1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Mind Flayer, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

I have a faded SG and am replacing the stock pickups with Duncan 59s.

While I'm at it, I figured I might modify the control setup. I miss having a master volume control, but I also would like to keep the ability to have individual volume control over the bridge and neck pickups. Also, I never, ever use the neck tone pot (I sometimes use the tone pot on the bridge).

So, what I was thinking of was wiring it so that the four knobs function as follows: (1) bridge volume; (2) neck volume; (3) master volume; and (4) bridge tone.

Is this possible? I don't really know what would happen if I had, say, the individual bridge volume at 4 and the individual neck volume at 7, and then started turning the master volume knob down, but I'm not so concerned about that. I'd be happy as long as the master volume worked like it normally does when the individual volume knobs are both at 10.

I probably won't be doing this mod myself - I always seem to have problems soldering with gibson 3-way switches, so I'll probably take it to my tech, but just wanted to know if this is something is possible.

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, it it possible.

If your tech is unfamiliar with how to wire it up, have 'em take a look at a few Gretsch hollowbody wiring schemes; these incorporate a master volume in the circuit.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Here's an example from a Gretsch Jet:

[​IMG]

SAguitar, warrent and Telekarster like this.
  4. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Awesome! This is why I love TDPRI! Ya'll are on top of it! I just rewired my 56 Goldtop RI back to 1956. Bought it used and someone had done some right goofy stuff in there, so I put it back right. Had to do a complete rewire, including pot replacement. Never worked with Gibby braided wire before, but once I got the hang of it, it wasn't too bad. She now has that 50's tone again.

5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Yeah, you basically want a Gretsch-style set-up, though I'm curious as to how you'd achieve a tone control only on the bridge pickup. But I'm sure it's possible somehow.

6. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Just move the tone control to the bridge volume pot instead of the master volume pot.

7. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

Thanks -- very helpful!

8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

So bridge pickup --> bridge volume --> tone control --> switch --> (everything else normal)?

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Also note that there are two ways to wire the neck and bridge volumes, on the center lug or the outer. If you want independent volumes, the pickup hot lead should be routed to the center lug.

10. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

That should work.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.