Gig bag for a Gibson?

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
IMHO, hard shell cases offer a false sense of security. Unless there is absolutely no movement in the case, you still risk getting a Gibson smile on your headstock. Don't ask me how I know ...

Well-made, well-fitting bags are out there that do a far superior job. Unless I am shipping overseas, I will never use a hardcore for any of my guitars again.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
IMHO, hard shell cases offer a false sense of security. Unless there is absolutely no movement in the case, you still risk getting a Gibson smile on your headstock. Don't ask me how I know ...

Well-made, well-fitting bags are out there that do a far superior job. Unless I am shipping overseas, I will never use a hardcore for any of my guitars again.
Gibson USA Cordura Electric Guitar Padded Gig Bag | Reverb

20220701_115926.jpg

Last edited:

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yes, this one, it is outstanding:

Also this one which is a little cheaper:
I own the brown one, and my #1 workhorse guitar resides in it.
It has held up very well for three years, and has a nice, big accessory pocket.
Highly recommend!

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member

I was going to post pretty much exactly this. Many headstock breaks are actually *caused* by the case. The case gets knocked over, the flat surface smacks the ground hard, and the headstock's momentum keeps it moving to the point where it breaks. The case itself is heavy and creates more momentum. To protect the headstock in a hard case, you need one that has a wedge to clamp the headstock from both sides.

Hard cases do offer a very small amount of crush protection. You can't stack your amp on it, but you can stack more guitars on it.

A soft case offers no crush protection, but they rarely fall hard enough to break a headstock. They usually don't have a flat surface, so that stops the hard smack, and they absorb a lot of load.

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
My band mate has a Godin hollow body that came with a really nice soft case--almost looks like a cello case--but it had full neck and headstock protection. Heavily padded, but still soft. I would trust something like that over a hard case to protect the neck for the reasons mentioned above.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
mono are nice, but they are comparable to a hard case price wise.

Attachments

• 64C9CD89-3F9E-48F1-B524-EF1545E5D4F4.jpeg
    64C9CD89-3F9E-48F1-B524-EF1545E5D4F4.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 11

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I recently got a Gibson LP Special Tribute that came with no case.

Are there any gig bags out there designed to support angled headstocks?
These use to come with Gibson LP Special and Junior Tributes a coupla years ago. I've got a couple and they're pretty good. I wouldn't toss it around in the back of a van or anything, but works fine in the backseat of a car. If you want top notch protection, go with Mono, but they're expensive.

Gibson USA Cordura Electric Guitar Padded Gig Bag | Reverb
reverb.com

Frontman

Tele-Holic
When you take a Gibson out, in a gig bag, the extra element of jeopardy is always in your mind. None of the bags with headstock features has tempted me but the black, triangular, white plush lined bag that Gibson sold budget guitars in, for a number of years, is still doing it's job. Maybe 400-500 trips on top of my other gear, in the car, or on the bus. The bag is still in remarkable shape but careful handling is the key. Whatever your budget, buy something close fitting and treat it gently. :)
View attachment 999803

This is what my new SG Standard came with. The guitar did well enough in the bag. Outside the bag the dog knocked it over and broke the head stock.

TCA117

Tele-Meister
I was looking at gig bags for my Les Paul just yesterday. I so appreciate this post. I'll take it out only in the hard case.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I never trusted a Gibson in a gig bag. I'm sure other have had great experiences but it's a HSC for me
I am a huge fan of 'gig bags only' anymore as I have a bad back, so I gig as light as possible. I even have a ( thick padded ) gig bag for a 000-28- style Blueridge.

But my Epi SG Pro ( my only Gibson style)gets an HSC. Gotta take care of headstock and neck/body joins...