1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson Robot Guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by '51 geezer, Feb 6, 2020.

1. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

I wasn't sure which forum to ask this question in, so, I'll try here. I hope I'm not breaching Protocol.

Are the Gibson Robot Guitars considered a failure?

If so, why?

Who has had a good or bad experience with one/some?

To be honest. it looked like a good idea to me. I can't enjoy the Les Paul. I don't like the way they play and the weight. I DO respect the instrument, just cannot enjoy them. So what is the "real deal" on the robots?

2. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    The average customer didn't want to take the time to read the instruction manual which is very thorough. So, many people couldn't figure them out and bashed the system all over the internet. Gibson decided their product was too complicated for the average consumer and discontinued it.
    IT is a great system if you understand how to use it.

This thread will end up being a Gibson hatefest.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

If it doesn't look like a '59 LP or 60's SG, most people here are going to hate it. Gibson is always lambasted for trying new stuff. I bet 99.9% of the respondents that disliked it never played one or saw one in person, myself included. Just like automobiles that find out they have parts that need re-engineering, guitars are no different when they get that complicated.

4. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I have found this to be true for almost everything. (Guns, Cars, Electronics, etc)

One of a websites "Cool Kids" bad mouths something and everyone jumps on the band wagon even though they've never been in the same zip code as one.

5. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

I had two Gibsons with G-Force tuners and never really had a problem with them. There is definitely a learning curve to use them properly. Gibson had a 25 or 30 page manual you could download to learn all the nuances. Internet naysayers, who had probably never even seen one, helped to kill them, like most other things that require any learning.

7171551 likes this.
  6. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

Are they going cheap in the 2nd hand market?

7. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I haven’t had any problems with mine.

3-Chord-Genius and 7171551 like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Many people found that by purchasing a regular set of tuners, removing the auto tuner system, they had a fantastic guitar.

Biggest problem was "how dare you change my 50s LP!"

Which is the reason I have stopped buying any Gibson model... I decided I do not want to continue to endorse the fragile headstock design and all the drama that entails. Gibson knows how to strengthen the necks, they do it every day with Epiphone models, but choose to make it like the 50s. Partly out of fear of lashback, partly they may see that as a 'forced obsolescence' feature that causes many players to blame themselves for being careless and buy a brand new guitar.

Fixes they can do: lower headstock angle, scarf joint, volute, smaller truss rod system so more wood in the neck, maybe a heel style wheel so no wood is removed from the neck, possibly other methods.

There is a poll running this week at TGP about "should Gibson fix the weak headstock design" and last I looked it was around 60% voted for a fix and 40% to keep it the same as always. That is a majority who are buying brands other than Gibson like PRS. PRS uses a scarf joint in the SE and S2 lines, they use lower headstock angle in all of them (plus straight string pull and less tuning problems than LP is plagued with but that's a separate issue).

When corporate marketing teams are high fiving each other for half a percent improvement in sales -- so that change can have a huge positive impact on their profitability. Gibson will need to sell the change though, have all their famous players switch over, do 'Timex' type of youtube demos, skiing off a cliff with one on their back, and more. Fender advertised with a 300lb factory worker standing on a Tele neck back in the 50s/60s. Kieth Richards beat off a stage rusher with a Tele and kept playing in tune afterward.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  9. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

John Knowles, Nashville resident, fingerstyle teacher, CGP and good guy, told me during a class:
    "Deeve, there are no wrong notes; there Are Better Choices, though..."

drf64 likes this.
  10. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

Not a big Gibson fan to start with. Auto tuners, hell no.

Switchy likes this.
  11. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Me too, because of their recent business practices which have more to do with quality control and customer service.
    The Gibson guitar gene pool has been tained with thousands upon thousands of poorly QC'd guitars, and now paying a premium price is no guarantee whatsoever that you will get a non-defective guitar. Worst accounts are about returning a defective guitar to Gibson, only to get a different guitar with a different defect. No thanks.

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

For what it’s worth I have many Gibson guitars and I’m a big fan of Fender and Gibson.

I didn’t like it when consumers had no choice regarding Robot vs Non-Robot. I like to tune my own guitar. Gibson removed the choice.

The notion of keeping my head stock electrically charged just so I could play in tune annoyed me.

Many of the Robots failed in the retail stores because shoppers would play a Robot guitar that was out of tune....they would then grab a tuning key and twist it/attempt to tune the guitar in the traditional way. Doing this can strip the gears in the Robot tuner chassis. I don’t know how retailers could have policed this behavior but many Robot guitars got broken before the got sold.

If it’s not broke don’t fix it. I perceived more hassle and goofiness in the Robot tuners than I saw value.

That’s just my opinion.

Joshiquad, mrmousey and guitarbuilder like this.
  13. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

I have a LP Jnr double cut special, which had auto tune, but whether it was faulty or not I dont know, but it seemed to tune a great deal and the three wound strings virtual sawed through brass nut. Took the tuner off
    and Gibsin replaced the brass nut for a titanium one. Anyone else had this problem? As I say, the auto tune seemed to be constantly tuning up

14. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I can see the benefit to auto tuners, but what I really need is an auto clam correct...

Steve 78, MickM and mrmousey like this.
  15. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

they worked quite well on my Les Paul Jr, but there was something slightly absurd about putting robotic tuners on what's otherwise such a no-frills guitar!

8trackmind likes this.
  16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I love the idea, but have never owned one—therefore, I can’t speak intelligently regarding the subject.

That doesn’t always stop me from stating an opinion. :lol:

Steve 78, Torren61 and mrmousey like this.
  17. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

It’s a fine idea, but given the fact that the average Gibson consumer values vintage appointments, I’d say they were solving a problem that didn’t need solving.

Torren61 and mrmousey like this.
  18. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I see the robot tuners as possibly a good aid for beginners. All I had as a kid was a pitch pipe and a dial tone to tune with.
    I bought a robot tuner Les Paul cm. I gave em a chance and I felt that the idea was sound, but they got "confused" easily and would continually hunt.
    Since I'm not a beginner, I couldn't tolerate them and threw some Gotohs on and never looked back. YMMV.

Torren61 likes this.
  19. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I prefer my robots to be love slaves. Plus they were very ugly. Nice idea, but no thanks. Tuning is pretty easy.

20. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

The 1st run robot guitars are obsolete,you had to pull the tuning key out to get it into manual tune mode, if you turned it without doing that , you stripped the gears in it. Also limited to charging it and not playing it at same time

the 2nd generation tuners were both auto and manual and operated faster , so no more broken tuners. Gibson promised all original 1st run buyers that would get upgraded tuners, of course they never delivered on that.

now you can buy the whole assemble that fits onto the guitar head, a lot more tuning options, and it can charge while you play the guitar. the have them for various brands of guitar

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.