1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson R7 - worth it?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by zezone, May 7, 2020.

1. zezone

zezone Tele-Meister

Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing fine. I recently sold two guitars and was not really looking for a new guitar but then someone I know listed a 2013 R7 goldtop VOS that I had played before. It sounds good and is in nearly mint condition apart from a cracked jack plate.

I already have a Lester but the asking price for the R7 seems like it's a deal to me at $2600. I don't know much about used Gibson CS prices. What do you think?

2. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I think I paid about that for my 2007. The newer ones are more accurate reissues (so yours would be closer to vintage than mine), but it's the guitar that matters. Can you play it?

If you like the goldtop, you save a TON compared to a burst.

3. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Afflicted

2600 is a pretty good price. Rarely do I see asking prices under 3000 anymore. And I keep a pretty close eye on them.

They are among my favorite guitars. Great tone, love the necks, and they age correctly, which is a big plus for me. I have an '08 that's starting to get some nice checking and greening under the arm wear. To me, that's cool.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I sold my 2014 R8 plain top last year on craigslist. Listed it for 2900 and let it go for 2700. I think it was fair to both parties, slightly in buyers favor as it should be.

Missed it so much I replaced it with a 2018 R7 which I also love. But I still regret selling the R8.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  5. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

Ladave, wow, that's a good deal.

6. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

That’s a good price. Usually $2500 - $3000 average used.

Mine.

95CED9FB-B5F2-4CC9-8BCA-702FDCF76E69.jpeg

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Avoid buying bargains just because they are a bargain you dont need. Just remember to think: do you really want a Lester? Because expensive guitars take forever to sell.

zezone and scelestus like this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve owned a few, and they were all great guitars.
    I love the big neck.
    That is indeed a good price.
    If you want a “definitive” Les Paul, you can’t go wrong, IMO.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

Yeah, my reply was to the tune of "it's a good deal and if it's a good one then an R7 is a fine guitar," but if you don't need it you don't need it.

10. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Actually I think I confused the price with the CS Nocaster I also sold around the same time. It was $2,700 for the R8, still I good deal I think.

My issue was I did not like the vintage frets, and was thinking I was going to have to refret it in order to enjoy playing it which did not seem to make sense. Looking back I should have just gone ahead and had it done.

scelestus likes this.
  11. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

First year for the Custom Buckers. If you like those babies, it’s a decent deal.

12. zezone

zezone Tele-Meister

This articulates my jumbled thoughts perfectly. I decided to resist temptation. Thanks all for your guidance.

schmee likes this.
  13. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

That’s a good decision if you are unsure, there’s many Gibson’s out there that have barely been played for decent prices if you change your mind

I find a lot of people buy them then are intimidated by such a pricey guitar so they never play it then eventually sell them, they’re out there waiting for you if you get the gas again

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If you're buying a guitar and part of your philosophy includes "what if I decide to sell it later," then you're buying it for the wrong reasons.

A guitar speaks to you and you decide right then and there whether it's a keeper or not. I don't subscribe to the arranged-marriage approach to guitar buying ("I guess I'll learn to love it over time"). Nope. It's the reason I don't buy and sell guitars. I'm the same way with amps and effects: if I don't love it before I own it, I don''t own it.

So you say you love the guitar...the way it plays and the way it sounds...because you've played it before. That's a good reason to get it if you want or need another Les Paul, because it's a known quantity.

I have a 2014 R8 and it is superb in every way.

15. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

If you like it better than your own , buy it and sell yours, unless you want and can afford two.

16. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

That's not a bad reason to sell. If you had hated the refret, then you'd have lost some sales value too.

ladave likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.