Gibson Pure Nickel Strings

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
By sounding fine - do you mean they sound the same and have the same lifespan? Or it's different, but still good enough for you?
I actually used some of the new ones with phosphor bronze and after 4 months they still sounded great, but then I switched to my LAST box of the SAGMB10 and it was identical in sound. I am puzzled as to why they changed the part numbers.....

This on my Gibson J185EC

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
Hearing several claims that GHS used to manufacture Gibson’s strings from about 2004-2020. Anybody know if this is true?

I think I’ll give GHS Burnished Nickels a try, could be pleasantly surprised…

Swirling Snow

Tele-Holic
Hearing several claims that GHS used to manufacture Gibson’s strings from about 2004-2020. Anybody know if this is true?
As far as I know, yes, that is true. At least, that's what the GHS rep claimed.
I've always used the GHS rollerwound ones - the oval shape of the winding makes them stiffer bending sideways for a given lateral tension. Nice mellow sound.

Dave W

Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't looked lately, but in Henry's later years, new Gibsons came with Cleartone strings, which are manufactured by Everly. I would be surprised if Gibson were using two different manufacturers.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
For a few years now, my favorite strings have been the John Pearse and Gibson "Vintage Reissue" pure nickel sets. I would alternate between them every time I changed. Not sure who produced Gibson's strings, but they worked for me really well. Sometime during 2020, the Gibson sets got discontinued. Sometime last year, a new Gibson set of pure nickels came out on the market - I think D'addario makes them now? Has anyone here used both the old and new Gibson sets?

Old:
View attachment 1030668

New:
View attachment 1030669
I've used both, but I have no idea who actually makes them. I currently have a few sets of the new ones that I use on my R9, and really like them. Never used 9's. Always 10's.

sinner_boy

TDPRI Member
I am a big fan of pure nickel strings, it sound warmer to my ears.
I use to use Pyramid or DR, because of they are easier to find in my city.

I'll give the gibsons a try if I can find some.

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
I haven't looked lately, but in Henry's later years, new Gibsons came with Cleartone strings, which are manufactured by Everly. I would be surprised if Gibson were using two different manufacturers.
I never heard of that, but it’s possible I guess. I was talking about Gibson-branded strings, not necessarily what is put on the guitars when they leave the factory. Not sure why Gibson would use a different brand strings when they have their own supply.

Dave W

Poster Extraordinaire

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
I use pure nickel on everything, I have tried most all the brands, and now find the fender branded ones in pure nickel, as good or better than any, and the cost seems to be lower than most, under $5 a set.
I buy 10/2O sets at a time, no music store in this town, so I keep stocked up.

pure tone wise, the nickel sets throwbak sells sound the best, to me, however I can thrash a set in one day, from new to windings falling apart, and they are very expensive. But they do sound stellar for the first 6 hours or so.

I sick with the fenders, at lower cost, and change them regularly.

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
IMO they're exactly the same.

My favorite electric strings out of basically everything out there are the Les Paul Premium strings. Unlike EB's and everything else, they actually do feel like you went down a gauge in terms of stiffness and you can see it with a trem setup as on my strat I had to loosen the springs a bit to get the trem where it was compared to other strings the same gauge. They also come with the neato silk ends. That said, the crappy part about pure nickels is while they're perfect for a month or so after that the wound strings get excessively dead/dark sounding pretty fast. It works well for old guitars which lean bright but if you have a dark sounding guitar they'll make it sound even darker.

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
Really? I don't doubt you, but I did a side-by-side test with GHS boomers and EB Slinky's for comparison. The D'Addario's were warmest of them all.

All the cheap varieties, $5-$6.
If we’re comparing all nickel-plated strings, then I would agree with you that the D’addarios are warmer than the Boomers and EB’s for sure. The Ernie Balls are really bright for 1-2 days but lose their sheen rapidly.

Compared to any pure nickel strings, the nickel plated D’addarios are much brighter.

At least to my ears…

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
If we’re comparing all nickel-plated strings, then I would agree with you that the D’addarios are warmer than the Boomers and EB’s for sure. The Ernie Balls are really bright for 1-2 days but lose their sheen rapidly.

Compared to any pure nickel strings, the nickel plated D’addarios are much brighter.

At least to my ears…

I could see that. Pure nickel leans warm IME.