1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson P90 SG Help

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by kmaster, Mar 8, 2011.

1. kmaster

kmaster Tele-Meister

Can somebody please walk me through the differences between the SG Special 60s Tribute and the SG Classic Faded?

I mean, I can see the cosmetic differences...different finish, different pickguard, different knobs, neck binding on the CF but not the Tribute, etc...

But how do they compare as guitars?

I'm especially interested in your opinions on the necks. The 60s Tribute is a "60s SlimTaper" neck, while the Classic Faded is "Rounded." How does this compare?

I'm looking for a Pete Townshendy guitar, so the CF would be the better choice, right?

So many vague questions.... :oops:

2. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

The difference as I remember is the Faded models are a lot cheaper. I think you should get an Gibson SG Classic with the 2 P-90's. I think they are discontinuing them so get one while you can. Great guitars.

3. bugbiteaudio

bugbiteaudio Tele-Meister

For a Pete Townshend sound you want P90s. So you will get that either way. Everything else is looks and feel. I have owned and played them both. I personally feel the SG Classic is the better instrument. Usually One piece mahogany, neck binding and I like the feel of the neck better. It is a really underrated guitar with fine appointments. The sg 60s tribute felt a little cheaper.

4. currahee

currahee TDPRI Member

Neck binding on gibson's is def. The only way to go gives the guitar a great finished feel

5. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure Gibson makes any SGs that are one-piece, and certainly not the Classic line...

6. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Although it's personal taste, I fully agree.

7. bugbiteaudio

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. I owned one for a long time and it was most definitely one piece.

8. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

I did not think there were any, but I'll certainly take your word for it.

9. kmaster

kmaster Tele-Meister

So are you advocating the SG Classic or the SG Classic faded?

Further, a secondary question: Which aftermarket P90 would get closest to that late 60s/early 70s Townshend tone?

10. romo

romo Tele-Meister

My Classic (Not Faded) has a one piece body. Not quite sure of the year but I think it is from early last decade. The newer ones I have seen hanging at Guitar Center do look like multi piece bodies.

As far as Classic vs 60's tribute goes, my Classic has a nice beefy neck, not thin at all. I have not played a 60's to see if it is thinner. I like the bound neck and the gloss finish on the Classics, but the 60's tributes do have more color options, and the half guard, which I also like a lot. The Gibson P90's sound awesome, swap the dumb 300k pots Gibson uses for 500k CTS and they sound just like any P90 should.

11. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I picked up a 60s Tribute last week.

The neck is maybe a touch thinner than a modern American Standard telecaster neck, but not by much.

Mine is a four-piece body, though it's really three pieces with a fourth small piece on the lower bout below the knobs, maybe an inch or less in diameter. There's a touch of over spray on the lower horn where the neck meets the body, but nothing too drastic.

As mentioned, the 300K pots do make the pickups pretty warm sounding. Not dark at all, just warm. I'll be swapping the pots out at some point in the next few weeks when I have some time. They're definitely the best sounding stock pickups I've had in a guitar. Great fretwork. Nut was cut really well. I lowered the slots slightly on the bass side, but not by much.

It also has the wider Nashville Tune-o-matic, which I've never cared for, so I'll probably also be replacing that with a thinner GOTOH model.

Overall, I'd put it in the same realm of quality as say a Fender Highway One or American Special model. Same price point, so that's to be expected.

Considering the $200 price difference from stingy Gibson, I'd say the Classic is likely the higher quality guitar. I hate the 50s Gibson neck profile, so that's why I went with the Tribute.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  12. bugbiteaudio

Sorry, I was advocating the SG Classic, not faded.

The stock Gibson p90 pups are the same in both the SG Classic and the SG 60s tribute. AND THEY ROCK. You WILL get that Townshend Tommy tone from either of those guitars without aftermarket pups.

Both of these guitars are great. Biggest diff is the neck. Thin and thick. I much preferred the Fat Classic neck to the skinny '60s neck but that is very subjective.

I do love the half pickguard on the '60s tribute though. Looks great.

13. chillman

chillman Tele-Afflicted

If they made a P90 SG with a bound neck AND trapezoid inlays, I would have bought it a long time ago. I know they did once as a guitar-of-the-week thing, but they're very hard to find. I just can't like a dot inlay Gibson for some reason.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.