Gig Review: BONO, GLASGOW CLYDE AUDITORIUM.

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
A very long round trip tonight to see this gig due to picking up my daughter en route to see Bono tonight at the Glasgow Clyde Auditorium aka "The Armadillo".

My daughter and I have our annual night out at this time of year, to coincide with my sobriety date and her birthday.
I'm recently 10 years old in this second life in the one lifetime, she's 28 this week.

The evening started with a tour around my old alma mater, Glasgow University where she hopes to study in 2024 when her youngest starts school. It's the end of the city where I was born and also where I used to push her around in the pram when she was a baby.

Then it was off to the gig for an evening with Bono who's doing a handful of gigs to coincide with his just released memoirs.
Not his usual band, a harp player, a cellist and a percussion and sometimes synth player.
Not a typical U2 gig either, a far cry from the first time I saw them 41 years ago.

Quite an intimate affair, storytelling punctuated with stripped down versions of his songs with some animations on 2 projector screens on a set that looked like a play. Two seats and a table where he relived conversations with his father in Finigan's bar in Dalkey, South Dublin.
A bar my daughter and I also know well from some summer holidays spent in Dalkey/Killiney back when my wife would spend a month working in the city, allowing myself, my daughter and my son to explore Dublin and our ancestral origins in County Kildare. Also, the city where my own father spent his early life.

I've never seen a gig quite like it before, a bit like watching a play and a musical performance rolled into one. For all his flaws, Bono is one hell of a storyteller, I saw a very endearing, engaging and self-deprecating side of the man tonight.

One of those gigs where 2hours was 4hours too short and one that will be etched in my memory for a long time.

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
U2 is still one of the best live shows I’ve ever seen, even 40 years on.

My wife went with a friend to see them for the first time five or so years ago and said the same thing.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
can't stand the man, or anything he stands for. What you describe though DOES sound interesting and had he been performing near me I'd have made the effort

And yes, before you say ANYTHING, I don't understand me or how I work either!!! Go figure.

@Kandinskyesque I had the pleasure of seeing a fellow Scot, Paulo Nutini, the other night in liverpool. Didn't know much of anything he's done, went along to keep the wife company, but it was a VERY good gig.

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
I had the pleasure of seeing a fellow Scot, Paulo Nutini, the other night in liverpool. Didn't know much of anything he's done, went along to keep the wife company, but it was a VERY good gig.
He's great live, 8 years since his last album and his tours are few and far between. My grandson (5) had got right into him due to my daughter having his latest on repeat. He stands in front of the mirror with his uke pretending he's Paolo the same way I did with Elvis and Rod at that age.

He asked me if I could take him to see him but the tickets at the Glasgow Hydro were well gone.

I actually helped out humphing amps etc at his first gig in King Tuts back in 2005 when my guitar tech mate was doing his manager a 'favour' (unpaid) at the gig.
His audience was mainly family (lots of middle aged aunties etc).
I thought I was watching another Marti Pellow clone, so that shows just how much I know about emerging talent.