Gibson's dual control setup vs Fender's single vol/single tone pot

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DHart, Sep 20, 2020.

1. posttoastie

posttoastie Friend of Leo's

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I also prefer a simpler layout, I keep the volume at 10 set my amp so I can get a clean tone with my fingers but when I switch to my pick I can dig in and get as much drive as I want.

I can get a great tone just by tweaking the knobs on my amp and the tone knob so don't see much need for blending the pickups anymore than what the middle positions are already.

3. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I want @Peegoo to post a picture of his canoe-shaped guitar.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Look 2/5 down page 1 of this thread ;)

5. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

For me, the question has always been: Why is there a low-pass tone control? It seems like such a strange control to have on the guitar when it is on the amp and most likely on the pedals. Turning down the volume knob already provides some high-frequency attenuation for me and I feel like it's always more brightness that would actually be useful...

Have any of y'all ever looked into the history of the on-board tone control? Best as I can find, it was first utilized by Alvino Rey in his development of the ES-150.

Greggorios likes this.
  6. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

One of the things I love about my G&L ASATs is the range of tones I can obtain with the one volume and one tone control. I've never had much success with four knob setups, but then I haven't tried very many.

Cali Dude likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Long before I ever "came" to Telecasters, I realized I didn't like the infinite variation of tone on a typical Gibson with two volumes. I generally prefer the "tone" I get with the knobs set "equally"......if I need to change volume, I have to fumble around and adjust two knobs. Too much trouble for me.....so when I had two volume guitars, I always wired them as "One volume, one tone" and the other two knobs were just dummies. Even when I played Strats, I removed the knob closest to bridge (it was in the way) and made it master volume, master tone. I'm usually singing, stepping on pedals, giving band cues, and worrying about overall performance, so I need and want as simplistic a guitar as possible.
    If I were sitting in a studio and recording, I might want the variations possible with the four knob set-up, but playing "live"?......Keep It Simple Stupid.....(KISS)

djh22, AAT65 and Cali Dude like this.
  8. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I played the dual controls with my 330 and 335 for 15 years. I admit to fooling with the controls too much. In 1986 I got a single vol/tone Carvin, in 2013 a Telecaster.

I bought a1982 Carvin DC100 a few years ago. It has vol/tone for each PU, but they are not in the same positions as the way Gibson does it. I can not get used to it because the control I reach for as a treble vol is the neck PU volume. To play the DC100 I will have to reposition the controls.

The bottom line for me is, I want a master vol/tone. That is the configuration I have used since 1986.

9. javiersson

javiersson Tele-Meister

Here's a good explanation:

Treehouse and Collin D Plonker like this.
  10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One of these days I will end up with one of the Tele models with the 4-knob controls. I find that with the neck pickup I need to roll the tone all the way up, and with the bridge roll it halfway down. I would like to be able to set the tone and volume independently and then just flip the toggle switch, to go from rhythm to lead without adjusting every knob, and without pedals.

Cali Dude and Collin D Plonker like this.
  11. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

A guitar that gives the Two Knob Crew nightmares...

[​IMG]

NoTeleBob, Treehouse, MisterZ and 5 others like this.
  12. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I'm with you on that OP. I too love the simplicity of my Esquire, but when you have 2 pickups it's nice to be able to control them independently.

The typical Gretsch layout does really make sense to me: one volume for each pickup and one shared tone control to shape and fine tune your sound / then you've got the master volume to control your overall output.

Cali Dude likes this.
  13. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Well that's the paddle-shaped one that got me curious about the other!

14. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I've always been a Gibson setup kind of guy, but lately I have installed piezo bridges on my hollow bodies, with a tone knob position dedicated to piezo volume, giving me three volumes and a universal tone control. Typically, I run the neck pickup with the tone down to around 1/4 to 1/3 to get the fullness out of the minihums I have on these guitars, and then dial in the piezo for definition, chime and sparkle. If I need more bite, I just put the selector to mid position and turn up to desired sound.

My partscaster Tele has a Jazz Bass style control setup with individual volumes for neck and bridge and a single tone. The mid position gives up the sonic goodness, with tone turned down to 1/4, neck minihum turned up to 7-8, and the bridge turned up enough to bring in the sparkle. Since I play clean most of the time, these control schemes work for me. YMMV

Tele control panel. 20190306_182300.jpg

Wallaby likes this.
  15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I am a minimalist by nature , simplicity rules for me , the least amount of controls the better , least amount of pedals even bertter (lol) one amp little reverb ,
    I was never fond of fender's set up especially for strat , I reversed my telle control plate , too much fooling around with the gibson set up as well,
    Plug in turn on play all I need ,thats for playing
    for engineering a different story , I do what ever i can to make my guitar talk if I could, to blend into other instruments and can gizmo out ( but all within the context of the tune)

16. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Vol, blend.
    IMG_20200914_190303.jpg

Treehouse and Wallaby like this.
  17. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Gibson set up is not my favorite. I agree with folks that there are too many controls that are difficult to deal with while playing. While I love the Tele controls I really like the Gretsch set up. The master volume is a nice feature. I could dig a 335 with a master volume.

Cali Dude likes this.
  18. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I love it. I have a Les Paul and a Tele Deluxe-type guitar, and there's a definite advantage to tweaking the pots. Same with my Jazz Bass. On my regular Tele and Strat I don't think about it as much. That said, I have another guitar with on/off switches for each pickup, and it sounds good too. Long story short, I try to get the most from any guitar and enjoy it for what it is.

Cali Dude and Asmith like this.
  19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

The older I get, the more I'm drawn to
    2 pickups
    1 Pickup Selector Switch
    1 Volume Knob
    1 Tone Knob.

The absurd sound machine that is my Vox Starstream aside, I'm finding that less is more when it comes to my lugging a guitar to the stage for the performance. (The Starstream gets a pass, but only because it's so weird, wonderful, and unique.)

I wasn't aware of this bias against the classic Gibson (2 HB, P/U Sw, 2 Volume, 2 Tone) setup until I looked around recently and realized that I have spent the past year selling off everything I ever owned that featured that configuration.
    All the Les Pauls are gone. The jazzboxes with all those knobs, gone.

When playing a set with the band, I really only want to adjust the Volume Knob maybe once or twice as I go along, and if I planned everything really well rolling into each next song, the Tone Knob really doesn't need fiddling with again until the next one.

:)

Yamaha 120SD2.jpg

djh22 and Bob M like this.
  20. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

On my Gibby types, The neck tone usually stays on 2 with the volume on 8 for that perfect blues tone and the bridge is usually 8 on both volume/tone. One guitar has tone circuit bypass that's used a lot, but it still has the option if wanted.

The master volume/master tone 2 control guitars or just volume only are good too, but limits your choices.
    I'd rather have the choice and not need it than need it and not have it.
    You may never need all the choices, but sometime you may want it and I don't see why it's confusing to some, but they have no problem with a bunch of pedals on a pedalboard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.