it and has been for the past 7 or 8 years since I have owned it. 88 RI.

Attached Files:

6. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Only Electric I own at this time is a Peavey Reactor Tele. I like it and it does the job for me.

7. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

my main tele, a '97 american standard with a glendale vintage-style bridge and a '69 thinline neck, and a polytone minibrute III

the little box on top of the polytone is an alesis nanoverb, but actually, for this gig, it was set mostly dry--i just like to control guitar volume from it because the volume knobs on my polytone are pretty sensitive--tiny touch+ big jump...so i just set the amp as loud as i think i'll need it and then adjust from the nanoverb.

[​IMG]

8. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

As I said above somewhere, it depends on who I'm with and where I'm playing.

I'm just now back from a gig in a local pub with 'new personnel' and I wasn't sure what to bring so I took a telecaster, my Tokai 335, my Blues Junior and my Roland Cube 60. When I got there I set up the BJ and has a go dialing it in for the 335. Dropped the mids and bass and upped the master...dropped the volume/gain. Turned off the FAT switch (which is usually 'on' with a telecaster).
    Played the whole night with it and it was ace. And my minimal pedal board was pointless and mostly ignored. Just needed to be straight in and mainly on the middle both-pickups setting.
    Johnny Cash to Dick Dale to ballads to waltzes to Chuck Berry...all good.

But who knows how that setup would work somewhere else or with someone else?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.