1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson's dual control setup vs Fender's single vol/single tone pot

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DHart, Sep 20, 2020.

1. quadtele

quadtele TDPRI Member

Logically here's what I would want with four knobs (with two pickups)
    • Master volume
    • Mix control (adjusts amount of each pickup when in the middle position)
    • Separate tone control for each pickup
    Of course making the above work with (passive) electronics may not be not realistic.

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

You can do it, do a search for "blend pot center detent".

3. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I can use either, but I do miss the blend possibilities on a Strat/Tele/JM as compared to a Gibson 4 knob array. I have absolutely no problem negotiating the latter.

DHart likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This is just me 'eliminating variables'
    ( keeping things simple) on a gig:

* Note- when I have played my Epiphones ( with Gibson style control layout), as I'm mainly a Fender guitar player ( and used to the Fender controls and brighter tone)

I basically turn the 2 Epi Tone controls all the way up and leave there- possibly will back them off a bit, but 'home' position is cranked. So I just know where they are always set.
    I guess I always found the humbuckers ( even Gibson '57 Classics I have had installed) to be too dark or muddy unless I did this.
    But with both ' Gibson' pickups ON ( and Tone controls UP) I find you can get some nice treble/bass shading with those two Volume knobs, favoring one pickup, the other, or both!

- and of course each PU individually

* just how I work things, easily

DHart likes this.
  5. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I love my Tele.
    I also find the 2 volume 2 tone to be really useful, especially live.

DHart likes this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I'll be odd man out again. I have five electrics. Tone and volume, two volume and one tone two different ways, two volume and two tone, and master volume, individual volume controls that roll off treble faster than any other guitar I own with a mud switch to boot. I use my guitars for vocal accompaniment so there's not a lot of switching in the middle of a song but I do tweak the volume or tone controls occasionally. The fact is, that all of my guitars are different but I can use any of them for anything I play. It was more of a struggle before I got an equalizer. Now it's five guitars, four equalizer presets, and two amp channels. If I had to state a preference, it would be my FCS Strat, but not because of the controls. Because of the middle pickup and overall playability. I used to think that this, that, or the other thing would somehow be better. It got way better for me when I just learned to use what I already have.

DHart likes this.
  7. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I like that feature that you describe (although I am playing a D'Angelico guitar. It sounds particularly good in the middle position, which was not always true of my Gibsons or Ibanezes.). But the drawback for me is that when playing live, and it's time to turn up for a solo or turning back down afterward, I get confused about which volume knob I should be using. You could just chalk that up to early senility. In that regard, I miss my Tele.

DHart likes this.
  8. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I voted with my soldering iron on this one:
    2CDE9948-3A47-4192-B693-66037CD77900.jpeg
    I also rewired my 3-pickup Shergold Masquerader to have a 3-way switch and a push-pull pot rather than a 5-way: so all my electrics now have 3-way switch, master tone, master volume — and my mid-gig confusion possibilities are reduced.
    (One of my gig regulars is my Jazzmaster: although I don’t use it much I wouldn’t be without the rhythm circuit on that, but it has caught me out once...!)

djh22 and Asmith like this.
  9. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I like them both. Variety is the spice of life!

DHart, javiersson and JRapp like this.
  10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I run both my 335 & lester with both volumes at 100% and tones about 80% & rarely touch them. It's just...easier.

11. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I like them both, too. The versatility of Gibson's dual vol. controls is especially useful in practice and recording situations.

12. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

I started with one volume, one tone on my SG-200, but got seriously used to the individual on/off pickup switches. Still have the SG. It's taking me a bit to get used to the layout on my Gretsch - toggle, two volume, one tone, master volume - because it is more complicated than I need something to be at my age.

13. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Dozens of opinions here, I happen to like blending the neck and bridge pup but I also do that modification that allows you to turn one volume all the way off and not kill the second pickup.

14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I think this varies by player, style of music, and personal taste. I prefer the neck tones. I have to work to get a great sound from the Tele bridge PU.

I like simplicity of Fender’s design but the versatility of Gibson’s. As someone else posted, I’m not proficient and adjusting the vol/tone controls on the fly.

15. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I have 3 of the 4 @quadtele .... vol, single tone and pickup 'mix' with centre dent, I used a bournes blend pot that I found on ebay, and the wiring for that I found on the stewmac website. What you want is very possible as @Asmith says and it's not as complicated as you might think, I just wired the pickups to the blend pot first instead of a switch.

I did this because I don't like switches on guitars very much. :)

IMG_20200622_194438.jpg

Asmith likes this.
  16. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I love that pickguard shape, I haven't seen it before

Si G X likes this.
  17. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The thing I love about the Gibson model is that you can set your amp so that, with the neck pickup tone control full up, it’s crisp and clear as a bell. Very articulate. This, of course, makes the bridge pickup brighter; so you dial back that tone control to taste.

There are a few other tricks, but that one is my mainstay.

Jay Jernigan likes this.
  18. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Switchable "h o o p" writing on a Tele gets some of that midrange tweakability of a 4-knob setup while retaining the master volume control

19. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

My next (current) Tele build will have three knobs and no pickup Selector. I am planning to wire it like a jazz bass with two volumes and a master tone.

I have a Rickenbacker with separate volumes, and way back in the dark ages I had a LP with standard wiring. I confess that I found with the Rickenbacker that once I dialled it in I would usually use a volume pedal as a master control, though I would still vary the volume knobs as required.

With the current build I figure that if I really don’t like the control (or lack of it) that I have I will switch it to master volume knob, blend knob and tone knob

20. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

It's apples and oranges. I have blenders on my Strats for the neck/ bridge combinations, so I guess that's peaches, or something.
    Usually never touch the switch on a 4 knob. I wired up a couple with a master volume, individual pu volume and tone, but the individual volumes got muddy when turned down. Treble bleed didn't help them much so I changed them back.
    I like all the possibilities, I guess.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.