Gibson Studio/50’s Tribute Consensus

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by dreamingtele, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Wine Red and Gold for popularity, and resale. Why not grab the Gold, and celebrate your first Gibby!

Omiewise65 likes this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Grab the gold, baby!

Omiewise65 likes this.
  3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

For a forum for telecaster lovers, I love the responses here!!

I'm going to wait to get a gold with P90's.. or whatever just pops up that has P90's!!

You guys are the best enablers in the world! LOL

but honestly, Im now appreciating the beauty of the body shape.. hopefully it plays just as good.. I'm playing 11's on all my guitars.. I may see a difference in feel because of the scale length, but Id be happy to go heavier gauge on it just to try it out!

gwjensen likes this.
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Not all HB's are muddy and dark. Burstbuckers are low output and bright toned(think Gary Moore). Other humbucking pickups to consider would be Filtertrons or minibuckers that are often referred to as the quiet single coil pickups by oldtimers because they have a single coil tone to them with the HB benefits.
    If the HB equipped LP you get doesn't give the tone you like you can do a few things before changing pickups. If the pickups are 4-wire types, you can wire them in parallel for a brighter single coil tone. The screw poles can be removed from a humbucker giving more of a brighter humbucker tone, but also a bit lower output. Another thing to try is a inline filter cap that filters out some bass frequency and you can also try 1meg pots or lower value tone caps for brighter tone. A good pickup adjustment with high treble side and low bass side can help too(no one will notice the angle of the pickup unless they're close up).
    Try it first, adjust the heights second, wiring mods third and pickup swaps last. May sound like a lot to go through, but single coils can be just as difficult sometimes.

5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

I played one in a local-ish shop last week. I wanted to trade some stuff on it but it was a commission sale and therefore cash only otherwise I would've got it there and then.

6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

8trackmind and beyer160 like this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Another one to check is the 2013/14 LPJ - for 'junior'. Uncovered 496/498 IIRC.

Chunky 50s neck, carve top. Seriously cheap.

There were gold, white, white, cherry and black ones. Great guitars.

Omiewise65 likes this.
  8. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Probably not on your radar but I wouldn't totally discount Epiphone. They do a '56 standard pro' which has p90s and a big 50s neck. The Goldtops are a bit harder to come by as I think they were a limited run. But if you can track one down it's worth checking out. I think you can buy it new in other colours but hey, it needs to be gold really so used is the only option. It's the Chinese model not the older Korean '56 Goldtop'. (Also meant to be nice although I've not played one)

I have one and it's genuinely a glorious guitar. The neck position p90 is the nicest I've ever heard... I also own a Gibson Les Paul Special, which is a better guitar, but considering the price difference not *that* much better, and I still prefer the neck pickup on the Epi!
    It's about 9lb, so heavy but not stupidly so. Mine punches far above it's weight... Although to be fair is had a fret level/crown/dress and polish to get it there, which the Gibson didn't need[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bristlehound likes this.
  9. GibSG

GibSG TDPRI Member

I bought a 2017 Les Paul Tribute, this guitar is a pure Gibson, very good quality/price ratio.
    I made some cool upgrades and a body binding ,

[​IMG]

10. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

There's a 2015 Gibson 60's Tribute LP I saw in a pawnshop yesterday for $475.

I could probably get them down to $400 or so.

For this type of money, it's a big bang for the buck.

I was SO tempted,but I've really go my eye on something else, and I need to save the cash.

[​IMG]

Dan R, teletimetx and gwjensen like this.
  11. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I think that’s a 16. Looks exactly like my 16. Great guitar.

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  12. dreamingtele

I’ve been searching high and low guys, nothing.

ive found a 60’s tribute, but not in the color I want at least.

ive also found a 50’s tribute gold top but HB’s. I figured if Im gonna spend that much already, id rather have what I want specifically. Gold top with p90’s.

and here I thought Finding the right gibson is easier as its more popular here in marketplace, the ratio is around Gibson 10:7 Fender

13. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

That's a great price for a Gibson!

Omiewise65 and Texsunburst59 like this.
  14. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I definitely agree that a good Les Paul is a thing of beauty. As much as my tele is my go-to instrument, I must admit that a Les Paul is just nicer to look at.

For me, the most difficult part about feeling completely comfortable with a Les Paul is the control layout. Too many knobs. I might change it someday, but not for now.
    The sound of two humbuckers was something I got along with just fine. As someone already mentioned, a good PAF style humbucker shouldn't be muddy. Some have even described them as a tele on steriods. Although they won't be as bright as a tele, they have their own special airyness and treble going on.

Good luck finding what you want!

15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The original run of 50s Tributes with P-90s didn’t last long before they went to HBs. 2010-2011??? I tried to order one after they were discontinued, but no go. After that, I still don’t understand the tribute models with the 50s having HBs and the 60s having P-90s. Easily the best bang/buck LPs.

gwjensen likes this.
  16. dreamingtele

there’s quite a few on Ebay, and from Japan. Decent price, but its black.

i dont mind the black, but I’m afraid i will sell it in the long run as its not really what I want.

17. dreamingtele

im really tempted to jump on the 2016 Goldtop with Hb’s near me, but i just want to hold out for as long as I can and hope a goldtop with p90’s will surface

18. mabinogeon

mabinogeon TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have a '50s Tribute SG with the P90s and it's one of my favorite guitar. Way better than the LP Studio I used to have.

19. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

I sold my Gold Top Tribute with humbuckers. The guitar was wonderful, and came set up spot-on. I just don't like humbuckers, and that guitar just confirmed my suspicions. I got a Godin with P90's, and I don't miss the Gibson at all.
    I even have 3 Les Pauls with HB's in my workshop that got fretwork done, played all 3, and I have zero interest in them. Eye candy, though!

20. dreamingtele

there’s also a Les paul DC with single p90. Super tempted on that one too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.