GIG MOTIVATION.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I'll never take another gig for granted ever again.

I last gigged in late 2017, when a long term health/disability issue caught up with me. Since then, I became increasingly bedbound and subsequently very depressed until reaching the nadir of utter demoralisation last year with 90% of 2021 having me unable to get out of bed.

Some treatment for pituitary dysfunction which started at the end of last year has had me reduce my bedbound time to about 50%.
I was asked to play a 45 min set at a fundraising event this Saturday and since agreeing to it there seems to be a spark I haven't felt for a long time.
In the past 5 days my time of feeling utterly fatigued has reduced by half, I haven't felt so much as a tinge of depression. I even restrung and set up 5 guitars over the weekend, including a 70 mile round trip to a luthier to fix something beyond my ability.

This forthcoming 45 minutes of playing has given me more meaning that all my navel gazing, fighting illness and philosophising could ever do.
Mrs K noticed it before me, we were both concerned about the crash afterwards

This afternoon my next door neighbour (public art sculptor) popped round to tell me he was having the grand opening of his 20 acre environmental arts centre in mid July. It's a whole day and evening event. He has spent 4 years developing it near Loch Lomond.
There's about 150 people going to it.

The date happens to be the day Mrs K and I are taking the 4 grandkids for a week at the coast.

Not knowing about my holiday, my neighbour asked me if I could play three one hour long sets throughout the day.
Before I could open my mouth to explain my holiday plans, Mrs K answered a very firm "Of course he'll do it!" she then said we can postpone the holiday for 24 hours if it means getting the version of me for the next 8 weeks, albeit exhausted by bedtime, that she's seen over the past week.

After my neighbour left, Mrs K asked me if I'd ever realised how much performing was part of my life force. I knew that partially but not as obviously as she did. Thinking about it, our second date in 1988 was me doing a singer songwriter set in a bar one Saturday afternoon.

"Just promise me you'll never take another gig for granted again. Ever!" she said.

I promised and I won't ever take another gig for granted.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's

I last gigged in late 2017, when a long term health/disability issue caught up with me. Since then, I became increasingly bedbound and subsequently very depressed until reaching the nadir of utter demoralisation last year with 90% of 2021 having me unable to get out of bed.

Some treatment for pituitary dysfunction which started at the end of last year has had me reduce my bedbound time to about 50%.
I was asked to play a 45 min set at a fundraising event this Saturday and since agreeing to it there seems to be a spark I haven't felt for a long time.
In the past 5 days my time of feeling utterly fatigued has reduced by half, I haven't felt so much as a tinge of depression. I even restrung and set up 5 guitars over the weekend, including a 70 mile round trip to a luthier to fix something beyond my ability.

This forthcoming 45 minutes of playing has given me more meaning that all my navel gazing, fighting illness and philosophising could ever do.

This afternoon my next door neighbour (public art sculptor) popped round to tell me he was having the grand opening of his 20 acre environmental arts centre in mid July. It's a whole day and evening event. He has spent 4 years developing it near Loch Lomond.

The date happens to be the day Mrs K and I are taking the 4 grandkids for a week at the coast.

Not knowing about my holiday, my neighbour asked me if I could play three one hour long sets throughout the day.
Before I could open my mouth to explain my holiday plans, Mrs K answered a very firm "Of course he'll do it!" she then said we can postpone the holiday for 24 hours if it means getting the version of me for the next 8 weeks, albeit exhausted by bedtime, that she's seen over the past week.

After my neighbour left, Mrs K asked me if I'd ever realised how much performing was part of my life force. I knew that partially but not as obviously as she did. Thinking about it, our second date in 1988 was me doing a singer songwriter set in a bar one Saturday afternoon.

"Just promise me you'll never take another gig for granted again. Ever!" she said.

Good news from bad with a keeper for a wife. Congrats!

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity

Hey, I LIKE your Wfe.
A LOT!!!
She knows what makes you tick.
You are very lucky to have a Woman like that share your Life.
~ST

Synchro

Tele-Holic
You have given me a lot to think about.

My job is a good job, but demanding, and at times, I work some long hours. My gigs are infrequent, but at times, it seems like a lot of work to pack in, play, pack out and the stow everything once I get home.

OTOH, playing is my time to cut loose and really enjoy myself. My preferred format is a guitar, bass and drums trio, and carrying the melodic and chordal aspects of the music, plus a fair number of the vocals, is really a lot of fun. I’m not sure that playing music is an optional activity.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My chiropractor tells me "movement is medicine."
You have taught me that "music is medicine."
Hope it helps you to continue your amazing recovery!
And we all want to know ... does your wife have any sisters?

fendrguitplayr

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Excellent! Music does indeed have healing power.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Great story. And it expresses anecdotally something I've said in principle for years.

About a decade or more ago I attended a reunion and one of my old high school friends let me know in conversation that he had quit playing guitar decades ago. I considered him a better guitar player than me at the time, and so it blew my mind to hear him say that. I replied, "I don't get it. Don't you know guitar playing is cheaper than therapy?!?" 😲;)

I recently was contemplating not taking on any more gigs. I'm on the downhill slide towards 69 years of age, and when I wake up the next day after a gig, I'm stiff, and not in a good way. :oops: I really got to thinking about how much longer I could do this.

Then on the Friday going into Memorial Day weekend I did a gig that I had committed to, and it turned out to be a near perfect night in performance, with the most tips I've ever gotten at that venue ($102). Oh, and the proprietors of the venue already had me scheduled for July, but called me in on a PUG (pick up gig) for this Saturday night.

Yeah, I love to perform, to entertain. And when it all clicks, it's really great. So as long as they keep calling me back, I'll not take for granted any gig, either.

Synchro

Tele-Holic
Great story. And it expresses anecdotally something I've said in principle for years.

About a decade or more ago I attended a reunion and one of my old high school friends let me know in conversation that he had quit playing guitar decades ago. I considered him a better guitar player than me at the time, and so it blew my mind to hear him say that. I replied, "I don't get it. Don't you know guitar playing is cheaper than therapy?!?" 😲;)

I recently was contemplating not taking on any more gigs. I'm on the downhill slide towards 69 years of age, and when I wake up the next day after a gig, I'm stiff, and not in a good way. :oops: I really got to thinking about how much longer I could do this.

Then on the Friday going into Memorial Day weekend I did a gig that I had committed to, and it turned out to be a near perfect night in performance, with the most tips I've ever gotten at that venue ($102). Oh, and the proprietors of the venue already had me scheduled for July, but called me in on a PUG (pick up gig) for this Saturday night.

Yeah, I love to perform, to entertain. And when it all clicks, it's really great. So as long as they keep calling me back, I'll not take for granted any gig, either.
If I didn’t have to schlep gear, I’d be happy to play gigs for the rest of my life. For the most part, I travel pretty light, an amp I can lift with one hand, one guitar, a small effects board, a backpack with cables, straps etc, and I usually carry a small spare head in case I lose a tube, during a gig. Basically, two trips, but even that seems like too much. It’s not a matter of fitness, my daily exercise program is far more strenuous. It reduces to the hassle.

Buck Owens had the idea. He built the Crystal Palace near his home and performed there. Obviously, I have neither the money, nor the fame, to build my own venue and attract an audience, but it would sure be nice to play in a familiar setting, and just have to plug in your guitar and go. Especially if you had a stable band to work with, so there wouldn’t be any unwelcome surprises, musically.