Gibson signature guitars based on the ES 335.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Inspired by the thread about the new Gibson Dave Growl signature I'll start a thread about other signature guitars based on the 335 design.

The Trini Lopez signature model came in two versions: the Custom and the standard. Both being entirely different guitars. Prior to getting his own model, Lopez played a Gibson Barney Kessel double cutaway full body semi and a Fender Stratocaster, so when he was approached by Gibson he basically told them "Make me a Barney Kessel with a Fender stratocaster neck" He got the next best thing instead because they couldn't copy the headstock shape of one of their main competitors. Also in Lopez' request the normal F-holes were replaced by diamond shaped soundholes and he's still using that deep body model live.

Trini Lopez using his model live.

The standard Trini Lopez model was basically an ES 335 but with diamond shaped sound holes and a Firebird neck. The funny thing is that Trini Lopez himself NEVER played the standard model, preferring the deep body custom.
    [​IMG]

I guess the second best known signature Gibson based on the ES 335 is the Gibson "Lucille" BB King signature.
    [​IMG]

The Lucille is based on Gibson's ES 355 with which it shares its ornate looks, ebony fingerboard, varitone switch and stereo feature. It differs from the ES 355 by not having a Vibrato and not having F-holes. It is however one of the classiest looking Gibsons around though.

Far less Classy was the Gibson Tom Delonge signature model

Blink 182 live, Tom Delonge is using his Gibson Model.

Blink 182 was the band with the odd looking signature models. Bassplayer Mark Hoppus has a Fender signature model which marries the body of a Jazz bass with the neck and pickup of a Precision bass. Delonge's Gibson signature is simplicity itself: just a Gibson "Dirty Fingers" humbucker and a single master volume.
    [​IMG]

But the best selling Signature model based on the ES 335 came from Gibson's daughter brand.
    [​IMG]
    Oasis leading man Noel Gallagher made big waves with his band using a Japanese made Epiphone Riviera in his hand. When he was approached by Gibson for a signature Epiphone branded guitar he had it based on that Japanese guitar with which it shares the full humbuckers (rather than the mini humbuckers that came standard with a stock Riviera) and the pearl pickguard. It came in "Manchester united blue" and was used live as such by Gallagher. The guitar was named "The Supernova" and is one of the best bargain buys you can get when looking for an affordable ES-styled guitar

Around that same time Gallagher recieved a Gibson Custom shop Riviera with a Union Jack graphic which was also used to great effect. As a reply, Epiphone issued a Union Jack model which actually differed a lot from the original Supernova. They were basically Epiphone sheraton models with a different body shape and different neck inlays. Nevertheless they sold like hot cakes.

Oasis "Live forever"
    Noel plays his custom shop Epiphone Union Jack in this performance

2. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

3. TexGoneNW

TexGoneNW Tele-Afflicted

How about the Les Paul Signature?

You don't see many of 'em, but I've sure liked the ones I've played.

Epiphone made a version of it, too.

4. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

I'd say the bb king is the most well known of all.

5. Blazer

6. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I don't think they really count in this thread, but they were kind of cool guitars. I have no idea why they called it a Les Paul Signature. AFAIK, Mr. Paul never played one.

I had the Epi version for a while and I liked it, but it wasn't quite what I wanted so I eventually sold it. If the neck joint were contructed like a 335 I probably would have kept it, but the joint is at the 15th fret and I just didn't like that.

The originals, like many 70s models, had some definite oddities about the construction, but were still really cool.

[​IMG]

7. Seanycaster

Seanycaster Tele-Holic

Manchester City blue. Small but crucial detail.

8. Blazer

Oops, sorry about that.

Anyway, here's both the supernova and the Union Jack, look at how different the guitars look from each other.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Noel Gallagher playing his custom shop Union Jack.

9. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I've always liked that Supernova.

10. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

sorry, but i hadn't noticed that part......my bad.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.