Gibson to change Epiphone Headstock Shape

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JayFreddy, mkdaws32 and FenderGyrl like this.
  2. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I believe in Japan the headstock is not considered a trademark like it is in the US.

So if Edwards, etc., are going to use the open book, Epi better too.

3. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

What was it Mike Ehrmentraut said about "half measures?"

It will be an improvement, I would guess, but they should just make the open book standard. I think Fender has had great success with using the same for it's cheaper import line, and lots of people still want to upgrade* from Squiers to Fenders.

* though the difference seems to narrow more and more all the time...

4. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

This is kinda sad - I never noticed the Epi and Gibson headstocks were different - not really a Gibson kind of guy...

5. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

So this new headstock is going to add how much to the asking price - 200? 300?

Jonzilla likes this.
  6. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

More!!!

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  7. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Epiphone headstocks on Gibson designs pains me.

I would have no issue picking up a new offshore guitar if they made this change.

8barlouie and studio1087 like this.
  8. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

As much as I'd like to believe it, those companies find it impossible to round up investors.

As others have noted, it's clear Gibson is concerned about the hits it's taking from copycat guitars. I suspect most North American buyers would gladly snap up an Epiphone instead of ordering a Chibson from AliBaba if it had a Gibson-shaped headstock. This move could also knock some of the legs out of the used Epiphone market. Some of the biggest competition for a brand like Gibson or Fender (or Epiphone or Squier) comes from its own instruments on the used market.

GuitarKid likes this.
  9. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

And a lot of wasted wood, always thought they were way too big. I like the new.

10. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Any chance my older Dot will skyrocket in value? o_O

11. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

Imagine this headline... Gibson to lower their prices!

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  12. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

lol: oh .....:rolleyes:.... of course of course, sure, it could happen.

Luthi3rz likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When no more Muricans are willing to pay Muricans to make Murican stuff, Murican companies will have to farm out manufacturing to China. Seen that one coming?

That'll make 'em cheaper fer sure!

14. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

If they make it just like the Gibson headstock, that would be great, but that exaggerated open book design is almost as bad as the current Epiphone one. If they really want to get nuts and sell a lot of guitars, do what Fender does, same headstock on all lines, continue to brand the Asian made ones as Epiphones and have a Mexican made or other higher quality foreign made ones branded "Gibson" and then the highest level ones would still be American Made Gibsons.

15. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Oh snap ...I was hoping for the “ bat wing “ on everything..

I kinda wish they would dump the whole Epi thing except for limited domestic runs of the few designs that are best known as Epiphones.. price them a bit under the Gibson equivalent and you could create a nice little buzz..

For a budget line I think they gave up on US Gibson production too soon, I liked all those fun little feather rustlers they did over the last few years... eh some mistakes were made, NBD the Kalamazoo crew goofed up the first gen LP, they fixed it and moved forward, Nashville should do the same. You could even tie it in with the above, something like a single PU Cornet W/ a double slug & flat body for $399 street would cover a lot of ground.

With the current economic situation they could probably do well licensing the body shapes to second tier offshore makers, on a per piece royalty and avoid the hassle of shipping/ importing more of the same.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  16. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I like Epiphone guitars and I have a bunch. They encompass a range of different headstock shapes.

The headstock shape on my Flamekat is different from my Crestwood, which is different from that on my Wilshire, which is 6 inline, aka the "bat wing".

My Epi Nighthawk, Lesters, SGs, 339s, and 335 all have variations of the "notched canoe paddle" design, and I have grown accustomed to that one too.

I agree with @Bones that the exaggerated open book headstock is actually worse than the "notched canoe paddle".

I welcome innovation and new ideas, but I hope Gibson doesn't screw up their tried and true Epiphone products just for the sake of vanity...

We used to be able to blame that sort of thing on Henry! In retrospect, maybe it wasn't all Henry's fault...

Hopefully it will be a good thing. I will withhold judgment until the new variations are available and I can play a few.

17. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

In the end you'll still have an Epiphone. Nothing wrong with that. Great instruments mostly and a more affordable option.

18. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

I always thought the Epi LP headstock shape looks just like the Gibbo one, but with the corners chewed off.

I prefer the shape they use on the Epi Dot models - I think that actually looks nicer than the one Gibbo use for the 335 (and nearly everything else) since the slightly elongated shape suits the larger dimensions of the Dot.

I digress slightly though - totally, lose the chewed-corners look. :)

19. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Would it make sense to change the header stock angle at the same time?

cyclopean likes this.
  20. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I may actually buy an Epi Les Paul if they changed the headstock to the classic Gibson headstock. Epi's are great guitars I just hate the way the headstock looks. Has nothing to do with the name on it either, just the shape. An open book headstock with Epiphone written on it would be just fine in my books.

Uncle Daddy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.