Gibson-Murphy Lab: The High Price of Fake Old

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by alnico357, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Frankentronics

Frankentronics TDPRI Member

I just had an idea.

When a display guitar gets a kink, at a guitar store, that guitar gets discounted. How about, instead of discounting, if they put a few extra kinks and tripled the price?

2. qpond

qpond TDPRI Member

great guitars both the dc and sc, cheap and easy to mod, put alnico 2 magnets in mine for $10

3. rick31797

rick31797 TDPRI Member

Heavy relic Murphy lab in Canada is priced over 12,000, then you have 13 percent tax....

4. qpond

qpond TDPRI Member

johnnylaw likes this.
  5. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

ElJay370 likes this.
  6. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

"
    Hari Seldon said:
    But will the chicks in the audience feel it's authentic?
    alnico357 said:
    Chicks in the audience are mesmerized by me, not my guitar!:cool:
    Y’all play music to chickens?

Huh. What’ll they think of next?"

Being a Tele forum wouldn't that be....Chicken Pickin'? <rimshot> and I'm here all week folks

7. KidCharlemagne

KidCharlemagne TDPRI Member

I spilt a cup of tea on my Victoria 518 champ clone a couple of weeks ago. Like an idiot, I wiped it off before it stained. I literally wiped 100 euros off the future resale price.

FortyEight likes this.
  8. Captdan61

Captdan61 Tele-Meister

I think I would simply buy used guitar. I'll admit there are certain things that you can do if your Relic any guitar that I think are advantageous. But most of those involved with the instrument feels rolling the edges especially on the binding I have a Les Paul I've been playing for over 40 years and wear my arm rest on the edge of the guitar The Binding is completely round not a sharp edge anymore same thing on the neck where my hands have been for 40 years it's different to a brand new guitar and I do think that makes your stomach feel better and more comfortable I can't even grudgingly cope with a little bit of artificial wear or scratches or a ding because it mostly buy used instruments and they generally have a dingo to scrape anyhow and I do like Age Two looking Hardware as opposed to bright shiny new looking Hardware. But I still think you better off buying a used guitar. Unless you're absolutely dead set on a specific look and that's between you and God enjoy. I'd kind of feel like a poser played one. Having said all that I'm seeing some of that that looks really good I've seen others about the phony as hell I don't particularly want to buy a guitar that looks like a vintage guitar that I played on the road for 50 years and my Roadies dragged behind the tour bus. We live in a wonderful age you want to buy digital by digital you want to buy analog by analog you want to build your own build your own I want it all. I do find it amusing that Gibson has taken on the play authentic attitude and then they sell instruments that are fake aged doesn't seem horribly aesthetic some of them look kind of cheesy just my opinion no judgement.

aadvark likes this.
  9. BlueGillGreg

BlueGillGreg Tele-Meister

You know a guitar is a relic when playing it prompts you to go out and buy a brand-new guitar with a beautiful finish.

10. mandofrog

mandofrog TDPRI Member

I never met Murphy, but I hear she/he wrote the law for natural relic'ing.

aadvark and jsegovia like this.
  11. bensophoto

bensophoto TDPRI Member

I love relics in stores and that first series of road worn teles (with white pick guard) punched so far above their weight Im sad I didnt grab one

Last year I went out to buy an LP finally after 30 years of playing. Had a few $ in my pocket and that included relic options or 58 or 59’reissues. In my mind the 58 or one of the newer Standards in goldtop was gonna be my jam but maybe a relic

bought a 1800 (CDN) 1998 LP cherry burst. Played and sounded like God compared to 30 other guitars I tried. As an added bonus it stays in tune. It had natural relicing - read ‘its a used guitar’ and as importantly - when it came time to pop the (nicely palm worn) pickup covers off - no qualms about it. Cause it’s my turn to add age for the next person

Sidenote - in the cavity it reads LP58 so i got my 58 in the end ;)

12. ratdoc

ratdoc TDPRI Member

20210608_094807_resized.jpg
    They try on this "lightly road-worn" P bass...

aadvark, jsegovia and mandofrog like this.
  13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

brookdalebill and Double Stop like this.
  14. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

These were 1599 dollars around a year ago for a limited run. Try and find one now.

Dirtybluegene likes this.
  15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

All this stuff is a little nutty and just part of the whole insanity around vintage guitars.

I just watched a video this morning from Emerald City guitars.. they were trying to sell a 1967 Tele for $10k with:

- New Frets
    - New Nut
    - New Lollar Pickups
    - New Bridge with non-original compensated saddles
    - Repaired/semi-refinished paint
    - Non original case

There was a lot of complaining in the comments about how ridiculous it was. The only things left on it original were the wood, control plate, tuners, and such. They didn't say if the pots & switches were new, with all that work they might not have been.

Dirtybluegene likes this.
  16. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like George Washington's Axe. Maybe they should call the Telecaster "the George Washington Model".

jsegovia likes this.
  17. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

I watched the Andertons episode on these last night. The ultra light don't have dings, but the rest do. Pete was even mentioning that the Murphy lab will dent and ding the neck for realism even though some don't like the feel of neck dents.

For people who want a new Gibson built to vintage specs, the regular custom shop models exist. The Murphy Lab guitars are for those that want the look and feel of a vintage guitar without spending vintage prices.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Frodebro and Double Stop like this.
  18. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

100 million, still maybe.

Dik Ellis likes this.
  19. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

VillainSean likes this.
  20. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

Sorry gang, this old fart doesn't get the relic BS. I have a CS Nocaster NOS, which was $400 less than the relic model. I prefer to relic my axes myself.

Hari Seldon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.