Gibson/Tele Dysphoria

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I don't see this as an either/or situation.
I see myself as a guitar player that happens to like Teles, not just a Tele player.
I do plan on more Strats, more Gibsons and of course more Teles šŸ‘

20211001_233545482_iOS.jpg 20220701_181658281_iOS.jpg

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
My first "real" guitar was 1978 Gibson "The Paul." I still have it. It's an odd bird - walnut body and neck, ebony fretboard, thinner body - it is a no-frills budget Les Paul. It currently has Alnico 2 humbuckers because I stupidly threw the original pickups in the trash in the 90s.

For the last 25 years I've been a Tele guy and so the Paul rarely gets played. As a rule I don't like humbuckers. I kept the Paul mostlyYou are w because of its sentimental value.

Last night my band practiced and just for kicks I left my Teles home and took the Paul. It was my first time playing the Paul through my Quilter Mach 3. We play garden variety classic rock. Both of my bandmates said that the Paul sounded better than my Teles usually do. I have to admit, it sounded and felt really good. Bigger than a Tele, but not muddy.

Now I'm having a bit of an identity crisis. Am I really a Tele guy? Do I need to put humbuckers in my Teles? Do I need to buy a Tele with humbuckers? Should I sell my Teles and buy (gulp) Les Pauls? IS MY WHOLE LIFE A LIE?????

Please help.
Switching guitars is a good idea. Variety is important. Be grateful youā€™re in a band that can tell the difference.
P.S. Donā€˜t violate the Tele by putting ā€˜buckers in it. You already have a Paul.
B58EA65A-B28D-4DE0-90F4-AC48AAF7B3FC.jpeg

Lef T

Tele-Afflicted
For a lot of years played a 335.
I started drifting over to Strats and Teles.
For me now, the Tele is the winner.
I can say the Tele is the one I'll keep playing till I can't play anymore.

Last edited:

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
My first "real" guitar was 1978 Gibson "The Paul." I still have it. It's an odd bird - walnut body and neck, ebony fretboard, thinner body - it is a no-frills budget Les Paul. It currently has Alnico 2 humbuckers because I stupidly threw the original pickups in the trash in the 90s.

For the last 25 years I've been a Tele guy and so the Paul rarely gets played. As a rule I don't like humbuckers. I kept the Paul mostly because of its sentimental value.

Last night my band practiced and just for kicks I left my Teles home and took the Paul. It was my first time playing the Paul through my Quilter Mach 3. We play garden variety classic rock. Both of my bandmates said that the Paul sounded better than my Teles usually do. I have to admit, it sounded and felt really good. Bigger than a Tele, but not muddy.

Now I'm having a bit of an identity crisis. Am I really a Tele guy? Do I need to put humbuckers in my Teles? Do I need to buy a Tele with humbuckers? Should I sell my Teles and buy (gulp) Les Pauls? IS MY WHOLE LIFE A LIE?????

Please help.
This is why itā€™s good to shake it up, and do this . Just play them both .

PARCO

Tele-Holic
Personally I prefer P90's to humbuckers. After many years playing a Tele, the shorter scale of a Les Paul is a bit of a problem for me. So a Tele with P90's should just about do it.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I played a few of those "The Pauls" back in the day. I thought they were pretty decent although not a favorite of Les Paul purists. That was back in the Norlin era of Gibson. There were definitely some "weird" guitars that came out then. I think they were trying to reinvent the company back then and try out some new stuff. Not all of it was bad though.

As far as your predicament goes, there is absolutely enough room for booth your Tele and Gibson to be in the tool bin. Don't take the bait on trying to get a Telecaster with humbuckers unless you just really like that combo. Both guitars are different designs with different goals. Both are great! I switch up guitars all the time depending on what I am doing. Don't get pigeonholed into one classification or another. Variety is the spice of life!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Sounds like it's your Telecasters' turn to gather dust for a while.
Now for a curve ball:
Have you tried a Les Paul Special with P90s?
This Indonesian Hamer Special (under $500 new) is now my Number One:

1664468900149.png

Lightweight Korina body.
Ebony fretboard.
2 fantastic P90s.

It's a joy to play and now my Telecasters are lonely lots of the time.