Gibson's amazing electrostatic finishing process

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Jul 15, 2020.

1. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

2. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

I don't have instagram but was able to view the video. Interesting.

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Ok, it just goes to show you how much I understand social media platforms, lol

4. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

Dude. Many years ago (now), as a young technically non-savvy individual, I was on a production line manually spray painting metal stuff. I was every minute or so getting ZAPPED, pretty good. For weeks! Eventually, someone explained grounding, and “hooked me up”.
    It’s funny. The biz I work for now practically bubblewraps new hires when they onboard, and C**** on top of it.

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

It's an efficient process that reduces overspray and wasted paint. The process was developed in WWII and has been in widespread use since then. It's used for cars, metal furniture, most any painted product, etc.

ale.istotle likes this.
  6. Little Red Tele

Little Red Tele Tele-Meister

I wonder if this is why the one gibson guitar I bought and quickly sold had such massive static electricity issues

7. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

One of my first jobs was at a teflon lining & coating shop. Used electrostatic powder coating which I found magical.

carpenter likes this.
  8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

No. The guitar doesn't hold an electric charge from the electrostatic coating process and the guitar's characteristics aren't altered by the process. There is no relationship between the electrostatic coating process and static electricity accumulation in a guitar.

9. Little Red Tele

Little Red Tele Tele-Meister

Well, something made that instrument crackle like a polyester pair of socks fresh from the dryer. Really annoying.

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Typically it's all the plastics and it's a big PITA. The old school cure is to rub them with a fabric softener dryer sheet, periodically, to neutralize the static charge. It usually works.

Speedy454 and gregulator450 like this.
  11. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

The dryer sheet on the batwing pickguard of my SG Special fixed all the crackling noises I was getting. Wiped it down a year ago and haven't had any static noise since.

Speedy454 likes this.
  12. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

A long time ago (when office furniture was expensive and I was a budding Properties Manager) I hired a painter who specialized in electrostatic painting for an "overhaul" of our corporate headquarters. He electrostatically applied satin epoxy paint to all the random colored desks and file cabinets, spraying them on an 8x8 drop cloth right in the office with no overspray. I also had him do the toilet partitions and even the hideous 60's era ceramic tile walls in the bathroom in high-gloss epoxy paint, also electrostatically applied. The cabinets looked as-new and the tiles just like glazed ceramic tile. With the electrostatic sprayer, the paint could applied so thin the grout lines were still grout textured.

13. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

That must have come along for Gibson post late 1990's or early 2000's. Painting gold tops in
    back in that era was laborious process. They may still do gold tops in an empty room due to
    the mist hanging in the air.

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just like Powder Coating.
    Good call for Gibson.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.