Gig bag for a Gibson?

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I recently got a Gibson LP Special Tribute that came with no case.

Are there any gig bags out there designed to support angled headstocks?

gib lp spl dc.jpg

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
When you take a Gibson out, in a gig bag, the extra element of jeopardy is always in your mind. None of the bags with headstock features has tempted me but the black, triangular, white plush lined bag that Gibson sold budget guitars in, for a number of years, is still doing it's job. Maybe 400-500 trips on top of my other gear, in the car, or on the bus. The bag is still in remarkable shape but careful handling is the key. Whatever your budget, buy something close fitting and treat it gently. :)
1656691464263.png

WilburBufferson

Friend of Leo's
I once took a Gibson similar to yours out in a MONO bag. The top of the bag got caught in a door as it was closing, resulting in a big flake of lacquer chipping off on the edge of the headstock. Unless you don't mind an easily road worn guitar, get a hard case as others have suggested.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
To be clear, I have a few Gibsons in cases. However, I know that some folks on here swear by bags and also play Gibsons, so I wanted to ask the experts before going case shopping.

McGlamRock

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a road runner case I would use for my Gibson 335- I think mine is sized for an acoustic, but if I wrapped the headstock in a couple of t shorts (or maybe a towel?) I think it would be safe.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
IMO hardshell cases are less protection (generally speaking) for these guitars than a high quality bag. Check Mono and Reunion Blues.

Or buy a hardshell. It’s your guitar. If you go that way, go high end. Don’t buy a factory Gibson case. They sport high pricing, but they’re largely junk.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a leather case made by Harvest. It was the nicest soft case for a Les Paul I'd ever seen, so I bought one.

Full neck and headstock protection. Thick padding around the body. I've had it for 15 years and it has stood up perfectly to keep my guitars safe thrrough all my musical monkey business adventures.

NOTE: If you handle your own gear, a bag like this is great. If someone else (roadies, airlines, etc.) are touching your stuff, a road case (Anvil, etc.) is the only way to go.

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
Besides the aforementioned Mono and Reunion Blues Gigbags, there are also thick padded Gator Bags which will do the job.
I can confirm, I had issues with Gibson Cases, especially the damn expensive Lifton Reissue Cases from GWW, but I once had Hiscox Case, and while ugly, it was light and extremely sturdy. They are from the UK, not sure how the access is in the US.
Otherwise I'd always feel better with a good gigbag, than a case.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
FYI. You do know that SGs are notorious for neck breaks.

Hard case only ...imho

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I keep my Gibson Les Paul Studio in a hard case, but it did come with the Premium Case. If I wasn't obsessively paranoid beyond reason, I would keep my LP in it. It is well padded, the zippers feel great, and overall a great case...👍👍

20220701_181525279_iOS.jpg 20220701_181658281_iOS.jpg

20220619_182254178_iOS.jpg DxPCaseLPB-large.jpg.auto.jpg

Last edited: