Gibson SGs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Oct 12, 2019 at 1:48 PM.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I picked one up this week for the heck of it. The neck seems way different/longer than any guitar I've played before. It seems way longer than any but you can get to all the high frets pretty easily. Kind of hard to figure out where the chords/notes are.

bcorig and NewKid like this.
  2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You do get used to it very quickly, but for the first few hours, it's a case of look for the markers, or you'll be three frets higher than you thought you were!.

After a time, you come to appreciate the ease of the neck, and realise how uncomfortable and cramped the original Les Paul is in comparison.

btw, pics?

3. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I just saw it a store. Might get one though.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

They are making SG’s so affordable in both the Gibson and Epiphone lines that we all probably will own one soon enough.
    They do indeed look as though they are awkward to play, but none of the players say so.
    They are beginning to tempt me, gotta admit it.

Hiker likes this.
  5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I’ve owed a couple SG’s and had a really nice 1973 Cherry Wine Standard with a pretty thick neck. The the longer neck was different and not for me.

I love the SG look but I realized that I’m primarily a Les Paul guy.

ping-ping-clicka and Greggorios like this.
  6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Neck seems so long because the is so much blank space behind the bridge. Was just noticing that myself.

7. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

I was seriously looking at SG's because I wanted something different, easy to play, comfortable.

The I bought another Telecaster.... sigh. It's not exactly a bad thing, but I still want an SG.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Love my SG. Got the faded series from a friend for a song. Swapped out the pickups for PGs and it sings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greggorios likes this.
  9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have Epiphone's G-400 1966 Pro in ebony. It really is a nice guitar. Plays easily and sounds great.

Hiker likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

SG feels like you are playing to the left of yourself. Bridge location relative to the strap pins and thigh cut. 335 is the same left sided. Jazzmaster is next back toward center. Les Paul is nearly centered. Tele is centered. Strat is toward the right side of yourself, but not so far as the SG is to the left -- my shoulder gets sore thinking about playing cowboy chords on one, lol.

If an SG is going to be a fun diversion for you and not your main guitar ... I'd just find an Epiphone G-400 SG used. One of those great guitar value options. You also don't need to worry about the breakaway headstock anxiety like you do with a Gibson. I have both and the Epiphone is the one that gets played (it's fun and sounds great). If you're worried about the Gibson tone then buy a used Epi and used Gibson pickups+pots and swap those into the Epi. I also see a lot of threads where people buy the Gibson and then pull the Gibson pickups to put in SDs. I just see that as chasing mud but some like a 'warm' guitar tone.

11. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

Oh man, an SG is the only Gibson I would consider owning. The SG Standard is $1500 new so it’s right in the American Professional Tele ballpark in terms of cost. I would look for an excellent used one in the $1000 range. One day.

12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I need to start playing my '71 SG Pro more often.

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 2.44.51 PM.png

Fergyuk, rze99, Bill and 8 others like this.
  13. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I played one a few years ago and the fretboard seemed too flat. The one I tried the other day was better.

14. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

SG necks are not longer. Its the location of the body waist compared to others.

15. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I love Gibson SGs.

I own two 1998 SG Deluxes (with the three min-humbuckers), a 1979 cherry wine SG standard, a plum purple SG Special in which I swapped out the standard 490R/T pickups for a set of single coil P94s and another SG Special in the cherry wine finish in which I left the stock Gibson 490R/T pickups. I also have an Epiphone Korina G400 in which I swapped out the stock pickups for Harmonic Design Z90s.

The SG Deluxes are darker sounding - almost like a Les Paul. The SG Specials are brighter. The Special with the P94s gets you near that P90 tone, but still has its own mojo going. The Standard is a very nice middle ground.

No Les Pauls in my collection. When it comes to Gibsons, it is all SGs for me.

I'd love a 335, but then I'd have to sell some SGs!

Pasta Player and JL_LI like this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like SG’s and had use of a ‘69 SG special just like Carlos at Woodstock for a couple years.
    Went into motor city guitar six months ago and saw the Gretsch SG - a.k.a. the Corvette and grabbed that . Was not on my radar at all.

Great guitar, very light, Bigsby, nice full neck, super cheap used. Pickups right between P90’s and a humbucker sound though a they are a Filtertron variant.

There is a recent SG with P90’s that supposedly has a huge neck that I wouldn’t mind checking out

Pasta Player likes this.
  17. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have an SG, a Tele, Strat, and Gretsch Anniversary as well as a Simon and Patrick acoustic. They all sit differently in my lap. There are different combinations of scale length, fretboard radius, width and thickness in the necks. When I put one down that I've been using for a week, whatever I pick up feels a little awkward at first but I'm settled in after 15 minutes or so. The SG is a little darker than the other electrics, even with the pickups set low and the pole pieces raised but I'm good with that. I like the variety. If you're looking for an SG and have never had one before, don't rush to judgment and take any advice offered lightly. Play them to find what you like and don't like and after you've been playing them for a while, one will begin to sound and feel better than the others. And realize going in that your opinion will be influenced by aesthetics as much as sound and feel. I like the bat wing guard and a high gloss cherry finish. I prefer dots to blocks. SG's are kind of like women. When you love the looks, falling in love with the rest is pretty easy.

Pasta Player and NewKid like this.
  18. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I've had several SGs but I've given up on them now.

Pros are the comfort and playability with the full neck access. They tend to be light too.

Cons, to me, are the midrangy honk on the neck pickup most have. I went thru loads of pickups and even compared the same pickups on different SGs, LPs and es335s and I found a sort of unpleasant midrange quality on all my SGs that annoyed me in a band setting. Bridge pickups were generally OK though.

Some can be balanced on the strap and comfortable but lots of them neck dive. I'd rather a balanced heavy guitar than a light one with neck dive, which after an hour or 2 is actually worse on my back and neck, in my experience.

But my biggest gripe is the tuning. I'm good at setting up guitars and I've gigged a lot and several times at a gig I've had to put away an SG and get my backup Tele or whatever because I couldn't keep the SG tuned somehow. Especially the G string. It's like the neck bends or something with temperature changes. Perhaps it's that neck/body join?
    Maybe I've been unlucky but 4 SGs over the years have done this during pub gigs.

NewKid and Old Deaf Roadie like this.
  19. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I had an SG with tuning issues. I ended up putting a locking nut from some long forgotten trem system & a Gibson fine-tune tailpiece, which cured the tuning problems.

Pasta Player and TG like this.
  20. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

Gibby nuts, all tight on the G string

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.