1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson obviously losing market share, doubles production of Acoustic Guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by warrent, Mar 1, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have had two Bozeman acoustics, a 2003ish J-185 which I regret selling and my current special edition Southern Jumbo slope shoulder model. Both are great instruments, well made and worth the money. Gibson acoustic are the sounds of early acoustic rock, etc.
    I liken Gibson’s current situation to when Fender was acquired by Bill Schultz who lead the rebirth of Fender. Gibson has rid itself of prior management’s reign of stupidity and is rebuilding the iconic brand. I hope and think he’ll succeed. Fender still has a great product catalog if it’s managed well.
    FWIW Fender is now owned by Servco Pacific Capital!

2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

upload_2021-3-2_12-23-7.png

djh22 likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Breweries and other manufacturers with excess capacity or room often will contract to make another company's product, or allow the other company to set up in their building. May be beer, soda, water - virtually anything. Usually not long-term, but it can be. It is common in the beverage industry. I know of several breweries that have brewed and/or packaged Sam Adams around the country.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  4. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

It looks the like the cheapest new Gibson acoustic is over $1600.00

Until they find a way to make an affordable guitar, what is the point?

Boreas likes this.
  5. Boreas

Perhaps that is the plan for expanding. Following Martin's lead.

sixstringbastard likes this.
  6. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Sweet, hopefully this means they’ll offer a non-custom shop AJ again

7. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

1600 USD really isn't that much for a US-made acoustic - about the same what the least expensive US-made Taylors, Guilds and Martins cost - anything lower priced is usually made in Mexico (Martin...), Korea, China, Indonesia...

sax4blues, Dave W, artdecade and 2 others like this.
  8. sixstringbastard

The difference is many of those competitors offer a range of options. That is what Gibson needs to offer to potential customers.

Besides, other than the price tag I really don't see the worship of strictly American made instruments. I've been playing for over 25 years with instruments from all over the globe.

It never kept me from getting busy!

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Gibson doesn't make guitars for the peasantry.

That's what Epiphones are for.

sax4blues and sixstringbastard like this.
  10. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

I’ve tried and tried a bunch of acoustics...and the only one that I keep, use, and adore is the 60s Gibson Folksinger (steel stringer with a 2” nut and a pickguard so ugly it grows on you like mildew) As much as I admire other makers, I’m just stuck on the Gibson acoustics from the 1960s. The crazy thing is, a new Gibson compares favorably with a vintage one in many ways, so they must be doing something right. I wish them success, and I sincerely hope they reissue the F25. I’d be a buyer.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  11. sixstringbastard

Gibson was stuck in a deep ditch and foundering. Perhaps rethinking the less-than-successful concepts of the past would be a good way to move forward.

12. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

No kidding. Prime example: They discontinued the j-15, which was arguably the best value going in acoustics. The move to walnut was a really good one, but the thinner back and sides of the studio instruments made them kind of toy-ish imo- not great for $2000 instruments. The l-00 studio I think is still pretty good, though.

All this said, I’m a Martin guy, but having competitive Gibson acoustics in the marketplace is good for everyone.

13. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Will any of them stay in tune! Will tge headstocks stay on?

14. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love Gibson guitars but the Canadian dollar is around $0.80 US right now. Because of our trade agreement, there's no duty either way so that's a plus.
    I bought my new 2016 $2700.00 CAD Gibson ES-339 Studio on Black Friday (2020) for a sale price of $1999.00. I'd been wanting one for awhile but the CAD-USD exchange rate was a deal breaker for me. The Black Friday deal included an additional year of warranty.

I bought a 2016 store rental J-45 (in October 2019) in excellent condition (new top) for $1700 CAD; no pickup but I installed the L.R. Baggs Anthem in it. Came with the store's 90-day warranty and I was able to add another two years for $50 yearly to it.

On the same day, I bought the J-45, I bought a like-new (except for the aftermarket locking tuners) 2017 Gibson Les Paul Special 100 with P90s for $800 CAD. These were regularly $1500 CAD. I was able to add an additional two years of warranty to the 90-day store warranty for around $40 yearly.

So, this is my way of getting my hands on Gibson guitars.

Actually, I'd like to have a Songbird or Dove but can't afford a new one. IMG_2266.JPG irRZ5siSRNuHd3dNM0hPxA.jpg 59286823259__C3D708BC-CDD3-43EE-8CA8-387DB2EC6FA7.JPG

15. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

G45 Standard is $1299, G45 Studio is $999.

If they're like mine, yes to both.

16. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

can't delete

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I get the concept. I don't understand why you think it must apply here.

18. Boreas

I said "I wonder if...". I didn't say it MUST be what they are doing.

19. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All in all this is good news. I don't know if I'll ever be able to justify owning a Gibson acoustic, even when I reach the point that I can afford one. However, I am fortunate to get to play two vintage and a modern Gibson acoustics on a weekly basis: a 47 J-45, a 70's(?) Hummingbird, and a Dylan signature SJ-200. They are all excellent guitars, and the J-45 in particular is remarkable. I have been able to strum a few other Gibsons over the years and every one of them has been a positive experience.

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

A vote of confidence! I’ve always fancied a Gibson acoustic, one day...................

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.