Gibson/Tele Dysphoria

Twangthang

Tele-Meister
Might be going a long way here, but I am like that guy who has a 10 second memory.
Put a Tele in my hands and I will say it is the greatest guitar in the world. Take that one away and give me a Les Paul and I will say the same.
I think both are capable if getting some amazing tones, both different.
I have tried the Les Caster thing and it although it sort of worked, but I prefer what the long scale brings to single coils and the shorter scale brings to humbuckers. If that makes any sense at all.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
My mix n' match dealie:
20220807_112235.jpg

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Have both… and possibly combine them.

I’ve got four Gibsons and probably six Telecasters, but I recently built a “TelePaul” (photo below) for kicks.

Gibson ‘57 Classic Plus pickup in the bridge. It sounds closer to my Les Pauls than it does to any of my Teles, but it combines the longer Fender scale length and feel with a Gibson humbucker sound.

It can’t twang like my other Teles, but it definitely rocks.

View attachment 1018395
Woa!!

What are those tuners? Are they split shaft with tulip tips!?

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Tele that didn’t get much love for a while. Then I started playing blues more and more and put heavy bottom light top 10s on it. I can easily mute strings and bash away on it slow and sloppy and it sounds awesome.

I can’t do that on my Les Paul or even my Silver Sky, too much sympathetic vibration, harmonics and noise. I was thinking about selling my Tele but I’ve found the perfect use for it.

Special use is better than no use…

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
A nice thing about a light-bulb moment is you can let go of useless baggage, preconceived notions, and received wisdom that's not very wise.

Congratulations on enjoying another flavor! Be free!

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I have over 15 guitars (electrics, acoustics, acoustic/electrics, basses and a resonator)

None of them have the same specs or pickups or even exact same shape…and I did this by design.

Sometimes Guitar X fits the song or the band or the set better than Guitar Y…and sometimes Guitar Z is better than either of them. It’s no reason to reject any of them permanently.

danielreid27

Tele-Afflicted
My first "real" guitar was 1978 Gibson "The Paul." I still have it. It's an odd bird - walnut body and neck, ebony fretboard, thinner body - it is a no-frills budget Les Paul. It currently has Alnico 2 humbuckers because I stupidly threw the original pickups in the trash in the 90s.

For the last 25 years I've been a Tele guy and so the Paul rarely gets played. As a rule I don't like humbuckers. I kept the Paul mostly because of its sentimental value.

Last night my band practiced and just for kicks I left my Teles home and took the Paul. It was my first time playing the Paul through my Quilter Mach 3. We play garden variety classic rock. Both of my bandmates said that the Paul sounded better than my Teles usually do. I have to admit, it sounded and felt really good. Bigger than a Tele, but not muddy.

Now I'm having a bit of an identity crisis. Am I really a Tele guy? Do I need to put humbuckers in my Teles? Do I need to buy a Tele with humbuckers? Should I sell my Teles and buy (gulp) Les Pauls? IS MY WHOLE LIFE A LIE?????

Please help.
Dysphoria is a state of generalized unhappiness, restlessness, dissatisfaction, or frustration