1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson Picks a New CEO to Steer It Out of the Blues

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by warrent, Oct 23, 2018.

1. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Oh gods...ehehe....may they rest well when the time comes....

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Gibson's guitar business has been solid and is still solid, despite the abominations of Henry's last few years.

Gibson doesn't need a maverick or a visionary. They need a steady hand.

Despite Mr Curleigh trying to look like a hip dude for the music press, I suspect he is actually a boring traditionalist who will let the company focus on its core business.

In other words, just what the doctor ordered...

In the meanwhile, we can still pray, right?

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I call BS.

I have seen zero evidence of this. In fact, what I see is Gibson pumping out better guitars than ever at all price levels for the normal models. I think there were some super budget models (below Tribute) and I have no experience with those.

4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

This guy works for private equity holders, but, yes. They do have more flexibility (depending on how their contracts are worded) than a public company would, though.

5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I recently bought this special edition satin finish "Classic" for $1,800.00, brand new. Beautiful 50s style neck great sounding pickups nothing to complain about build quality wise.

I have since dressed it up with a pickguard, New vintage style tuners(purely for the cosmetics, nothing at all wrong with the grovers it came with), pointer washers and nickel pickup covers.

I had previously had a 2017 Traditional that had a beautiful top, great neck and the gloss finish, loved the feel of the guitar, but even after a pickup switch, I just couldn't get it to sound as good as this classic, so I traded it away.

20180801_153655_resized.jpg

MilwMark likes this.
  6. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Ditto on the guy. The jeans and the hair look like a work to me, but he is coming from several previous jobs that require selling something that has style more than substance, so he might be the right guy. When he used the term cohabitated synergies or something like that, it just makes me wonder why people in the business world need that kind of jargon.

I often loudly state that I got a crap '61 reissue from Gibson that was defective from day one and ultimately cost/lost me a lot of money, but I'm sure that I'm in the minority with getting something that bad. the step up in quality that occurred from the late 1980s to the early 2000s at gibson was significant, they just lost track after that. My instrument was a single case of bad judgement, from what I can tell - the kind that doesn't seem to occur at PRS, collings, etc.

that said, with reference to the mention of modern process above, I loudly proclaim the nighthawk as a super guitar that was really reasonable in cost. I think the figured maple top guitars went actual price of about $1,500 with a hard case 5 years ago (with a map of $1600 or something like that). They are a better design than the les paul, apparently are finished on the plek and the one that I have is perfect. I mean surprisingly wonderful coming from a guy who developed a real hate for gibson after the SG that I got two decades ago as a fresh faced kid who just assumed gibson wouldn't make a bad guitar.

From an outsider's point of view, it seems like the problems that they have are preventable with process improvement (though stringent process makes for a really uninteresting workplace compared to the kind of setup heritage used to have, and it requires making decisions like "we're not going to do that by hand anymore, because X piece of equipment does it better").

bgmacaw likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Go check guitar forum complaints, demos on YouTube, Glassdoor and Indeed employee reviews and numerous other sources. Distracted and egotistical leadership led to a lot of problems at Gibson. This caused demotivated employees from the middle management on down not caring anymore or being concerned about their jobs.

I'm not saying that every product was bad. Many employees still did a good job in spite of adversity. But the problems held them back to a significant degree. Maybe they can have a chance now to really get back on track.

guitrr likes this.
  8. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

If there are any mom and pop music shops around, ask the guy behind the counter about guitars they've had to send back to gibson vs. other manufacturers. When my guitar turned out to be a dud, I took the opportunity at the time to ask the counter guys at local shops if they'd seen anything similar, and they all had tons of stories about guitars with the stain rubbed through, neck problems, bridges out of place on expensive LP supreme guitars, etc. I never heard any of them say "but we have those problems with fender and PRS, too".

Gibson makes a lot of good guitars, but their dedication to avoid making bad ones mixed in has not been that great. the SG that I received would never make it out of fender or PRS - never would've been completed in the first place. the LP faded that I bought subsequently wouldn't have, either, but the price on that guitar was so low for what it is that I think Gibson was trying to serve a market with it that they really couldn't afford to serve with a domestically made guitar.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m pretty close with three shops (sadly for me) and hear a very different story from them. They all say Gibson is consistently producing great guitars.

Same with Martin. “Better than ever” is what I hear most often from them.

Yet you go to “forums” and hear that Gibson and Martin are producing crap.

Hmmm.

I know which I’ll believe.

10. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Holic

He's talking to Wall Street and potential stockholders. IMO the easiest way to enhance the "brand value" is to make good guitars at decent price points.

11. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

I think in this particular theme it is quite the opposite.

More often than not (and "often" is what drives sales) people buy brand guitars for the brand, rather than the item itself. Hundreds of really good quality, double humbucker single cutaway guitars out there, but a Gibson Les Paul is a Gibson Les Paul.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.