Gibson reissues "The Paul" and it's still expensive

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SSL9000J, Nov 11, 2018.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I know right, I've looked at a bunch in shops this year and they are not impressive compared to the higher-end Asian stuff that's out now. You should see my Indonesian made Lakland bass. Not a speck out of place and a perfect player. Even on my brand new-to-me Epiphone, the finish in the F holes is super neat and the binding is perfect.

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I think that it's the price that is putting people off - even though it's pretty close to what they cost in 1978-79 adjusted for inflation. I truly believe that the days of anything built in the USA with a gloss finish, mahogany neck and hard case for less than a $1,300 MAP from Gibson are over. Note that for their 2019 model year the Faded series is gone, and the Tribute series now has the maple neck (like the old Faded series) instead of a mahogany neck like the prior Tribute series.

Of course - who pays MAP for a Gibson or a Fender? And Gibson is known for having blowout sales on old stock - they recently had the 2018 LP Classics (the 2018 model is the one with P90s instead of humbuckers) discounted $800 at Guitar Center - from 11/2 until 11/9 they were $1,499 instead of the $2,299 MAP. At some point they will drop the prices on the reissue The Pauls similarly.

3. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

A stripped down LP. I have never liked that Walnut natural finish but if you getting some nice feel, action and tone, guess that could be overlooked. Much rather have a Studio to retain some looks along with it. Platefire

4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I'm curious about folks who don't like walnut. Walnut is extremely stable, but all over the board in density (and there are gobs of types of it). No clue how musical it is as I don't build with it often, but people will say they like a fairly ugly wood natural (like "swamp ash") and then turn their noses up at walnut.

I kind of like it, but I'd rather build a guitar like this than buy one. The cost of wood here wasn't discussed when comparing to teles. A multi-piece painted alder body will be much cheaper and easier to get than decent 8/4 walnut. Not that the wood on these looks like primo stock, but it's still not cheap in relative terms.

Should make a stable guitar for the long term, though - much more forgiving when sawing is less than perfect.

eallen likes this.
  5. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

(FWIW, the last time I priced decent looking walnut, it was about $10-11 a bd. foot for random widths, and if I had to come up with two boards 8" wide or more, I'd guess 25-30% more than that. Not a big deal to us, but adding even $50 or something to the cost of one of these guitars is a big deal to someone like Gibson who probably isn't making that much on them in the first place.

After cleaning up one of the faded LPs with burstbuckers, I think these plain guitars are a bargain. In that case, kind of an ugly guitar with no extra attention to the fingerboard (so it's never really going to look that nice) or neck, but you can clean up the neck and have a nice used LP with burstbuckers and a hard case for $600. IIRC, the maple cap versions weren't much more - $100 more?

6. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I just found an ad for a 1980 Firebrand that suggested they were $549 (text said "priced below $550"). That works out to $1,784 today, so $1,399 is relatively cheaper.

I have this idea that at some age, prices become imprinted on our psyche and internal inflation adjustments become difficult. I remember when entrees at nice restaurants were $12-$18. Later, I recall when I noticed they were more like $18-$28 and I adjusted. But now, when I see anything over $30, I think (WTF!!!). But over 30 years, inflation probably explains it all.

7. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Holic

I worked in a Lincoln dealership in 76, and remember a baby blue Mark on the showroom priced over $16k. Then I thought, man I can't imagine a car more expensive than that - today I don't think you could find a new car that cheap. But, that $16k is over $70k in today's dollars.

etype likes this.
  8. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

1978 strait into jmp 50, Celestion gt75,v30 & 80's celestion 60 watt greenie mic'd. Some post delay added on 2 parts of the softer singing. But all stock strait in. pre final mix tracking done , wanted to do a song incorporating the blue note, usually play a lil dif than this tho

9. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I remember shopping in early 80s, and I got a use custom for 900.00. I remember thinking 300.00 less was not worth not getting a Full LP. I am not sure in time how much I perceived 300.00 as frankly.

I do recall among the folks I was paying with the scarf-age at the non real paul. So I got peer pressured into the 'real' paul. I suspect the Custom was a one upping thing as I remember standards and a Deluxe in the mix of playing buds at that time.

I love the 84 I have now, and my kids will get it...

10. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

That non real Paul sound plenty terrible enough for me. :cool:

11. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

thanks for compliment

robt57 likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Now why would Gibson reissue a model that was not popular and sells cheap even in vintage ones? Gibson logic I guess....

13. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

I remember $550 ($505?) being on the tag when my dad bought one of these brand new with a hard shell case included. Still have it. Still play it. Still love it.

bftfender likes this.
  14. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

That is a beautiful guitar! Uhhh... what is it?

Zepfan likes this.
  15. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Lots of « I remember back then... » here, and it’s ok. I do remember too. Back in the ‘70’s and early ‘80’s a Gibson Les Paul was not expensive, but your could buy a new car for 6000$ and a house for 20 000$. Are the new Gibsons too expensive? Yep, I think so. But again I believe that they are very good guitars. Anyways, a gallon of gas is almost 6$ up here in Canada...

16. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

If Gibson makes a guitar too high in price they get flak. If they make one dirt cheap they get flak. People say the quality is not there. Because quality to them equals price. A great quality guitar can be 200, 500 ,700 etc.. But not for Gibson.

17. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It's similar to where the switch is on my Special DC. I've never had a problem with it.

- D

hdvades likes this.
  18. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That was first electric. Bought it new in 78. I stupidly got rid of it. I can’t see paying for the new version which I see as inferior to the original. I am searching for the right used one.

19. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

20. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

the appearance is fine i like the wood look , except for the humbuckers, not a fan.

some strong mag low winds p90 or somesuch would be more suitable

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.