1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson's dual control setup vs Fender's single vol/single tone pot

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DHart, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Whitebeard

Whitebeard TDPRI Member

I haven't read all the posts so this may be redundant. You could install concentric/stacked pots in your strat or tele. Here's Warmoth's and near the bottom of the description window there is a link to lower and upper knobs for them. You may find a less expensive source, that's on you./ :) - www.warmoth.com/Concentric-Pot-C825.aspx

NoTeleBob likes this.
  2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

It's an aliexpress $7 special :D

the store is called Pieroo, they have (almost) everything you could imagine. I have another black one the same shape but it's an 'esquire' version with no pickup hole.

Asmith likes this.
  3. Supereditor

Supereditor TDPRI Member

More possibilities are always nice and one doesn’t need to use them if they are unwanted. It’s easy to keep everything but the master volume rolled up on a Les Paul or Gretsch.

I don’t fiddle around much with blending, but being able to use the pickup selector as a kill switch can come in handy.

4. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

I don't care for the tone/volume controls on guitars in general. They always seem to have them in the wrong place and lacking the functionality you need. Ideally, there should always be two volume knobs if you have more than one pickup. This allows you to control the dynamics of the guitar and really get some drastic differences between pickups. Tone controls are just about useless on most guitars because all they allow you to do is cut treble. There should always be the option to cut bass as well, otherwise, it's not a "tone" control, it's a "treble cut",
    But that's what modding is all about. Thankfully you don't have to stick with what the manufacturers have been putting in there for the last 70 years.

NoTeleBob likes this.
  5. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

That’s where setting the amp to make the neck pickup (with that tone knob full up) crisp and articulate and then toning down the bridge pickup to compensate for the added treble from the amp, comes in. Revelation for me. The LP sings in any toggle position, now.

6. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

Diagram didn't show up. If you can repost, that would be great. I'd like to see one integrated with the S1 switch.

7. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

I'm probably in the minority, But I could rip out all my tone pots... They stay wide open on every guitar I own.

Clifton C and Chiogtr4x like this.
  8. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

That's a interesting idea. Probably doesn't work for the "I need to change settings while playing" players, but otherwise gives you a lot of flexibility. You could have dual volume and treble/bass cut. With three controls, you could even have a third single pot as master volume.

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I don't think I have ever touched the volume and tone on my guitars in the forty+ years of playing guitar.
    They stay wide open.

:)

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I put in 1v/1t mostly..... in case anyone wants to use a tone knob.... I really only need a V knob...

watching blokes onstage constantly fiddling with knobs all the time during songs annoys the crap out of me...:rolleyes::lol:

4 knobs... forget it...:twisted:

11. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Attached Files:

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm pretty close to that too!

I have a Strat, Tele, Danelectro, and ( now, yay!) an SG, and all Tone controls are all the way UP 96% of the time! They just 'live' there. Maybe I don't hear high freq anymore?

But there's that 4% when I do need to back off, or blend a bit.

NoTeleBob likes this.
  13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It may be obvious, but the super switch can be swapped for a two-pole (aka 'half') super switch. Easier to fit in a Tele cavity.

14. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

I generally like to wire my instruments with four controls as volume, volume, master volume, master tone.

15. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

That is odd... what I see is a half of an tag and nothing else. More like a forum error than a browser error.

But it worked, thanks,

16. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

For those of us who tire of all the choices, get an Esquire, simplicity at it's best.

17. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Not fully independent, but you can blend in some nice tonalities! Neck pot on about 8 and bridge pot on about 10, there's a sweet sparkly tone there, and also full and rich! As I said in post #1.

18. DHart

Easy there, man. We sure don't want to give you a STROKE!

Stick with one volume pot, a selector switch for pickups and STOP THERE! :lol:

19. DHart

I was that way for decades myself.

Now, with multiple guitars to work with and playing in-studio only, I am really enjoying more varieties of tone! :) It's ALL good!

20. LeDocteur

LeDocteur Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

One volume total, one tone for each pickup here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.