1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson P-90's vs everyone else.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Tele-Monster, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

I know this has been done into the ground, but I recently acquired a Gibson SG Special that is slowly becoming a main guitar for live use. I guess my question is this: Pickers that have swapped Gibson P-90's with other boutique brands, was it a great improvement, or were you not as impressed as you'd hoped?

I really don't have much of a gripe against the Gibson's, I just wish they were a bit brighter. I'm leaning towards Lollar, because I have a set in my Nash Tele and my '62 RI Strat and I LOVE both sets.

I've considered upgrading the wiring as well, so I'd be interested in hearing experiences concerning that as well.

Thanks,
    Monster

2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Gibson p90. Also like the Lindy Fralins. You try one Meg pots if you want brighter

Dirtybluegene and RoyBGood like this.
  3. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried and heard a bunch from all the usual suspects. Gibsons and Duncan antiquities are my favorite. The Gibsons grunt more while the antiquities are more airy and complex. The antiquities have a little more clarity so they might seem slightly brighter, but the Gibsons have that classic thick grunt and girth you expect from a p90.

4. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

This comparison was very enlightening for me. I put a set of Sanford Magnetics in my build, and I'm usually a Lollar guy (Canadian dollar was a major consideration). Listen and learn!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3_U_gRCuL8

matt117, mitchfinck and soulman969 like this.
  5. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love the SM's in that video too.

Can't compare to Gibson, but I replaced the P90's in my MP Thinline with Fralins (-10% neck) and they were a definite improvement. Lots of midrange as expected, but nicely balanced. They really want to be dirty with my amp setup and can deliver some scorching sounds. That was a bit of a surprise since I was concerned they'd be kind of weak. Very much the opposite. I wouldn't want anything hotter for sure. They really drive my amp.

6. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have tried just about every major P-90 brand out there, including all of the highly touted boutique brands.

Honestly, I liked most of them for different reasons. They are all just different flavors of "good."

That includes the Gibson P-90s. They are also very good.

For some reason I chased my tail for years trying all of those p-90's, for only incremental changes. I was just curious to see what they all sounded like. I never went that crazy with other pickups, but with p-90's I just kept swapping. Not sure why.

You'll probably be happier keeping the Gibsons and just playing your guitar.

mrmousey, xafinity and soulman969 like this.
  7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

This was good and informative.

I listened to a comparison of various P90s a few years ago and I thought the results were similar. Gibson's have a certain flavor all their own. To me they were a bit less transparent when clean and grittier when dirty.

Personally I found I like Fralin's the best followed by SD Antiquities and Lollars.

8. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Unless you absolutely hate them, keep the Gibson P-90s. Personally, the only time I'd swap for something like Lollars is if I didn't already have Gibson P-90s.

IMG_4713.jpg

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Keep your Gibsons and play your guitar. Great advice.

10. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

If you want brighter then basically you are looking at a lower wind, irrespective of who makes them.

11. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I think it will depend on the other parts of the amplification chain, and what kind of sound you want. For example, the much-maligned P100s in my 95 LP Special are my favourite pickups through my very bright H&K amp.

12. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Check the pot values I believe they were using an oddball combination on the juniors/specials a few years ago. Also the pots could just be on the low side of the tolerance for 500s or you could try a different cap. P90s are odd pickups it's kind of hard to find a bad one even the cheapies tend to be pretty good.

13. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

That is also my impression.

14. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I have an LP Jr. with a 70s P90 in it that is just great, needless to say. I also have an SX Callisto (an LP Special knockoff) that has two cheap ceramic P90s, that - surprise - sound pretty darned good too.

It's a simple, bulletproof design that's hard to mess up.

15. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

I'm playing mostly modern country (so rock), thru an AC30. I swapped p90s a few years ago, in another guitar, and didn't notice much of a difference. I'll take a look at the pots when I get home.

Truth be told, I'll probably just keep the pickups. I'm hearing a lot of "90's are 90's are 90's". Gibson 90's seem to be fairly highly regarded.

16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Love my gibson P90s and antiquities P90

17. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

BIG fan of Sanford Magnetics. Their amps sound incredible too!

18. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

It should be said that the pickups I swapped out were FAR from being traditional P-90's. Stacked ceramic, coil-splittable hum "cancelling" units. I'm sure there's a market for those, but not in a guitar going for the '56 Goldtop vibe.

19. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

I tried a set of Fralins (stock bridge/-15 underwound neck) in my LP D/C Special. I found them to be great sounding pickups. A bit more polite and detailed than the Gibsons. I ended up splitting the difference and using the stock Fralin in the neck position and the original Gibson in the bridge.

20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned several different guitars with P-90's and variations of P90's, and my favorite individual pickup is the cheap ($20 on eBay) Mighty Mite pickup that's in the neck position of my #1 Telecaster. :eek:

It sounds amazing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.