Gig Bags and Cases

MattyLa1978

TDPRI Member
Afternoon,

Any recommendations for a reasonable case to keep a new Squire? I like the Gator Transport Series but don't want to spend a quarter of the guitars worth on a case. I was looking at amazon and eh, not impressed. Any ideas or thoughts much appreciated.

Might have to just look for a deal on ebay or reverb.

Matty

MattyLa1978

TDPRI Member
I suggest looking for a double gig bag. When you’re playing out, carrying the backup guitar is easy.

I’d look for a good used Fender double gig bag. I have one for guitar, and one for bass. They’ve served me well for years.
I was thinking of getting a double bag for my acoustic (which is my main guitar playing out) and the new Squier I recently got but not to sure about that.

Always good information and ideas in this forum so I figured I'd ask.

nortally

TDPRI Member
Afternoon,

Any recommendations for a reasonable case to keep a new Squire? I like the Gator Transport Series but don't want to spend a quarter of the guitars worth on a case. I was looking at amazon and eh, not impressed. Any ideas or thoughts much appreciated.

Matty
Um, it's a Squier. A worthy case may well cost more than the guitar, LOL. But the case isn't just protecting the guitar, it's protecting you from the mental anguish of giant scratches on the back of the neck or having to replace it.

My tips FWIW:

- I have on occasion walked into a music store that handles used gear and asked if they had any used cases. One time they said yes and I picked up a battered but sturdy ABS case for about $35 as I recall. Maybe 10 years ago. That was Starving Musician in Berkeley.

- Gig bags are better if you're constrained for space. I have 8 guitars and too many hard cases.

- I would be more picky about a gig bag than a case. Well-made and padded.

ricardo1912

Friend of Leo's
I bought a nice looking tweed fender gig bag but it didn't protect my guitars much. Now i go for the decently padded ones that have the pocket inside for the bottom of the guitar.
Cases are probably better but take up too much space. I hang my bags up out of the way

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
I use this a lot to go to and fro from lessons. I want a case but this is what I have and it has good padding. The only problem is that it is a little tight on the upper horn of a Strat or Tele, but it helps so that it doesn't move.
IMG_20220308_123407070.jpg
img_20220308_123441449-jpg.959751
IMG_20220308_123515455.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220308_123441449.jpg
    IMG_20220308_123441449.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 424

MattyLa1978

TDPRI Member
Um, it's a Squier. A worthy case may well cost more than the guitar, LOL. But the case isn't just protecting the guitar, it's protecting you from the mental anguish of giant scratches on the back of the neck or having to replace it.

My tips FWIW:

- I have on occasion walked into a music store that handles used gear and asked if they had any used cases. One time they said yes and I picked up a battered but sturdy ABS case for about $35 as I recall. Maybe 10 years ago. That was Starving Musician in Berkeley.

- Gig bags are better if you're constrained for space. I have 8 guitars and too many hard cases.

- I would be more picky about a gig bag than a case. Well-made and padded.
I don't disagree on any of those points. I'm most likely going to go with the Gator Transit Case. I do like the idea of getting a good case for a deal though!

Cheers!

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
Check pawn shops and, as mentioned above, music stores that take trade-ins. Often, they will separate used guitars from their cases, so they can sell 2 things instead of one.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Get a cheap gig bag and then keep an eye out at thrifts, garage sales, rummage sales, CL, etc… I find a lot of nice hard cases in the $10-25 range.

Got this tweed case recently at a church sale for $25. Have also found nice vintage Fender and Gibson cases for less than $20

51564125680_852aa41a81_k.jpg

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
The tan padded G&L gig bag that came with my ASAT is great. I bought the guitar decades ago. So I don't know if the bags are still made as well. But I can't imagine that used ones are commanding top dollar. Good luck hunting.

Last edited:

guitarndrms

Tele-Meister
Afternoon,

Matty
I use a road runner bag for my bullet tele. It’s light and has decent padding. It’s not going to protect it on a flight or if it’s dropped, etc.. I use it locally and to store when it’s not being used. I’ve been happy with it.

dspellman1

Tele-Meister
I was thinking of getting a double bag for my acoustic (which is my main guitar playing out) and the new Squier I recently got but not to sure about that.
I'd suggest not.

I have a Mono Duo (double bag, expensive) that will handle a pair of LPs. It's heavy, bulky and a PIA to get the second guitar out when it's time. I'm not giving it up any time soon, but understand the downsides before you part with the not-inconsiderable cash to buy one.

My other beef with the Mono design is that there's nothing to restrain the body from side ways motion and nothing to restrain the guitar from sliding toward its headstock. In the first case, it's essentially the contact between the bridge and the internal fabric that attempts to keep the body of the guitar from moving around, and that's not good for either the bridge nor the fabric. In the second case, you'll notice that while the neck of the guitar is restrained from moving side to side, nothing keeps the guitar from vertical motion. You'll never see a guitar dropped off the back of a truck on its headstock in the Mono videos, and you don't want to see the results of that if you've got a Gibson-style neck/headstock. The design really needs some foam options for the interior. At the moment, the substitute for foam in my case is old t-shirts wadded up.

The accessory pocket on a Mono isn't very large, which is why they make a fairly expensive accessory called The Tick that can be fastened to the exterior of the case. I think The Tick, though, is $100 by itself. The Tick does the job, and if you're trying to move as much as you can with a single set of backpack straps, it's worthwhile. But it's a "snaggy" accessory that will rip out a set of D-Rings if you've got a gorilla roadie ( or if you're your own frustrated gorilla roadie) who wants. That. Guitar. Out.Right.Now.

dspellman1

Tele-Meister
Check pawn shops and, as mentioned above, music stores that take trade-ins. Often, they will separate used guitars from their cases, so they can sell 2 things instead of one.

I walked into my local GC near Christmas and walked out with three hard cases at $9.99 each. Not a typo.

I was actually looking for a case for a Gretsch 2420T hollow body I'd picked up a few months before, used. This is not an expensive guitar, and a $150 case was going to be a non-starter. I was okay with a gig bag for it, but they didn't have one that fit at the time.

I noticed a double stack of older, used (and dirty) cases in the Drums section (!) and wandered over. One of the cases was obviously designed for an acoustic guitar and when I snagged a 2420 off their wall, it fit! The 2420 is a hollow body with a near-3" body thickness (and that stupid Bigsby tacked on besides). It was fine on the inside, but the outside was seriously dirty. Same was true of a couple of LP-size Epiphone cases (I had guitars that I'd purchased that came with no bag, no case). Once home, they all cleaned up very well, with perfect latches and handles all round. Thirty bucks well spent for three hard cases.

dspellman1

Tele-Meister
these are sometimes cheaper than you'd expect, especially if they're for specific instruments, and you just happen to have one of those. I wandered into a used case section in one out-of-the-way store and found a used Carvin case (G&G design) aimed at a Carvin LB-75 five string bass. I had a 1989 LB-75 (five string) with a Jackson-style tilted pointy headstock, and it was near impossible to find a case for it -- until I ran across this one. Used but pristine, and the bass settled into it perfectly. Happy dance. And it was cheaper because the store was pretty sure it was NEVER going to sell it.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I use this a lot to go to and fro from lessons. I want a case but this is what I have and it has good padding. The only problem is that it is a little tight on the upper horn of a Strat or Tele, but it helps so that it doesn't move. View attachment 959750
img_20220308_123441449-jpg.959751
View attachment 959752
Horrors! That bag has eaten away half the finish on your Strat! That must REALLY be a tight fit!