Gigging Gear -- Savvy Solutions

kmcanney

Tele-Meister
+1 on Saddleback Leather bags. I bought my wife one of their bags years ago. They're expensive, but you will get your money's worth.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
What do you all use to haul your cables, etc. to gigs and keep it all organized..?

I gig with one small combo, 1-2 guitars, pedal board and the STUFF.
The Stuff includes the following:

- Guitar Cables (several)
- Long IEC Cable for pedal board
- Long/thin extension cord w/ multiple outlets
- Shure SM-58 and mic cable
- Single folding guitar stand

Right now I use a computer laptop bag with the stand slung off a carabiner on the
laptop bag strap. It's pretty convenient, small, light -- but barely holds everything.
Maybe a good way to combine the STUFF bag and the pedal board soft case..?

I really like being able to carry everything to/from the venue in one trip, and/but keep
thinking of ways to further consolidate or otherwise make the lugging process easier.

If you'd care to, show/tell me how you lug your STUFF to gigs.
I’ve got my pedals to amp cables configured as a loom, colour coded and each the right length. Virtually eliminates tangling and is simple to plug in. Hold all for cables with a small toiletries bag for picks, capo, batteries etc inside it. Pedal board in a bespoke bag. Mic. and music stand in another bag and then guitar and amp. Max three easy to manage trios to the car and all fits without folding the seats.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
I use this one that I bought from Guitar Center. Holds a LOT of stuff, and very well made.

gigBag.JPG

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear/Professional-Music-Gear-Bag.gc

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
4 boxes: 2 guitars, a pedalboard box, and your amp with all the cables & mic in the back of the amp. Convertible cart/dollies are affordable at any home improvement store.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
If you want one load maybe a daypack that you can carry on your back makes sense. Get it in a lighter color so it’s easier to see the gear, which is mostly black.

Wheels can sure help unless you deal with stairs a lot. Lots of options ranging from wheelie bags to luggage carts to folding hand trucks, etc. Luggage you use for travel can be pressed into service as well, rather than just sit there useless between trips.
Good point re colour. The offer to ‘give you a hand carrying your gear to the car’ invariably means putting it down by the boot, often in the dark, in a black case. Never lost anything so far but had to turn back to pick something up.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
For gigs where I don't need as much stuff, I use one of these. An old Klein "drag bag", It will never wear out, and if something were to break, it's fixable at a luggage or shoe shop.

klein.JPG

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I use a nice and sturdy backpack I had originally bought for my son when he was in Boy Scouts years ago. It has a lot of pockets for small stuff, like strings, cables and tools. The main area can handle a small amp, up to a Champ or Monoprice 5w size. There are several "tactical bags" on Amazon that are similar to it in the $50 or so range.

If I was hauling a lot more, I'd shop around for a cart of some type.

bullfrogblues

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I used one of these Rigid boxes. built dividers for it to keep things separated. With the handle pulled out you can stack more items on it. I put my combo amp and hard pedalboad case for easy wheeled operation. Plus it doubled as an amp stand after getting all the needed equipment out.
Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 9.20.32 AM.png

Jeru

Tele-Holic
Thanks for all of your responses/ideas so far..! I've added pics of
the laptop bag and the STUFF to my original post and also below.

Also, I have this hard silver case -- could be a way to consolidate
the Effects bag and the stuff for certain gigs.

IMG-9947.JPG
IMG-9948.jpg
IMG_9950.JPG
IMG_9951.JPG

If the bag that CCK1 suggested would safely hold my pedalboard
(without its own bag) on one side and the stuff on the other then
that could seriously be a contender.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear/Professional-Music-Gear-Bag.gc

SlimGrady

TDPRI Member
I use a rolling Stanley brand tool box. It has a big bottom compartment I use for cables and power, two partitioned shelf areas good for microphones and picks or extra patch cables, and then the stop opens up and I keep my in ears and extra strings and guitar care tools.

Attachments

• stanley.jpg
    stanley.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 5

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
Roller airline travel suitcase... Cheap at 2nd hand stores. If they can withstand the airlines.....well.