Gibson Original Series

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Gary in Boston, May 9, 2019.

1. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

So maybe it took Gibson going bankrupt to wake them up but they announced the Original Series recently.

It consists of classic, no even cherished models from their past.

They picked certain years like the 61' SG the Les Paul Standard 50's with P90's and my personal favorite the Sunburst Les Paul Jr.

The LP Jr. at $1499.00 list is an American made Gibson pretty much built the way it was. Mahogany neck and body. Nitro finish, nickel hardware case included. They even mention orange drop capacitors for Pete's sake.

No Custom Shop re-issue. No celebrity model. No rarified unicorns with matching prices. Just the meat and potatoes re boot of what made them great in the first place.

I just may consider a Sunburst Les Paul Jr.

What took them so long, I hope it's not all hype or too late.

I did Email them and asked where they are made because it almost seems too good to be true.

Gary

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I am planning to get a junior myself.
    Soon.
    Process of selling a few things to fund it is underway.

mr newhaven likes this.
  3. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Wraparound, big neck, 2 P90s, I couldn't resist. Sounds and feels so good.
    The bridge pickup is big and even a little bit chimey. Neck pickup isn't muddy like some
    neck P90s can be. So glad I pulled the trigger. Now to sell some things to make it work.

IMG_0856.JPG

4. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

That faded Pelham blue SG special is calling my name. I wish the SG Jr came in that color too.

Jimmy Owen and Zepfan like this.
  5. Gary in Boston

Hmmmmmm sounds promising.

Tell me, I know nitro is supposed to be this micro thin coating but any old Gibson I've owned had a well applied almost substantial finish.

Not in the same way a poly finish builds up but in a "tighter" way.

How are the finishes on these for those who own one?

Thanks,

Gary

6. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Cool move, Gibson. That SG Special at $1500 is on my very very short list now. Gonna have to keep an eye out.

7. Gary in Boston

Hey there,

Something I notice with all of the photos I've seen of these is the angle of the wrap around bridge.

My 57' T V model has an angle to the bridge for intonation and most of if not all JR's and specials I've seen have some angle. Some more than others.

So on your special the bridge looks pretty straight across so how's the intonation?

Thanks,

Gary

8. Gary in Boston

Also, does your guitar say where it's made? I Emailed Gibson to inquire but they have not replied yet.............................

Gary

9. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

That's a good question--is it just Nashville and Bozeman now?

10. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

The 2019 SG's are getting rave reviews on Eveythingsg.com. The new guy is turning around this company and all it took was common sense.

jondanger likes this.
  11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

$1500 for a Junior? Those 2xP90 Specials for $850 look pretty good though.

12. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I don’t know why it would be made anywhere other than Nashville. What makes you suspicious of somewhere else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

I'm hoping Gibson makes this in a lefty at some point. Customer service told me that Gibson was going to do some lefty runs from the Original Series later this year, but he didn't know which models yet. Fingers crossed it's one of these babies.

14. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

My bridge is angled, maybe it's the picture that makes it look straight. Intonation is close
    enough for rock and roll.

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Full gloss with neck binding right? Looks great.

16. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm curious also - as far as I know Nashville is the only USA factory Gibson has at the moment (they shut down Memphis); all the photos I've seen of the Original Series models have the "Made In USA" stamp on the back of the headstock.

My SG Standard Tribute is a "2019 model" but it only has the "Made In USA" stamp, not the "2019 Model" stamp that earlier ones had - mine was finished and boxed on 1/19/2019 per the inspection card. As far as I can tell the only difference between my "2019 Model" and the "Modern Series" model is the string gauge (2019 model has .009-.046 strings; Modern Series has .010-.046 strings) - I'm fairly sure the "Modern Series" models, particularly the less expensive ones, retained the PCB board construction.

17. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

love that tv yellow.

18. Gary in Boston

Yes, sorry, it sounded too good to be true so I thought for a brief moment that Gibson, maybe like Fender would make these in Mexico etc.

Now this isn't a bad thing per say and has actually turned out to be a good thing for Fender but after years of Gibson pricing all things vintage-ish too high I was super happy to see these beauties pop up.

As to where they are made I zoomed in on the back of the headstock at one on line dealers and they are made in USA.

So all the flack I've heard over the years that you can't make a great guitar in America w/o charging $$$$ is obviously not true because there they are, a classic, even vintage guitar made in America, by the guys that originally did it at a reasonable price.......... all things considered.

Good for Gibson

Good for us

Gary

19. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

New ownership and management - Henry spent the last 10-15 years of his tenure buying other companies and charging higher and higher prices for the Gibson USA/production line models (not to mention the Historic line that is big dollars) to pay for it, all the while getting into the "marketing spin" of Gibson being a "lifestyle brand", something to "aspire to own". The new management is culling the line a bit, lowering the prices (the current Original Series LP Standard is essentially comparable to the LP Traditionals of the past 2-3 years, but they are $300 less than the "2019 series" LP Traditional that came out in September 2018).

They still have the Historic versions that cost the big bucks - the Historic LP Special is $3,800 MAP; the "regular production" version is $1,600 MAP.

20. Modernelove

Modernelove TDPRI Member

Deleted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.