Gig bag sufficient for Thinlines?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Treehouse, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Treehouse

Treehouse TDPRI Member

I wouldn’t transport my Sheraton in anything other than a hard case but I trust my solid body tele would survive fine in an old paper bag.

Where do the Thinlines fall in terms of durability? Would you put one in a light-duty gig bag and toss it in the back seat? Or are they delicate little flowers deserving of abs/tolex hard cases?

joy-z likes this.
  2. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I built this one 20yrs ago, it gets gigged all the time. It's just started on it's 3rd gig bag:confused: IMG_20200112_142247799.jpg IMG_20200112_142247799.jpg
    Your mileage may vary~always put on top of the pile when loading up;)

Attached Files:

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Since I started building partscasters I have like 15 guitars now. I've got three good Fender hardshell cases that I use for whichever guitars I'm taking out of the house. I've also got about five gig bags - they stay home for storage of whatever isn't hanging on the walls. Then I've got two hardshell cases dedicated to specific guitars - one is my acoustic and the other is for my SG.

So I travel with guitars in hardshell cases but don't have enough for all my guitars by a long shot. I have never had a guitar get messed up in a gig bag, but I do my best to not take them on the road. I've got one thinline, but I don't think it's less sturdy than my other Teles.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It will be fine, throw it in a gunny sack if you dont mind the itch.

audiopablo, Treehouse and SAguitar like this.
  5. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

I had a hybrid bass case from Roadrunner that I loved! The inside was just like a hard case but the outside had a tough fabric and it didn’t cost or weigh as much as a full hard case. I’ve played the upside of 800 dates at church. I didn’t drag it to bars or anything like that(regretfully) but the church isnt always open on time and the weather often sucks. I put it through the ringer and it held up really well. I highly recommend that type of case and from RR if it works for your situation.

Treehouse likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I say yep gigbag and don't worry, but then again I'll carry an acoustic in a gigbag without thinking twice about it

Treehouse likes this.
  7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I have five teles: two are solidbodies; two are chambered; one is a thinline, the second from the right in the pic below. They're custom made, not FMIC products, so I'm not sure how the durability of my thinline compares to theirs. Mine is a Logan Custom "Logo" thinline (the "logo" cutout on the body approximating the cursive "L" of Bob Logan's name on the headstock) and feels very solid. I've gigged with it a bunch.
    06-29-2019 - My Logan Custom Teles - 2a.jpg

That said, none of my guitars travel in gig bags. It has less to do with the sturdiness of their construction and more to do with how they're transported and loaded in and out. For gigs, I use a flat dolly to load in my gear, and the guitar(s) is/are always on the bottom, with an amp or two, a mic stand and gig bag on top of that. So, never a gig bag.

Furthermore, my wife and I take a lot of trips in our travel trailer. Depending upon the trip and/or time of year, we have a lot of gear to pack for these trips, so the guitars are crowded in alongside of a toolbox, generators, etc. Again, I'll only use a hardshell case for my guitars.

I have three hardshell cases for teles, but I can't recall a time I ever took three teles to a gig or on a camping trip. So usually it's just one tele in a hardshell case on a trip out the door, sometimes two.

An incident took place a decade ago that sticks with me and is a large part of why I never travel with guitars in gig bags. My son-in-law sometimes plays on the praise team at his church. He would leave his amp at the building and just transport his guitar to and from. One Sunday, after the church service was over, he brought his guitar out to the minivan and set it down by the rear hatch. He then got distracted by helping my daughter get the children in their seats and buckled in, and once the kids were secured in their seats, he just got behind the wheel and began to back out.

Until he heard a crunching sound. He slammed it into Park and got out to survey the damage. The left rear wheel of the minivan had rolled up on top of the forgotten guitar! The hardshell case was damaged, but the tele inside (also a Logan Custom "Logo" thinline, BTW) was not. The hardshell case gave it's life so that the guitar might live. So I just won't transport any guitar unless it's in a hardshell case.

8. clayville

clayville TDPRI Member

It's more about the headstock than the body. Angled headstocks like the OP's Sheraton (or almost all Gibsons) are a very real point of weakness and are all too susceptible to breaks. For me, gig bags are too risky for guitars designed like that, but fine for Teles of any stripe. YMMV.

Treehouse likes this.
  9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Yep......

IMG_20190123_224914485.jpg

-obligatory Bus Station shot.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Like others, I don't take a guitar out unless it's in a hardshell case. The only exception would be a canvas polyfoam case I've seen that GuitarFetish used to sell. Very lightweight, but VERY rigid. Probably wouldn't survive what LGOberean described, but I "try" to pay more attention......yeah, I know.....famous last words. The only gig bag I own is the one that came with my PRS SE One.....and it doesn't get used. I have a hardshell for that guitar as well.

Treehouse likes this.
  11. Treehouse

Treehouse TDPRI Member

I guess I really should have phrased the question: “is a Thinline tele adequate for defending Mick Jagger from deranged fans?”

Deeve and dougstrum like this.
  12. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Being a bit lighter you should get a faster swing with a thinline:twisted:

Deeve likes this.
  13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I take my thinline everywhere in my PRS gig bag, but I don't ever "throw" my guitars around anyhow and I don't stack gear on them...I would venture to say that, for all the things you would normally do with a guitar, a thinline is just as durable as a regular tele. Probably not as durable being used as a club, a shovel, a boat paddle, etc. but as a musical instrument - I wouldn't worry.

14. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This.
    Answer.
    Wins.

Peace - Deeve

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I prefer gig bags, for all instruments .
    Hard shell cases are a clumsy PITA, IMO.
    Good quality bags offer plenty of protection.

16. harpdog

harpdog TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

The Gator Transit bags are great

17. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I will use the Gibson gig bag that came with my Gibson Melody Maker for any of my Teles (thinline included) or Strats. However, I would never put a Gibson in one due to the angled headstock...they break WAY to easily.

I take very good care of my guitars and they ride inside the car with me, sometimes even riding shotgun!

18. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Gig bag works great for my Thinline. I even use it for my ES339. Yes, I know I'm a rebel!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.