1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson RoboGuitar: I PLAYED IT!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PraiseCaster, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Gibson didn't invent self tuning guitars ...

There is a company called Transperformance that has a self tuning system for gutiars. They have been making it for years, at first it was just available for thicker body guitars like the Les Paul , but now they apparently can install it in Tele's Strats etc...

http://transperformance.com/perform/index2.htm

I saw the Les Paul demo'd at the summer NAMM Show several years ago, it worked great, retuned really fast, and seemed to be dead on in tune.
    Their system replaces the bridge though , doesn't use self powered tuners.
    Jimmy Page bought one , there is an interview with him on the site.
    Also a video of Graham Nash using it and another guy demoing it, really cool.

http://transperformance.com/multimedia/index1.html

For anyone who uses a lot of different tunings seems like a must have to me.

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Gibson didn't invent self tuning guitars ...

sorry , double post

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I think the variaxes have done well.
    I think this new gibson thing has some possibilities. I think sometimes we have a pretty small box that we view utility through... we only see how something can help us do the current tasks we put things through rather than imagining how we might utilize something.

I could imagine some really inventive musicians using the guitar in a way that is the result of a bunch of hours in the studio, garage, bedroom.... I remember hearing some stuff guys like Edge, Mike Henderson etc do with tunings, delays, effects etc that were definitely not in the manual. I remember as a kid watching a really weird looking guy in a studio where my sister worked chaining a bunch of old tube compressors together, laughing like a mad scientist and talking in low voices and then plugging in a funky lap steel and proclaiming "order of the python" "mating seal farts" and making the most amazing sounds that were no where to be found in any manual or demo video...

I remember reading about the Gatton device, Les Paul's weird stuff and the variax interested me enough that I bought one... it won't replace my buckocaster or my other guitars... but, it has possibilities (especially with the programmability) that could be cool in the right hands. I've been messing with that software and I wish they would release a software developer's kit for the variax... I have a couple of ideas that I'm interested in that it would be fun to try...

Anyway, great review praisecaster!, even if this idea is a failed one... Edison used to say that was not such a bad thing. I worked with some folks at Pixar a few years ago and they 'embrace failure' there... The celebrate the risk... I've seen lots of products that never see the light of day.... some of them are brilliant, extravagant, amazingly awesome failures... many of them are still held in pretty high regard in some circles... not for what they could do, but what the led to or what new ideas they opened our eyes to....

now... where is my flying car?

The review is great praisecaster...

4. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Tele-Holic

This is not a Gibson "innovation". The system isn't even a Gibson product. It looks like they just licensed the rights to the Tronical Powertune system. I may be wrong....but I don't think so.

http://www.tronical.com/home

5. blacklinefish

blacklinefish Tele-Afflicted

I should hope so! Gibson is not so large a company that they could R&D every aspect of innovation (including paint, finish, microelectronics). It makes sense that they would license technology, rather than keep a team of engineers around to "come up with stuff." If that was their business plan, then guitars would cost 10x what they do.

--gh

6. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

hmm - there have been some confusing statements made, let's see if I got this straight.

Tronical GmbH is a german manufacturer who researched and developed the tuning system.
    Gibson is the exclusive OEM manufacturer.
    I'm not sure who licensensed to whom...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer

but also there are Fender upgrade kits available.
    http://www.tronical.com/support/support.php?step=2&prevsteps=&language=1&target=2;1;1

watch the video of the guy who developed the thing - it's quite interesting
    http://www.tronical.com/products

on german tv I saw a report where they mentioned the next project will be to fit the tuning system into Grand pianos - that makes sense, imo.

other than that - I don't need a robot tuning system in my Telecasters :D

7. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Friend of Leo's

wouldn't that be ridiculously expensive, like several hundred servos?

8. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

maybe - but to tune a grand piano for concerts on the road is a big job and might be worth the expense.

Sascha Adams said: everyone says it's impossible but I'll prove otherwise.

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

It might be a system where several servos move the tuning servo into position on each string.

10. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

I just wonder how long those things would work. You tune a guitar quite a bit and I would think they'd wear out fairly quickly.

11. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

I guess that's where you'd find out how far Gibson's lifetime warranty extended.

12. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

It is indeed possible that they used incredibly crappy parts in that system, but devices like the servos and electronics in that unit ,are in constant use in all sorts of applications. I think it will prove to be a lot more durable than many of you seem think.

Getbent, I think your post was right on the money. Sometimes a new technology that doesn't have an immediate need breeds innovation like you've never seen before.

Alamo, Tronical is the one who developed the system, and I'm sure they're the ones manufacturing it as well. That makes Tronical the OEM supplier. Just like Gibson doesn't machine their own tuners, pots, bridges, or fret wire in house, they go to OEM suppliers for them as well.

I gotta give big probs to Gibson for creating a product that uses new technology to open doors to the future in a product that keeps its roots firmly in its legacy. Cool stuff.

13. trag-o-caster

trag-o-caster R.I.P.

Did you really just say that?!? :eek:

trag-o-caster
    Gibson Les Paul Haters Club
    "I'm not only the president, I'm also a member"

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh, umm... lovely review though! Consider yourself fortunate to have an advance go around with 'er.

14. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

With a lifetime warranty I'm sure its a non-issue.

Also, how long do normal tuners tend to last?

getbent always has interesting perspectives that I think are based on balanced concepts of history as well as progress.

I would never buy a Variax or a Robo-Gibson, but there are folks out there who would and do... like getbent perhaps.

I would never buy a Strat (again), but that doesn't make them crap for everyone.

Gibson has a lot of opponents on this forum. Corporate behavior is viewed harshly from our laymen perspectives. Nobody really gets angry about Rickenbacker not allowing a lot of retailers post prices, Gibson on the other hand is bashed at every turn. Henry J is a smart business man who is not satisfied just making the same old stuff - he expanded the accuracy of the Historic line, and yet he stretches into Hex Pickup digital guitars and these Robo-tuners.

Will I buy one? No. But my hat is off to Gibson.

15. EasilyAmused

EasilyAmused Tele-Meister

am I missing something...? I'm not sure I understand why people are so opposed to these guitars, nor do I understand the comparison to a variax... a variax does modelling, doesn't use normal pickups, and sounds like an imitation of a guitar. When they do alternate tunings, it is really fake...

This seems like it is basically just an otherwise traditional les paul that stays in tune. I've been going crazy the last few weeks doing some studio recordings where I'm constantly having to re-tune. I've got good ears, electric tuners, etc, but it takes time to get things perfect - especially if I'm in a studio. Most of the gibsons I've owned have had tuning issues and people are always complaining about the quality of tuners that gibson puts on their guitars. Now that gibson does something to get rid of tuning problems while still keeping the guitar otherwise the same in sound/feel people are getting upset...

Sorry, but I'm really confused.

16. getbent

•yeah. my example above was David Lindley... he strikes me as someone who would try something that might be intriguing.
    •I owned a les paul and traded it... just wasn't me...
    • I got the variax to have the banjo sound and the sitar sound for a couple of songs that I do in a band... but I love that you can play the rhythm parts of a song in standard tuning, reach down turn one knob and play slide in open E and never have to sweat it....

some mike henderson type or sonny landreth or someone influenced by them will take this stuff and do something strange and wonderful and we'll all be floored. it just takes enough boredom to get there.... (like carefully nudging between positions on an old strat 3way to get 'out of phase'....

17. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, I am out of the guitar closet: I am bi-guitar. I love my Tele, and my Lester! I'm here, got two guitars. Now deal with it.

:lol:

Thanks bro. And yeah, I felt really fortunate! It made me feel like I worked for a magazine!

18. 6bender

6bender Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

And yet you use a computer.:eek:

I like the guitar. I don't know if I'll ever buy one. I can see where the market is for it, though. I mostly play at home and I'm too lazy to change to open tunings even though I don't have to bore an audience with some stupid story or insight while I'm tuning. So I can see where even I could use it.

19. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

Hey does the Variax do Mandolin too? How's the Banjo sound?

Now I'm interested in a Variax... never thought I'd ever say that.

Slide tunings, Banjo, Mandolin... that would be great - even for a traditionalist like me!

I have been playing a lot of Irish tunes and getting down some Pogues stuff. My Mandolin is pretty piss-poor and I'm too broke for a Banjo right now (although the more I play in Mando and Banjo tunings the better).

Not to further stray off topic, but do you know off hand how much they are used? Was yours used or new?

20. getbent

I bought mine new for 299.00. my assumption is that I'll use it for awhile (love the sitar sounds on 'games people play') after awhile I'll get freaky and put it into a tele. There is a great thread about doing it.... and you can order tele bodies from warmouth.

The open tuning thing is cool and it actually sounds pretty dang good...

Skully is my resident genius on the variax... he can fill you in and he lives close to you.. you could probably try his out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.