1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gibson nut slot angle?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Marc Morfei, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I picked up this used Epiphone 339 recently from someone. It's in great shape and plays really well, definitely worth what I paid. Not sure if the original owner had anything done to the nut or not, but setup is great, the guitar intonates perfectly, all the notes are in tune, even up at the top frets.

So here is my question: I am used to Fenders where the tuner pegs are lined up directly with the slots in the nut, and the strings travel in a straight line, breaking only downward. This is my first Gibson-style guitar, where the string breaks sideways as well as down. It seems to create an odd situation right at the slot.

Really here is my question: Does this look normal for this type of guitar? Should there be some kind of string tree or guide to keep the string straight at the nut slot? I guess not, since I never see these on Gibson guitars. Anyway, just looking for reassurance or information. Thanks,

IMG_8449.JPG IMG_8451.JPG IMG_8450.JPG IMG_8391.JPG

2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Totally normal. Beautiful guitar too! I've had the itch recently for a semi-hollow body.

3. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

All that matters. Happy NGD, looks sweet.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Slots should be angled to the tuners.

northernguitar likes this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

That is normal. There is some disagreement with different techs on whether to round the exit of the slot so the string goes straight to the tuner - either way works. The unfortunate thing is with some head designs strings foul with posts from other strings.

6. northernguitar

Illusion, or do D&G slots appear angled?

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

They do look angled, as they need to be so the string doesn't pop out due to having a sideways break angle at the shallow exit.

Edit: I guess that's just my opinion though.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    northernguitar likes this.
  8. northernguitar

Yeah...and that’s not usually something you see on a stock Epi (or Gibson) nut. As good as they make guitars and pickups, the nut on a Gibson/Epiphone usually stink.

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I think it's normal. I make my nut slots into a funnel shape... but that's just me..
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.